gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975599 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 09:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Subrosa DTT - Design my Bike
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Subrosa DTT - Design my Bike  (Read 4997 times)

punkdSICO

Subrosa DTT - Design my Bike
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I was lucky enough to receive a lovely Christmas present off our Mr Wini (ignoring the 200 notes  ;) )

Unfortunately, I know bugger all about NS components.  Can people give me a few pointers for fairly standard build components?  I think my colour scheme is going to be the existing Red (its got a slight orange to it..) plus either mostly Chrome or mostly White.

I like the Profile cranks in Chrome and I recall that there is a variation on these that is pretty cheap?

Budget, as always, is tight..  I will be going for mostly used components where possible but, if needed, ill go new for the less expensive items.

It will be a rider but it needs to get me hard when I look at it..

I will be running a front+rear brake so the lack of stubs on the forks mean Im restricted a bit..

All suggestions are welcome..

Thanks,

Paul

gib66

Re: Subrosa DTT - Design my Bike
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50 PM »
we the people od bars in matt red mint if you like big bars otherwise chrome slams or xlts
thats a start oh and a xlt s&M stem

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Sweet as, where have you been hiding then

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Very cool frames Paul.  :smitten:
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Sweet as, where have you been hiding then
Been here for yonks but, until now, 100% OS..  This is my first NS build and know ZERO about NS (hence the OS looking twin top tube Subrosa!!)

;D

Paul

PS: Thanks gib66 for the pointers!!

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:49 AM »
ditch the forks for some oddy classic freestyle forks with lugs on if your gonna run a front brake  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54 AM »
ditch the forks for some oddy classic freestyle forks with lugs on if your gonna run a front brake  :daumenhoch:

Or you can get a bolt on 990 brake plate. A much cheaper way to go.
LiferBMX has them, but they dont list um, cos people dont often want them. Call them up.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Paul ... nothing new school and good is cheap! my rider cost over a grand  :'( :'( :'( :'(
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

mattuknc

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10 PM »
I think I have a new set of white 'salt plus' cranks which are Profilesque. I'll try and find a pic if you're interested.

Paul ... nothing new school and good is cheap! my rider cost over a grand  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I hear ya, I think I managed to keep mine under that, but not by much. shhh, don't tell the wife!  ;D

griff

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Paul ... nothing new school and good is cheap!

:(

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Yep, x2 here and my latest newschool build also came in close to that but the f&f cost me half that and I used some secondhand bitsto keep the costs down :-\
Still limping......

punkdSICO

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Yikes!!  Im hoping I wont spend that much but I can appreciate how it could happen.

I just paid for some super sexy Subrosa Bitchin chrome cranks so it looks like chrome is going to be the second main colour (not white).

The mentioned chrome slam bars look pretty nice to me (slightly old-school) and with a top loading stem, it could look hot!

Wheels - any pointers of sexy wheels that wont break the bank?  Probably chrome but maybe white or colour hub..??

thanks all,

Paul

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50 AM »
you got a good deal on those cranks  :)

Primo V Monsters are a nice tyres ... I've got some 1.85 Oddy Paths ( tan wall ) if you need them  :daumenhoch:

I've just started running grand Slam Xlts and they are nice.

Cheap wheels eh... you could try BMX City in Grantham ....

Not much choice on ebay at the mo but they usually have a few pairs up ... these are blue! but you get the idea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMX-WHEELS-20-Pair-9-tooth-micro-drive-5-colours-/160924183109?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item2577d42a45

Dylan Thomas

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Deffo go for black bars I reckon if you're sticking to black forks (tops and tails and all that).

And also deffo shop round for secondhand parts to build up the bike - you'll save a fortune. Only bits I wouldn't go secondhand on are sprocket, chain, peds (cos they're stupid cheap), brake cable, headset, rims.

You can pick up Oddy Lumberjack bars for around £15-20 on eBay or over at BMXForums, nice black S&M XLT/LT stems for £15, there's some really good cheap hubs out there as well that will do you - just look for sealed stuff (Eclat etc). Don't go too crazy on the rims either - again Eclat do some good one's for around the £40 mark that'll last you as long as a set of G-Plops (so long as you're not doing massive drops etc). If you build your own wheels you can save on that as well (secondhand hubs, new rims/spokes).

I reckon you should be able to build that up with a combi of good sceondhand and new parts for around the £200-300 mark.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57 AM »
as Ed says bmx city is the place for wheels , stretch the price though and go for the Counterfitt Pro set, round about £100,  full sealed hubs ,9t cromo driver sun big city lite rims , they had em in chrome too  :daumenhoch:  best ring em to check availability ,  using a set at the mo can't go wrong for the price  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41 PM »
I love those rims. I've been using them for a while. Just about to build a new set of wheels using them again.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Yep, me too. Got a set of chrome Sun big city lites laced to Profile Stealth hubs on my current BoTM entry if you want to see what they look like Paul. Ace s the answer though.....

Also got a set of chrome Sun black Box rims laced to some posh Profile hubs on my ramp rider. Proper yummy..... ;-)
Still limping......

griff

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Yikes!!  Im hoping I wont spend that much but I can appreciate how it could happen.

I just paid for some super sexy Subrosa Bitchin chrome cranks so it looks like chrome is going to be the second main colour (not white).

The mentioned chrome slam bars look pretty nice to me (slightly old-school) and with a top loading stem, it could look hot!

Wheels - any pointers of sexy wheels that wont break the bank?  Probably chrome but maybe white or colour hub..??

thanks all,

Paul

Hi Paul

What colour stem are you after?
Got a very nice one of these I might get rid of if I can find something nice in green instead

Since I got some massive bars don't really need the height any more and red doesn't really go with the other bits I have (suppose there's always oven pride though  >:D)

punkdSICO

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:44 AM »
as Ed says bmx city is the place for wheels , stretch the price though and go for the Counterfitt Pro set, round about £100,  full sealed hubs ,9t cromo driver sun big city lite rims , they had em in chrome too  :daumenhoch:
Hi - good tip!!  It looks like the Counterfitt Pro now use a "Black Sheep rim".  I think ill hold out for a few weeks to see what comes up second hand before giving them a call.  But they looks like nice wheels!!

thanks,

Paul

punkdSICO

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Yep, me too. Got a set of chrome Sun big city lites laced to Profile Stealth hubs on my current BoTM entry if you want to see what they look like Paul. Ace s the answer though.....

Also got a set of chrome Sun black Box rims laced to some posh Profile hubs on my ramp rider. Proper yummy..... ;-)
Yep, your BoTM looks great!!  I think Sun rims are defo top of my list but, boy is there a lot of choice out there!!  Why cant it be like back in the day when your choices was: Araya, Skyways, or Z Rims   :(

Thanks all,

Paul

punkdSICO

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Got a very nice one of these I might get rid of if I can find something nice in green instead
Hi Griff - not sure about stems yet as I tend to get them towards the end.  Currently Im thinking it will be chrome so ill pass on the red one.

thanks dude,  Paul

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Paul I have some Sun rhyno lite rims if you need them..

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:04 AM by ED209 »

Dylan Thomas

griff

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Hi Griff - not sure about stems yet as I tend to get them towards the end.  Currently Im thinking it will be chrome so ill pass on the red one.

thanks dude,  Paul

No worries
Tbh I had a look around and I couldn't see anything else I liked in green yet
Might just stick with clashing colours  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 11:04 AM »

thanks dude,  Paul

strip & polish Paul  :angel:

Dylan Thomas

matsoki

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Paul,
I've got a red oddesesy senior seat(used but ok), and some black oddesey Aron Ross grips (new).

I have oddesey freestyle forks, and brakes can't recomended them enough.

Drop me a pm on the bits if you need to.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Subrosa DTT - Design my Bike

gfxgfx
gfx gfx