gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 08:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  newbie with a project
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: newbie with a project  (Read 4172 times)

pulsar_stu

newbie with a project
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Hi all,

I bought a 1981 marlboro zapper today, I bought it for my son. But when I collected it, I realised it needed a bit of tlc.
So I bought my son a modern bmx instead and bought the zapper for me to restore.

After 30 minutes with my tools here's where I'm at with it.

Took me right back to my youth :) I was always stripping a bmx and swapping parts over.

I'm now 39 tho lol

I'm going to strip the paint and respray it white again.

I've also decided to upgrade the crank, pedals, stem, handlebars, brake levers, brake calipers, wheels, seat and seat post.

Basicly everything lol

Looks like a good site here! Hopefully I can get some help as I go...

Thanks for looking.

I look forward to your comments...

Stu.

Rossi46

Re: newbie with a project
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Welcome bud. I'm also new here and i can only say, you are now on the road to financial ruin. You have been bitten by the oldschool bmx restoration bug. Once it gets it's claws into you it holds on pretty tight.

About 2 months ago i decided it might be an idea to restore an oldschool bmx that i would have loved to have owned in the 80's. I bought one and set about it immediately. Before it was finished i had already purchased my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and now 6th frame and i can't see it ending any time soon  :-\

Good luck with your build. You will enjoy it  :daumenhoch:

pulsar_stu

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Lol

Thanks for the reply :)

It has bitten me hard this bug lol
I spent 3 hours today stripping the frame :)

I have already started ordering new parts and paint. And I'm only on the second day of owning this bike lol

I can see me falling into the same situation as you, I have already been thinking of buying a mongoose next, then a burner.
Who knows where it will stop :)

Its far cheaper than the hobby I have just sold!
I was on my 5th nissan pulsar gtir, just got to the end of restoring one and decided I have had enough.

I have to admit tho, restoring a bmx is more fun! I was always tatting with a bmx back in the 80s

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Looking good so far, welcome aboard :daumenhoch:

pulsar_stu

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Thanks mate

Jaypeg

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Welcome to Rad mate....i would buy a site supporter tag for a start, there are some awesome deals on parts here and you will save yourself a few quid. Do your homework ref parts as its easy to jump right it and buy everything you see. Enjoy... :daumenhoch:

pulsar_stu

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Thanks mate.

How much is a site suporter ticket?

I know what you mean about jumping in and buying things on impulse lol
I've just bought some brake levers, the two fingerd ones, I remember them from when I was a kid, they arrived this morning and oh dear me lol I remember now I hated them! They stand up in the air off the handlebars lol you have to be double jointed to use them hahaha
In the cupboard they go. New old stock they were sold as, but I think they might be repro.

deeman

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:32 AM »
Welcome mate!for fook's sake don't buy a burner!have you got or have owned a Nissan Pulsar btw? :daumenhoch:

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27 PM »
I had one of those in chrome.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

deeman

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:11 AM »

A Burner or Pulsar?? :idiot2:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28 AM »

A Burner or Pulsar?? :idiot2:
:LolLolLolLol:

Nowt wrong with a burner  :daumenhoch:  Some classy ones out there and the Aero Ultra Burner is one of my faves along with the Pro Burner  :coolsmiley:

Just take your time dude, research the parts, as there is a lot of re-pop stuff about, companies on the band wagon etc....

Looks like a good starting build you got there though. Lots of advice on here from a lot of great guys in the know so you can't go wrong too much. Just don't be afraid to ask, even the dumbest questions (Devilock will tell you  :LolLolLolLol:  ), you will be surprised  :coolsmiley:

Just have fun and enjoy the build  :daumenhoch:  And get some pics up too as you along please.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:34 AM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

misterminibus

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21 AM »
welcome to the forum, looks like you will be having some good fun

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02 PM »
A marlboro team lol. Stem size can be a pita tho. Check yours before ordering. If I'm correct, mine was a 22.2, and when I bought my white freestyler and furnished it with the marlboro's parts, the stem wouldnt go down the forks. We checked it on a mates bike and  it wouldnt go down his either, so I ran the marlboro forks for a while. Bar the seat post being 25.4, its all stock parts. I ran mine with vectors and a coaster brake skyways. Nice riding frame, good for jumping.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:22 PM »
howdy !  :daumenhoch:

got any pics of your Pulsar GTiRs?

I had a Grey and a Black one a few years ago...., wife stopped that - but still got a few OS BMX's
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

deeman

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:28 AM »
howdy !  :daumenhoch:

got any pics of your Pulsar GTiRs?

I had a Grey and a Black one a few years ago...., wife stopped that - but still got a few OS BMX's

I had a grey one too,great cars-shite gearboxes! :daumenhoch:

dannyrobo2012

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48 PM »
hi and welcome to rad  ,i also had a grey pulsar,i loved it for all 8 days of owning it untill the clutch went and i could not afford to fix it  :(

deeman

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:24 PM »
hi and welcome to rad  ,i also had a grey pulsar,i loved it for all 8 days of owning it untill the clutch went and i could not afford to fix it  :(

Looks much the same as mine did bar the wheels!lovely!I put a paddle clutch in mine and wished i hadn't!It was dreadful,especially at first! :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  newbie with a project

gfxgfx
gfx gfx