gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 08:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The worst BMX part you bought or fitted?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The worst BMX part you bought or fitted?  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
The worst BMX part you bought or fitted?
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:27 PM »
The worst part I ever bought was a Lester Wheel from Halfords sometime in the early 80's.

I should say my mother got it for me as she knew that the rear wheel on my Burner was knackered; bent, flat-spotted and the hub had cried mercy long ago. That Lester wheel was my living hell. You could not do anything with the bike. You only had to look at it and it would puncture. It was so heavy you could do deadlift reps with it. The number of pinch punctures I got were legion. What is more, it cracked all over the place. Like the Motomag it copied a BMW motorcycle design and it was doomed; I worked in BMW motorcycles for many years, read 20 years, and that wheel was subject to a worldwide recall!

When the Lester wheel smashed I saved all my milk round money and ordered a Skyway from a big bike shop near Manchester (I do not remember the name but it would have been from a magazine advert from the early '80s). I waited weeks, I guess mail order was much slower back then, nothing arrived. We, my mother and I, complained. One day, returning from school, a yellow wheel was placed in the kitchen window! *cheers* I thought, it is here. They had sent a 'copy' Skyway, I think it had six spokes but whatever I knew it was wrong. Heartbroken.

The shop we bought it from were unhelpful, remember this is pre-internet. The only way we got resolution was to take a detour one Christmas on our way to York (from North Devon I might add) and insist on the Black Skyway I had saved so hard for. We left with said wheel.

I have waited over 30 years to relate that story! Rad I thank you!

Have you any similar experiences. Bad buys, mistakes, let downs?
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: The worst BMX part you bought or fitted?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Damn...that was bad luck on the Skyway! Poor old mum, I bet she thought she was helping!
I had a very nice spinner back in the day which I couldn't find so I used an ACS Rotor instead...what a pile of rubbish  ::)
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:29 PM »
The ones that come to mind are...

Dia-Compe tech2 lever, for that impossible placement and clumsy reach-around braking experience.

ACS Z-rims. Once the novelty of trying to flex them like the advert wore off (and getting punctures almost every time). I realised they weren't as light or as strong as Araya's and didn't stop as good either.
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Mushroom grips. You just don't get a good feel for the bike. Hated them BITD and still hate them now.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Mushroom grips. You just don't get a good feel for the bike. Hated them BITD and still hate them now.

ODI Mushroom's were probably my favourite grips bitd !!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:59 PM by steve69 »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51 PM »

ODI Mushroom's were or obably my favourite grips bitd !!
I only rode with ODI mushrooms. Great grips, but wore quickly. Best used with gloves to avoid 'stickiness'  ;D
BANNED

griff

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07 AM »
That seat   :-[

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:34 AM »
That seat   :-[

:LolLolLolLol:  ......... but the banter it caused and the ending was priceless Griff  ;) :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Those cheap copy uni seats that had an alloy post about as thick as a coke can, I didnt even get home from the bike shop before I had bent it.
If in doubt flat out.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 10:04 AM »

ACS Z-rims. Once the novelty of trying to flex them like the advert wore off (and getting punctures almost every time). I realised they weren't as light or as strong as Araya's and didn't stop as good either.

Never liked em then... don't like em now.  Thumbs down
Rather have a nice set of alloy rims anyday.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:07 AM »
worst I bought was Suntour Beartraps everyone was getting Shimmano Dx I thought id be different saved up pocket money all summer just to get them this was 1983 times were hard only within a day of fitting them to my Falcon Pro I had to remove one from my knee cap then few days later they got bent and mangled off a kerb was totally gutted got told to f@@k off by old guy in bike shop  "and that was his exact words" when I tried to return them .Also agree with Z rims had a set and everyone wanted ago at bending them  they Pi@@ed me right off 

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Wheel discs, they lasted about five minutes

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Tuffs. Always had spokes in the eighties - alloys and Zs. Always wanted tuffs as they looked the business but never got around to it. Bought some a few years back. Thought they were awful.
Gertcha!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Mushroom grips - blister city and wore out way too quickly
SR Stem - lacked grip on bars
Layback seatpost with a brace - made me need 4ft long arms
MKS Graphite pedals - slippery when wet
Kenda Comp 3 tyres -wore out after two rides

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Elina UL seat think it lasted a few weeks before it separated from the post,  it lasted longer than the uni turbo that replaced it though! Both absolute junk.

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:19 PM »
1st gen a' me duals last about a week ditto for Elina UL.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40 PM »
...I have Z rims on a GT Pro. Bought them because I never had them as a kid, remember the adverts and thought they were the dogs. Need some Zed love in this thread  :smitten:

hehe too heavy for race and too flexible for freestyle. Those adverts have a lot to answer for (they are still cool though :coolsmiley:)

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 07:24 PM »
...I have Z rims on a GT Pro. Bought them because I never had them as a kid, remember the adverts and thought they were the dogs. Need some Zed love in this thread  :smitten:

hehe too heavy for race and too flexible for freestyle. Those adverts have a lot to answer for (they are still cool though :coolsmiley:)

I agree they are shite to ride but they look the absolute bollox  :4_17_5:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 01:18 PM »
GEN 1 Haro Frame set, i had a PK in 82 when the Haro came out, Chris young who i rode with won the freestyle comp at Harrow and was given the Frameset by Bob, I ordered one the next monday (i worked in a bike shop) and was so disappointed with it once i had built it up, it was too short after the PK and i only rode it for a few weeks before going back to my PK and swapping the Haro for somthing with one of the local kids who thought all his christmas's had come at the same time. Chris never really got on with his one either and also went back to his PK and then to Skyway the next year.
It put me off Haro's for ever more and i've not owned one since.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 06:43 AM »
Just thought of another.

Shimano DX seat post. It was the first replacement seat post I bought. Grew out of it instantly due to it being stupidly short and never looked/sat right due to its limited micro adjustment  Thumbs down . The SR Laprade was far superior but doesn't get the recognition it deserves (tbf none of the SR stuff does)

Good knows why they fetch so much money now.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 08:14 AM »
Just thought of another.

Shimano DX seat post. It was the first replacement seat post I bought. Grew out of it instantly due to it being stupidly short and never looked/sat right due to its limited micro adjustment  Thumbs down . The SR Laprade was far superior but doesn't get the recognition

it deserves (tbf none of the SR stuff does)

Good knows why they fetch so much money now.

Got to agree Steve the SR stuff is often high quality and very over looked or underloved ... I love the SR parts on my Quad..

As for the worst parts ever ... The re-pop MX 1000s are shocking in everyway.. Cheap and useless
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40 AM »
You are going to like my forthcoming build thread, very heavy with SR parts including said Laprade.

What about those playing cards we used to attach to our forks with a clothes peg to sound like a two-stroke? Or was that just me!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The worst BMX part you bought or fitted?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx