gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 03:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Johnny chopper
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Johnny chopper  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
Johnny chopper
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:17 PM »
I'm considering buying an str-1 frame off the bay from him know it's a replica but has anyone had anything from him before n how good are his frames
Jono

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Johnny chopper
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:19 PM »
havent had frames but have dealt with gary a few times and he is a good lad  :daumenhoch:
have bars and cranks and the workmanship is top notch

Offline Blacky

• Rockwalk
  • 720 back tap to fakie in
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I had a tnt stem and some bars. Good bloke and some nice stuff
same old same old

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:16 AM »
Never bought any of his stuff, but almost have a few times. Seems like a nice guy to deal with, and his stuff is meant to be top quality.

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:13 AM »
I've spoken to Gary a few times through email, very helpful and willing to change parts slightly to suit your needs.
I will be ordering a stem from him soon as soon as I can fund it.
 I would have no problem dealing with him and his workmanship looks great :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:16 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Have met Gary a couple of times and have had some parts from him; great bloke and ultra reliable.  He will be doing the repair on my Patterson Pro Long soon  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59 AM »
He made the Bottema forks on my prototype Gen 1 anniversary frame and they were the single piece of oldschool BMX I didn't want to sell they were absolutely stunning :'(
Still limping......

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:00 PM »
First class  top stuff ...

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 03:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice boys you've all swayed it for me so just bought a prototype STR-1 frame set from him
Jono

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04 AM »
 "wantit"  :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15 PM »
I looked at that frame, but wondered to myself just how the hell you would build it?

You can either go the route of convincing yourself and the world that it is an original (as somebody has already done) and put vintage parts on it, but then that seems weird to put really old parts on a brand new frame.  Kind of like buying a brand new Ferrari, but putting wire wheels on it, replacing the modern interior with an old vinyl bench seat and making it start with a crank handle sticking out of the front grill.

Or go the route of putting reproduction/retro/modern parts on it, but then that would be a waste of an expensive frame.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:16 PM by stidds »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 01:28 PM »
I looked at that frame, but wondered to myself just how the hell you would build it?

You can either go the route of convincing yourself and the world that it is an original (as somebody has already done) and put vintage parts on it, but then that seems weird to put really old parts on a brand new frame.  Kind of like buying a brand new Ferrari, but putting wire wheels on it, replacing the modern interior with an old vinyl bench seat and making it start with a crank handle sticking out of the front grill.

Or go the route of putting reproduction/retro/modern parts on it, but then that would be a waste of an expensive frame.

I hear that, a dilemma for any purchaser but like those guys that buy The Eagle Roadster or the Singer 911 I guess it's all about the nostalgia look with modern equipment but in this case only Jono can answer that question!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 01:35 PM »
Era correct parts, either OG or repop. Yes its a replica, but i'm sure it'll look really cool when it's done. Looking forward to seeing it Jono.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:37 PM »
if money was no object then I'd have one,  there aint no way you gona get an original one so why not!
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Era correct parts, either OG or repop. Yes its a replica, but i'm sure it'll look really cool when it's done. Looking forward to seeing it Jono.

Era correct?  So modern parts as it is a brand new frame.

Or 70s parts?  Which isn't era correct.

It is a toughie.

Jono will no doubt do a sterling job on it, and it really is a nice piece of kit.

I was just thinking about how I would build it personally and I wouldn't know what to do with it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:56 PM by stidds »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 02:00 PM »
It was the same when the looptail Quadangle was retro'd 7 years ago now (damn is it 7 years already?).

You had to decide whether it was think of the bike as an oldschool and put oldschool parts on or treat it as a modern bike and put modern parts on it.

When I built mine back then I found parts that looked oldschool but in fact were new.. Not a single OS part on this bike...

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Seen a photo on Google of stu thomsen with his prototype so hoping to source similar parts n building a rep of it (well that's the plan) put it up on fb n got slated for it, I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but wanted a quad n this is the ultimate and as said earlier never gunna find one so we all make sacrifices on our builds ok I'm making the ultimate one but people buy new haro sports masters etc n no one says a thing n let's face it it's built to spec with right materials n probably better welds so I can live with it , thanks for the positive comments and also thanks to those who are reeling at the thought of it but say nothing  :LolLolLolLol:
Jono

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 05:49 PM »
It will be an interesting build Jono, good luck to you with it. 

What you should do to make it look the part is get it painted in the colour you decide and then beat it a few times with a chain or the like to chip the paint and make it look worn.   :LolLolLolLol:

That would look ace.

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Am I missing something has someone tried to pass one off as the real thing stidds
Jono

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Am I missing something has someone tried to pass one off as the real thing stidds

It was mentioned (not by me, but somebody on here recently) that somebody over in Australia has one but has said that it is an original and he has had it for years.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 06:07 PM »
What you should do to make it look the part is get it painted in the colour you decide and then beat it a few times with a chain or the like to chip the paint and make it look worn.   :LolLolLolLol:
Now, now Sean  ::)
BANNED

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Now, now Sean  ::)

No I actually wasn't joking or telling Jono to pass it off as something else.  I just honestly think that if you are going the whole Stu Thomsen STR-1 rep route then beat the paint up a bit rather than glossy and brand new.

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Ah right think u gotta be good to pull the wool over people's eyes on here I'm not a repop man personally, not that I have a problem with those that use em so it's not been an easy decision for me but I'm looking forward to building n riding this one cheers
Jono

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 06:10 PM »
If Gary made it , it will be as good or better than the original  :daumenhoch:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15 PM »

Era correct?  So modern parts as it is a brand new frame.

Or 70s parts?  Which isn't era correct.

It is a toughie.

Jono will no doubt do a sterling job on it, and it really is a nice piece of kit.

I was just thinking about how I would build it personally and I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Era correct as in appropriate for it's age (so no Shot Gun II, Pro Neck 2 or MX 901's). But also using repop parts where needed/wanted such as Profile Anniversary cranks - repop, but would be era correct for the build if you catch my drift...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Johnny chopper

gfxgfx
gfx gfx