gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975593 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 03, 2024, 04:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  headsets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: headsets  (Read 1995 times)

acky

headsets
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Ive been after some new forks, but most of them say they are for internal headsets only. Problem is my bike does not
have an internal headset.  So is there anyway you can convert the forks to fit or can you get them that fir without out any mods ??

JT71

Re: headsets
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33 AM »
doesn't this mean that newer forks just have the lower race built in? but they'll still work with an external headset you just won't need the lower race that comes with it?

I might be wrong.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44 AM »
You have to use a bottom cup/bearing setup which has a 45 degree angle seat on it like a solid bikes or similar I think.
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I might be wrong.

You are!  :LolLolLolLol:

Some forks fit both internal (new) and external (old). Both headsets have a "lower race" but they aint the same. "Internal only" forks have the lower race as part of the fork. Its an angled step for the lower bearing to sit on.

You should be able to find some forks that take both styles. I think that loads of race BMXs still use external headsets.

acky

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30 PM »
so, if they say internal headset only. I should avoid these ???

madmike-bmx

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:58 AM »
look for a set of odyessy dirt forks or  race forks , both good forks and will last for ages  and if you cna find them on ebay they will be pretty bloody cheap ahahh

acky

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03 PM »
so a internal headset, the top half of the bottom cup is built into the headtube, this why its flared out. Then at the bottom of the steerer is a flange to take the ball race. I cant see a bottom cup.

But a external you have the top cup pushed up inside the top tube & the botton cup is fixed  to the bottom of the steerer

So im guessing the bottom of the steerer should really be the same on both types of headset ?? Because couldnt i knock of the flange on a internal set, unless they are wlded onto the forks, that say internal only  !! :(

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06 PM »
 :) No.Not all forks that are made for internal headsets have a built-in lower crown race but these  will still not fit a regular external headset frame.Best off going with regular forks or could be an expensive error :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:10 PM »
So im guessing the bottom of the steerer should really be the same on both types of headset ?

They are a totally different system, not the same at all. Internals are a self contained bearing that needs correctly angled supports top and bottom. This support comes from the shame of the inside of the frame, and the forks (or the push on race if you dont use "internal only" forks)

, unless they are wlded onto the forks, that say internal only  !! :(

There're not WELDED on, they are actually part of the fork itself. Its not where the bearing runs on but its shaped at the correct angle to take the bearing race.

"internal headsets ONLY" forks really are ONLY for internal headsets. But you can get forks for both.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:37 PM by S&MAlex »

acky

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08 PM »
thanks for your comments, they have helped alot. Just been reading up on forks, i have to avoid the ones with built in crown race

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  headsets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx