gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975600 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 12:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Rom Skatepark is now helmet compulsory
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rom Skatepark is now helmet compulsory  (Read 10645 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Rom Skatepark is now helmet compulsory
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:11 PM »
.....As of right now, don't expect to ride Rom without a lid.  Any age, don't matter.

The rule has been forced upon Rom, and the owner has no recourse.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: Rom Skatepark is now helmet compulsory
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01 PM »
maybe its my age but i think all skateparks should have a no lid no ride policy, i remember when southsea introduced the no lid no ride policy due to insurance purposes in the mid 90's, no one liked it at first but after awhile everyone got used to it even though they supplied the nice pink protecs  :LolLolLolLol:

i bet its saved a few peoples skulls since then too!!!

but it is a nice feeling riding with the wind through my hair (well whats left of it :LolLolLolLol:)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I think any and all parks should be the same.

If you race you have to wear a lid.

:daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:08 AM »
I have to disagree I'm afraid.  But my opinion isn't relevant here, it's all about Rom.

There will be a supply of rental lids (expect them to be pink too), and a new stock of lids for sale.

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:58 AM »
i totally believe everyone should wear lid .i always get on at younger end about ti when im at park (which isnt that often nowadays)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13 AM »
all skate parks should be the same,weigh up the options should anything go wrong- £30 helmet/possible brain damage :-\

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:53 PM »
And if you think for one minute that a £30 pisspot is going to save you, you're a misguided fool.

I'm predominately a vert rider. Quite a poor vert rider at that. However, you will never see me ride a full vert session without a fullface mx lid on. £260 I paid for mine, and happy to spend every one of those pennies.

Like I said, this is not a helmet debate, especially one that involves my opinion. 

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Quite a few pink lids around this morning :)
One kid covered his with a beany, Looked like a rasta :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42 PM »
John was worrying about it, but it'll be easy enough to enforce after a few weeks. Most riders already wear a pisspot at Rom anyways.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08 AM »
this is not a helmet debate

Thank fook for that!
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:15 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Don't worry Daz, I'll be fuelling some fires soon enough - there's every chance you'll see me in a pisspot this year at some point.  You can rest assured it won't be through choice though.

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 12:19 PM »
You can rest assured it won't be through choice though.

Why?  ???

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Well, this has always been a bone of contention with me.  Pisspot lids were never, ever designed to protect us from blunt force trauma. There were intially designed to protect the wearer from small objects falling from above.

Skaters started to wear them to protect themselves from getting nailed on the melon by their own board after hitting eject in a pool or some such.

As is often the case, we as BMXers simply followed the skaters trend.

Now, being the weirdo I am, I find that if I ride park or mini in my fullface lid I crash more. A lot more. The feeling of invincibilty and all that bollocks.  For me, the cons outweigh the pros. I'd rather take my chances lidless than go home crippled every session which is pretty much what happens. As you know, I have big issues with my legs, shoulders and back.   Or I don't ride and go home with the hump.

So, if and when you see me in a ProTec, it'll be in a helmet compulsory park and in my eyes I'm still riding lidless. It will never be my choice to wear one on the basis of protection.

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 02:22 PM »
All good points Rob (even if i do think I'd rather hit my head on the ground IN a pisspot, than without one).

What about a "real" open face helmet Rob? Like we all had back in the 80s.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:44 PM »
All good points Rob (even if i do think I'd rather hit my head on the ground IN a pisspot, than without one).

Like Billy BMX, SBD's boy always used to wear a fullface BELL MOTO, Now wears what looks like a snowboard helmet, :shocked: Not seen him to ask him what promted the change.

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Like Billy BMX, SBD's boy always used to wear a fullface BELL MOTO, Now wears what looks like a snowboard helmet, :shocked: Not seen him to ask him what promted the change.

Billy has been wearing a ProTec but one of the ones with "ears". A few BMXers use them now (including Mike Aitken). They were used in the 80s as BMX race helmets, and are often used for canoeing. No extra head padding, but a bit more face protection.

I was meaning more like an open face Motorbike lid. One at least designed to protect your head from smashing on the floor

JT71

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04 PM »

Billy has been wearing a ProTec but one of the ones with "ears". A few BMXers use them now (including Mike Aitken). They were used in the 80s as BMX race helmets, and are often used for canoeing. No extra head padding, but a bit more face protection.

I was meaning more like an open face Motorbike lid. One at least designed to protect your head from smashing on the floor

I'm guessing, I have no evidence to back this up mind, that an open proper motorcycle lid, like the one you refer to Alex, would be deemed higly uncool. It's sad that that should matter, but I guess to the majority of kids nowadays it does. 

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I know the helmets you mean Alex, Think the racing rules changed last year and they were outlawed in BMX racing. Must admit only ever saw one person wearing one.

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I'm guessing, I have no evidence to back this up mind, that an open proper motorcycle lid, like the one you refer to Alex, would be deemed higly uncool. It's sad that that should matter, but I guess to the majority of kids nowadays it does. 

I was more asking Rob why he doesnt use an open face Motorbike helmet, so im sure there is a better reason other than they aint cool.

I know the helmets you mean Alex, Think the racing rules changed last year and they were outlawed in BMX racing. Must admit only ever saw one person wearing one.

They are/were pretty common on the BMX track. Do you have to have a full face to race now?
Are open face helmets outlawed on Motorbikes on the road now?

JT71

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 03:14 PM »

I was more asking Rob why he doesnt use an open face Motorbike helmet, so im sure there is a better reason other than they aint cool.

oh yeah I see, I was talking about BMXers in general thinking they'd be uncool.

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16 PM »

BMXers in general just use piss pots, or nothing. Rob said he'd rather use nothing, than a pisspot ... hence my question about using an open face

JT71

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 03:26 PM »

BMXers in general just use piss pots, or nothing. Rob said he'd rather use nothing, than a pisspot ... hence my question about using an open face

yeah i get you now.

I reckon my piss pot has saved me from quite a bit of pain. I do see Rob's point that they won't protect you from huge impacts/blunt force trauma, but the odd head to coping/deck or bike on your head incident I think they do a good job.
I don't ever ride without it, and I have had a few offs, I ought to perhaps buy a new one, the polestyrene LOOKS entact but it's hard to be sure.

i imagine if you fell in a mini ramp and your bike landed on your unprotected head peg first the damage would be much worse than if you didn't have a lid on, even a pisspot would be better than nowt surely?....but then it could catch you in the face too.

SaMAlex

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 03:32 PM »
I think I agree Joe. A piss pot IS better than nothing, esp if you are just rolling round a mini or skatepark. Sure, that BIG crash might always happen but its all about risk minimisation.

And if you think for one minute that a £30 pisspot is going to save you, you're a misguided fool.

there's every chance you'll see me in a pisspot this year at some point.  You can rest assured it won't be through choice though.

Come on Rob, where are you? Helmet Debate or not, you cant go making statements like that and not expect people to ask questions!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29 PM »
FFS, I thought the WASN'T a helmet debate?!?!  :LolLolLolLol:

It's not often this happens Rob, but I'm against you on this one. I wear a Bell Moto 7 for the big stuff, always will, come to think of it, I've always had Bell (started with a red Moto 3) when I switched to full face. But I'd much sooner have a pisspot on than nothing at all when riding parks in general.  As Alex says, it may not be ultimate protection but it'll hurt a lot less than nothing at all.

I will now sit back and watch this post rapidly deteriorate after the word 'helmet' and 'bell' were used in the same reply!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

JT71

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 04:32 PM »
debating is good...there's some master debaters on RAD so it should be good! lol.

(note: i am in no way calling any of the contributers to this thread w4nkers. that would be mean and wrong)

Daz, I think Rob would agree it'll hurt less wearing a pisspot than nothing, but I think he makes a good point of it giving a false sense of security.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Rom Skatepark is now helmet compulsory

gfxgfx
gfx gfx