gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975600 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 06:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  bit of a stupid question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bit of a stupid question  (Read 8410 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
bit of a stupid question
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:59 PM »
But i've always wondered how these new 'cool' companies become so cool so quickly?

Now the likes of S&M, Standard, odyssey and Hoffman have been there and done it (although it would seem Hoffman isn't quite as cool a name anymore with the kids)  but the likes of Eclat, Cult, Subrosa and so on, it seems they just appeared and were imediately classed as 'cool'

just an observation i guess  :-\

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: bit of a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03 PM »
What a stupid question.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:04 PM »
i know  :-[   i'm off to punish myself  ;D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Cheers Glen, I never knew Eclat was to do with WTP  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Subrosa was Ryan Sher wasn't it  ???
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:22 PM »
i think its basicly down to the internet, back in the 80's & 90's the only way you heard about new companies and the riders was through the magazines or comps

bit like rock bands used to tour for years building up fan bases and slowly growing bigger whilst on the road

now with the internet you can reach a far larger amount of people in a far shorter time

there are bands out there who have had hit albums before they have even toured

all these new cool companies market themsleves very well, the internet allows them to find the best riders, tap into the latest trends, get people talking about the company etc...

Toblerone

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:41 PM »
I know what you mean Pickle, it almost seems to be 'cool brand of the month' sometimes....  ::)

I guess heavy internet marketing and some nice video edits do wonders for a brands profile!

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:14 PM »
its where the seat stay and the chain stay are made from one tube and it loops round at the back where the dropout is welded .............................. :-X   

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:29 PM »
It's different to the old years where company's had to work hard to be the best

now it's the underground dark one's that are cool for not being to big - when they are to big a every one loves them they get put to the side for the next company

it happened with the skate scene in the 90's - when company's like santa cruz - powell - vision ~ were cool but then the riders started to have there own little companies start to run - plan B - chocolate - sma - and sorts

if it's too big and popular then the kids don't like it - it just ain't cool  >:D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11 PM »
has anyone noticed how much hate the kids have for parts/bikes they think are uncool ?

was on a site where someone had 9" rise bars and the amount of abuse the guy got ! unreal

not like the guy had a burner...... ;D

lodge

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Its all down to the Riders the brand sponsors.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Subrosa was Ryan Sher wasn't it  ???

Yep...  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

JT71

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18 AM »
has anyone noticed how much hate the kids have for parts/bikes they think are uncool ?

was on a site where someone had 9" rise bars and the amount of abuse the guy got ! unreal

ha ha, that's so true, my bike get's some funny looks, it has so much uncool going on it's unreal. Chrome bars that are relatively small, front brake, metal pedals, seat i can sit on and pedal, stickers and most of all a proper shaped frame that isn't sub 5lbs and a fat old rider who can hardly ride! but it's got a sheild on the head tube, and that balances all the uncool...fact!

I think BMX now is like anything, you get your product, even straight from a Taiwan catalogue (not that I'm saying they all do this, or that there's owt wrong with the products), stick your hopefully cool logo on it then get some way cool riders to use your product and hope. I'm sure for every Subrosa, Cult, Eclat etc there's another company who just didn't cut it.

Someone told me about the superdry thing, might have been S&MAlex, that all took off cos Beckham wore their shirts, now that brand is massive and the dude who started it off is worth £180 million. There's nothing super or dry about the products, they don't have any special "dry" system, they're not super and they're not from Japan...but they got the marketing right.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:21 AM »
what's Superdry?   ???  never heard of it  :-[

christhejob

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39 AM »
it's the clothing brand with 8 million zips on the jackets with japanese style logos that is now worn by every chav, everywhere.
good thing about it is it's run by Hild, who started Bench way back in 89/90 when it was a BMX brand..
he was always in invert and peddling his wares at BFA comps out of a duffel bag.   the boy done good!!

elevensies

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21 AM »
yeah, i remember that too, i then recall he got into snowboard around 96ish,

now every chav and market stall in the country wears it.

oh i funkin hate superdry.......i think there should be sacrificial burning of the shite.

lk_97

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36 AM »
What's wrong with 9" rise bars? I think pretty much everyone rides that height, maybe a bit smaller. Oh, I've noticed pretty much everyone hates eastern. And cult, they're overpriced and copy pretty much everyone else, a lot of their parts are generic and just with their logo on it. Not to say I don't like them, but I'd only buy their parts if they were reasonably priced.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:14 AM »
it always seems that when a item / clothing / brand is good and cool - then the more it sell the more every one gets a shot at having it, hence then it become over popular and then is junked by the cool kids for the next cool thang

underground / kooky till it starts to make money - then it becomes cool - then it become the latest cash cow - then rinsed dry and left for the flys  ::)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Cheers Glen, I never knew Eclat was to do with WTP  :daumenhoch:

fook me rob even i knew that  ;D ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43 AM »
it's the clothing brand with 8 million zips on the jackets with japanese style logos that is now worn by every chav, everywhere.
good thing about it is it's run by Hild, who started Bench way back in 89/90 when it was a BMX brand..
he was always in invert and peddling his wares at BFA comps out of a duffel bag.   the boy done good!!

When Hild sold Bench I was a bit gutted for him cos it went MASSIVE after that. I was much happier when I found out he was behind Super Dry.
I was looking for a woolly hat today and found an old Bench hat. Its rad. really massive!

elevensies

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05 PM »
stussy

one name and brand thats been around ''our'' scene for years and has never caught the chav tossers eyes

hopefully none of that football crowd will ever find it  :knuppel2: and ruin it.

unlike vans, DC, etnies, bench, fox, and all the other brands we supported until they got hold of it.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I've never heard of Stussy either  :-\   :-[

elevensies

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I've never heard of Stussy either  :-\   :-[

really?

think checked shirts mexicano style,

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Is Little Devil still going?
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19 PM »
lots of firms sell out to bigger clothing firms... a lot of the old surf and skateboard firms did so now that is why we see mass quantities of tat with old skool names and bad designs!! god average towny english people dress like tramps !!
i really hate dc/monster/ ken block plaster this shit everywhere shit phenomenon !!
stussy did sell out a bit. well i suppose they moved with the times. many of their designs are real vulgar now !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  bit of a stupid question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx