gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 03:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  10 year old just starting
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10 year old just starting  (Read 1622 times)

Dready71

10 year old just starting
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Hey radders
My 10 yr old daughter has just started bmx racing sessions.
Looking for a race orientated bmx seen a nice haro for 370 on eBay
Just wondered if anyone may have a bike their child has grown out of.. Fairly decent please.
Know about old school bmx's but they have changed a lot since my 86 group 1 lol

Even suggestions of good bikes for a 10 yr old

Many thanks

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: 10 year old just starting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Yep they sure have changed since 86 :LolLolLolLol:

Afraid I also know nothing but last time I was at Aiders' houze he was talking about getting his daughter a new race bile so her old one might be up for grabs or hw will be able to offer a bit of advice if you pm him :daumenhoch:

Hope you get sorted - can't wait till my kids are old enough to get interested but a while to go just yet as my eldest is only 4!

Spen
Still limping......

proclass35

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Dready,
You need to be looking for a junior or expert size racebike, depending on your daughter's size- top tube lengths aren't an accurate way to size a bike, but if you aim for something in the 18 1/2"- 19 1/2" range you should be alright. (probably longer than your '86 Group 1!).

The usual brands offer decent completes- Redline, Kuwahara, Haro, Freeagent but it's probably best to have a look on the For sale section of BMXTalk where you might find something with a few upgrades or even a custom built race bike. The cheaper completes usually cut corners on stuff like bottom brackets, cranks and headsets so these will probably have been replaced on something that has been raced.

Gearing is a subject in itself, but for a 10yr old girl maybe aim for a roll-out of around 50ish, so 38/15 or similar. She should be on 1 1/8" tyres, 155-160mm cranks and handlebars not to high or you can't pull against them to get your power down- 5" rise or so.

Hope this helps!

Jamie

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Dready,
You need to be looking for a junior or expert size racebike, depending on your daughter's size- top tube lengths aren't an accurate way to size a bike, but if you aim for something in the 18 1/2"- 19 1/2" range you should be alright. (probably longer than your '86 Group 1!).

The usual brands offer decent completes- Redline, Kuwahara, Haro, Freeagent but it's probably best to have a look on the For sale section of BMXTalk where you might find something with a few upgrades or even a custom built race bike. The cheaper completes usually cut corners on stuff like bottom brackets, cranks and headsets so these will probably have been replaced on something that has been raced.

Gearing is a subject in itself, but for a 10yr old girl maybe aim for a roll-out of around 50ish, so 38/15 or similar. She should be on 1 1/8" tyres, 155-160mm cranks and handlebars not to high or you can't pull against them to get your power down- 5" rise or so.

Hope this helps!

Jamie

Spot on, my eldest lad is almost 10, riders a junior frame with a longish stem, 155 cranks and similar gearing. He has junior/expert bars but with the stem in the 'dropped' position so the rise isn't too high. A lot of taller 10 year olds are on expert frames. My lad is big on manualling and jumping so has been on 1 3/8 tyres for a couple of years for more cushioning and durability  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Most REAL bargains are to be had on BMXTalk, parents there change bikes regularly to have the latest models. All the brands listed are good but almost any proper racebike that I've seen are decent. Also keep an eye out for Intense, Supercross, DK, Meybo, Crupi, Staats, GHP etc etc, all make decent frames/bikes  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  10 year old just starting

gfxgfx
gfx gfx