gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 01:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Aero reflex frame & forks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aero reflex frame & forks  (Read 9654 times)

J69

Aero reflex frame & forks
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Hi guys, I'm about to embark on building an old school bmx & one of the more affordable frame & fork sets out there seems to be the aero reflex. Now I was big into bmx freestyle back in the early to mid 80's & owned many bmx's, the best of which was a DP FIREBIRD freestyler with skyways, i cannot for the life of me though remember the aero reflex. I remember the make aero, I had & broke a pair of aero zytec mags, (you'll never beat skyways) but the question i need answering is; Are aero reflexes any good (I know they are blatant GT pro performer copies), but they look cool & are they strong as I want to ride the bike as well. One other thing, just how much should I be paying for an aero reflex frame & forks? Your help & opinions guys would be very much appreciated, cheers.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Aero reflex frame & forks
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Hi J and welcome, Aero is a good little frame to get you started, I had one back in the day and loved it.

Not had one since my BMX rebirth but I've heard the rear foot platforms get in the way of our adult big feet so you may need to chop them off.

Rob  :daumenhoch:

Beelzebug

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Hello and welcome  :)

I am in pretty much the same boat as you, just recently got myself an aero frame and forks and am currently in the middle of sourcing all the parts for the build, should be done in the next month or so...hopefully  ;) Havnt owned a bmx for well over 20 years.

As for the cost...it seems to vary, I was watching them on the net for over a year before I actually decided to buy and build one. Prices look like they are on the up, but theres still a few bargains to be had, a lot of them now are £70-100...even saw some on the net advertised for £195.

Rad members so far have been very helpful both with sourcing parts and questions about stuff  :daumenhoch:

punkdSICO

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Hi - I cant say if they are any good as I have one of those NOS ones, still in its original box and never assembled.  I think ill build it over the winter.  I have read a few comments that they are a nice ride as quite compact so make thinks a little easier..

Regarding prices:  I paid just under £100 for mine (delivered) a few months back and I think they are pretty much the same price now.  So, a very nice frame for relatively small money..

Keep us updated..

Paul

Offline tobytyke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I bought one a few year back, NOS in the box £35

Built it up just to roll round with the kids, rides really well tbh ..

As said, good frameset for little money & a good starting point

Lee  :)

punkdSICO

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I bought one a few year back, NOS in the box £35
Hey Lee - feck, that was a good price!!  I have watch lots of these go through ebay and typically sell for 100, sometimes boxed ones go up to £140.  Im actually surprised they dont have a little more street-cred' as they have everything going for them: they look nice and they are English.  Maybe because they are quite a few NOS available, prices are low..

I keep thinking about selling mine in the box before I build it as built, I will loose money on it.  But then I keep hearing people say they ride nice so then think ill keep it as a real throw around bike..

Paul

J69

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Cheers for all your opinions guys, I'm really st :daumenhoch:arting to warm to the idea of buying a NOS one, thers's one on the bay at the moment but it is slightly overpriced, I'll keep looking. Ideally would love another Firebird freestyler frame & forks like I had back in 83 but these are now selling for silly money, god I wish I'd put it in parents loft & left it gather dust over the years instead of selling it for peanuts! Aero reflex it is then for me, preferably boxed NOS & at the right price, if any of you know of one, let me know - cheers.  :daumenhoch:

Offline tobytyke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:46 PM »
£35 NOS  :shocked: obviously prices are alot more nowadays
They are a good frameset if you ask me, everybody has to start somewhere
Once built up it will look good ( GT Performer )

These are the kind of bikes we used to knock around as kids
None of these Hutch's, TA's or Rippers and the like
Those were for the fooling rich kids, but we had enough fun with what we had

I have just bought a exact frameset of my 1st BMX, probably less cred than a Reflex
I personally don't care what people think, its the Sentiment of it
And once that bike is built I will never sell it

I could if I wanted buy top end frames & kit to go on it
But I wouldn't wanna ride the fooker & couldn't justify them just sitting

You don't have to spend mega to enjoy this hobby, everyone's in it for different reasons
Get the bike built & get it rode  :daumenhoch:

Lee  ;)

punkdSICO

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Hey Lee - good comments..  Sorry, I missed the part where you said "a few years back".  I thought it was a recent purchase for £30..

J69 - if you are looking for a Reflex, firstly, defo get custom decals for it as the stock ones make the bike look cheap (IMO).  Maybe consider a full bike?  eBay say's a complete bike sold for £150 a few days ago.  Okay, it was pick up only which drives the price down, but this does show how little you can spend on a really decent Reflex..  There is another current listing with a BIN of £250.

Let us know how you get on..

Paul

Offline tobytyke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Think I bought it about 3yr back

Only built it up last year & just go on it with the kids

I like it tbh, looks very retro  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

J69

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Think I bought it about 3yr back

Only built it up last year & just go on it with the kids

I like it tbh, looks very retro  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

That looks very cool mate, I definately want one!

punkdSICO

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 03:59 PM »
As per what J69 said - very sexy!

ta,

Paul

punkdSICO

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:34 PM »
mad money...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-AERO-REFLEX-FREESTYLE-/250877675161?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a69798699
yeah, twat..  And they want £25 postage!  If someone paid me £850 for a £250 bike, I would deliver it for free and offer them a blowy..

Paul

Offline tobytyke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47 PM »
The thing is he probably things the bike is worth that  :idiot2: :idiot2:

Fookin chancer & it's people like that who are killing this hobby for the genuine enthusiast's  :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

E-mail the cnut and tell him he's a cock-a-doodle-doo  :D

Lee  ;)

Beelzebug

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Yeah, thats probably the most expensive one I've seen advertised...'kin silly money...

As I said earlier, I am in the process of building one too, hoping to come in around the £300 mark...on budget so far with about 50% of the parts I need bought, looking to use decent used or nos bits, mostly from the period, buying as and when the right bit at turns up on here or ebay at the right price.  :daumenhoch:  But there will be a few compromises as I plan to ride the bike  ;D

Offline tobytyke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 07:13 PM »
I would have thought on here would have been your best bet for sourcing parts
Ebay is getting way out of hand price wise imo !!

punkdSICO

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM »
I would have thought on here would have been your best bet for sourcing parts
Ebay is getting way out of hand price wise imo !!

For sure but, you also get crazy prices in here but our forum etiquette seems to stop people replying "are you frickin crazy?"  Im sure Im not alone in often buying stuff off ebay then seeing the same item being listed in here for 200 or 300% more!!

But back to your point, yes, generally speaking, people on here do know what something is worth and list a price appropriately.  People in here can also factor in the fact that there are no ebay fees plus, I expect this accounts for the majority, people feel they dont mind taking a small price hit for the sake of simplicity and forum community spirit..

Love and harmony..

Paul

deeman

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09 AM »
That Aero on the bay is stupid money!not even dia compe brakes!i would want a go on his missus as well,and she better be fit!!!

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Welcome to the site.

I'll be selling mine soon.  Will put up pics over the weekend  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56 PM »

not a bad framest imo here's my old one , i think i sold it for a couple of hundred quid complete

J69

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Hi guys, I've got me an Aero Reflex frame & forks, was watching two over the weekend, both NOS & still in the original box with the decals still in the sealed bag with the original Aero paperwork. Got out bid on the 1st one that went for £175!! I was willing to go to £130 for a NOS one, anyway the following day I won the other frame I was watching for a bargain £94!! To say I was pleased is an understatement. Frame turned up today & is mint, chuffed to bits. By the way, have any of you seen the complete bike some complete chancer is trying flog on the bay right now with a bin price of £3000! & no I haven't added an extra zero, some people......

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41 PM »
Hey fella,

Welcome to the addiction that is 'Old School BMX'  :daumenhoch: I got hooked back in Nov 09, i won a complete Aero Reflex for £235. The 1st pic is roughly how i won it & the 2nd is how it ended up after some tinkering, one day i might get the frame powdered in lavender.....though the chrome does look lush :smitten:

Congrats on your winning bid, enjoy the build & post up some pic's when your done :daumenhoch:

punkdSICO

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42 AM »
one day i might get the frame powdered in lavender.....though the chrome does look lush :smitten:
Mate - DEFO do not get it powdered!!  Old school bikes in Chrome are becoming rarer and rarer.  Sure, if the chrome is shagged, consider a paint job but don’t ditch good chrome!!

J69 - great news you got a Reflex..

Paul

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Welcome to the bank-balance-draining hobby that is o/s BMX fella and congrats on the NOS Reflex for £94, I'd say that's a good deal myself despite the £35 price tag on them a few years back, we can't get those now :shocked:

Best advice is take your time and try not to just build it out of NOS gear, it will be a waste of money. Grab yourself a cheapish set of NS Tuffs and you're half-way there mate as you will build it, ride it and a week later be trawling through ebay looking for a bigger frame as you'll be completely hooked (and a bit annoyed by the rear frame platforms catching your shoes!)

You will deffo get your money back (or very close to it) at that price on the frame though :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Aero reflex frame & forks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx