gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 03:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Newbie girl needs advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newbie girl needs advice  (Read 9916 times)

Emmee

Newbie girl needs advice
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Hey all, I've always wanted to get a bmx and now at the grand old age of 23 I've decided the time was right to finally buy one. I've found it quite difficult searching for bikes online and trying to work out if they'd be big enough for me. If anyone could recommend a decent entry level bmx for me, I'm 5'7" and would like to spend up to about £150. Any advice for getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Newbie girl needs advice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43 PM »
with 150 in your pocket you are better off looking at a decent second hand bike as £150 isnt going to buy you much to be honest, you should also what style ofriding you are going to do, park, street, race, flatland as this will influence the bike you buy.

Keep a look out in ther for sale section as there is always a bargain to be had, I think snav has a nice new school up for grabs at the moment at a great price

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47 PM »
welcome to Rad, have a good look around the site, talk to a few people, see what kind of bike your after..and are you single >:D pics please :LolLolLolLol:

gog

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:24 PM »
welcome nice to see another girl on here though the guys on here are legends and very funny.tell me what kind of bmx you are looking for as im an ex mechanic and have a couple of new school bmx and an old school for sale the new school is a new khe tripple threat in brown im looking for £130 on that.but im not really trying to sell you anything but if i can help i will

Emmee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice so far, I realise £150 isn't much but I didn't want to spend too much before getting started. Ideally I'd like to be able to get a bike I can use at the local race track, jumping in the woods and something I can ride to work. I've grown tired of my mountain bike.

mattuknc

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice so far, I realise £150 isn't much but I didn't want to spend too much before getting started. Ideally I'd like to be able to get a bike I can use at the local race track, jumping in the woods and something I can ride to work. I've grown tired of my mountain bike.
Welcome Emmee, I'm new here too!  :) I also have a dusty mtb that only comes out when our daughter goes on the back!
I went for the 'build it yourself' route. A few second hand parts but bearings all new, that sort of thing. So you could try that while you're winding down the mtb. You'll end up with the bike you want, it just might take a little longer to put together.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Eyup lass.
If you are looking for something fairly Old Skool that can do a bit of everything then Madd Dog's Haro might suit: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=125014.0 .
I have the same bike that I raced all last year, and it's also stood up to some light jumping [with my weight aboard  :10_2_12:] and a few ramps.

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Snav has this I think still - a lot of bike for the money, set up for park so not sure if suitable..  :-\

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=124838.msg1199822#msg1199822

Emmee

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I really should have put more thought into this thread before I posted, anyways I'm in Kent too, so if anyone has any recommendations for there, then that would be awesome.

nosher70

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Ive just got lucky and back into BMX by buying a complete hoffman mid school for £250. I think your budget is a little low and agree with the buying secondhand idea. Once youre hooked, it will be easier for you to upgrade parts etc. Im getting the hoffman chromed but it will take a little while to sort......

:-)

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Welcome to the site girl. It doesnt matter what your first bike is, in three months time you will realise its not what you want and you will get the bug and spend a fortune  :LolLolLolLol:
Cheers
Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Hey, sid's correct, the bike that Snav69(Paul) has for sale is really good for the money, a good size for you and will be put together really well. Oh and not only is Paul one of the nicest blokes in the world..ever, he has a really nice bum  ^"^

Welcome to Rad  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Hey, sid's correct, the bike that Snav69(Paul) has for sale is really good for the money, a good size for you and will be put together really well. Oh and not only is Paul one of the nicest blokes in the world..ever, he has a really nice bum  ^"^

Welcome to Rad  :daumenhoch:

Welcome , speak to Paul (snav69)  he's a top bloke you can trust ,                                                                                        Paul you owe me a tenner  :LolLolLolLol:

Darren  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

griff

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Welcome emmee
agree with the others, definitely go for 2nd hand - you should get something decent if you're patient, new stuff for that money will be a false economy as it will only break/need upgrading etc.

The VW Doc

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Welcome emmee!
I am in East Sussex (so not that far away)
I too have currently got the bug (I am into VW's as well) for old skool BMX's and found this place to be great for parts, information and expertise!
I am currently working my way through a DP Firebird build that I bought second hand for £40 and a free Mk1 Raleigh Super burner

IMHO the old skool BMX is much cooler than the new school ones!

And a BMX having 20" wheels means that all the older frames are of similar sizes.

Welcome along - ind if you need some local help and advice let me know

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Lots of people from here in Kent, Sussex, Essex and London, and most of us are capable of cobbling together a perfectly good bike for £150.

Spend some time having a read, see what you might prefer but to be honest, anything will do for a first ride.

Whereabouts in Kent are you?  My ex might still have her bike for sale, she's in Kent too and her bike would be perfect for you.

PM me for more details if you're interested.

Welcome to the site  :)

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Welcome to rad ;)
Griff loves BUM..

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:08 AM »
'grand old age of 23' ffs you are a child mrs.  :LolLolLolLol:

Most folks on here are average 40

best of luck getting a bike - mid school GTs are a good start... Vertigo's or Performer's often come up on ebay for not a lot

something ike this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT-Performer-BMX-need-TLC-/180659910988?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a102b794c
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:

madferret

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29 PM »
plenty of second hand bargains out ther i just bought a trail series pro for 100 squid and its mint so look on ebay see what you like and ask the chaps on here if its any good they will tell you to buy or not and welcome to rad  :daumenhoch:

slammed230merc

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Hey emme welcome I haven't been in here long but I've been to a few private sesh and had a blast the guys are all friendly and like someone said average at about 40 in 36 v soon and have only just started riding so 23 is good  :coolsmiley: I have a friend who has a mid school gt vertigo for sale its had a complete strip down and full paint which is in the rs focus green its got mag wheels and a load of other new parts he wants £100 for it here's his number if you or anyone else is interested 07828432442 ask for rob   8) hope you enjoy it as much as I do

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Hi emmee, I am also a newbie here but I did notice this shop has a sale on some frames - £59.99.

Hope you find something...

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/category/1389/5999_Frames_Clearance?utm_source=WinstanleysBMX&utm_medium=WinstanleysBMX&utm_campaign=RHSAdverts

Mate, you really can't advertise a competitors BMX shop on this site, you will get thrown out well sharpish, not to mention its bloody immoral.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Welcome to the site emmee.  The glowing welcome you have received is pretty much standard on here, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that most here are 35-40 year old blokes, and you are a 23 year old 'lady'.  Nothing.  ;)

Seriously, welcome and enjoy.  Hope you get fixed up sharpish with a nice bike
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Kuwarii

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Sorry, didn't realize the site was attached to a shop so all said comments removed.    :'(

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Mate, you really can't advertise a competitors BMX shop on this site, you will get thrown out well sharpish, not to mention its bloody immoral.
 ???
Fook me there's gonna be just you left on the forum once this new rule kicks in.
 ;)

Jase you are making up your own 'rooles'  ::)  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Newbie girl needs advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx