gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 07:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)  (Read 25110 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
So as some of you have already read, I’m considering entering the brave new world of new school racing. I’m assuming that I can’t use any of my old school race bikes (an ’83 Laserlite and an ’84 Free Agent) and tbh, probably shouldn’t go down that route anyway. That leaves me thinking about something newer, and I’m guessing that means new school rather than mid-school from a geometry/weight point of view. However, this really isn’t my era, so I’ve no idea where to begin and am open to suggestions.

What I would say is that I’ve never been one to have the latest and greatest thing, and would much prefer to have a decent quality, used set-up rather than something new and shiny. Also, I don’t want to spend too much dosh in case I hate racing and want to give it all up after one meeting!!! Not forgetting that I also have to kit myself out with a helmet and some racewear.

Stats-wise, I’m 5’10” and about 65kg. More importantly I’m nearer 50 than 40!!!! The language barrier and high cost of things in Japan, bmx included, means that buying/shipping from the UK or US is not a problem. Back to bikes, I’m intrigued by the tt lengths being quoted for riders of my height/weight, namely 20” – 21”, which I think equates to a Pro XL size in new money. That sounds quite long to me, but having never ridden anything later than a 1984 frame, don’t know what new school geometry’s like to ride. I quite like the idea of having a brand that existed bitd, and see that Haro, SE, and Redline, as well as the afore-mentioned Kuwahara and Free Agent all have race bikes in their line-ups. However, as stated above, I’ve really no idea what’s what!

So Radsters, what say you?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:29 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 08:17 AM »
You're pretty spot on with the frame sizing in terms of looking for a Pro XL or depending on how it feels a Pro XXL might be an option. Which would be anywhere from a 21-22" top tube as some brand will differ on lengths.

I'm not sure how they are in Japan, but I know down here most people are willing to let you have a go on their bikes so you can figure out roughly what works for you, and the bonus seems that many people at the closest club have some of the new versions of the brands you are looking at.  :daumenhoch:
it should give you a good idea of how the new school bikes feel along with how nice it is to not put the knees into the bars haha.

Your best bet would either to try to find a second hand complete that's up to a few years old, or to buy one from a shop that's up to a few years old. Most newer completes are pretty solid for what they are, although in your case I would recommend staying away from Carbon frames or forks. Sure they can be good and light, but in your case the benefits aren't there and they can be more expensive then just an alu set up.

Seeing as you are impartial to the Kuwahara, maybe a polished Lachesis could be up your ally?
Otherwise just have a look and see what you find and catch your eye. I see you haven't added GT to that list though  :whistle:

as for race gear, When you start out you could possibly get away with a long sleeve top and pants (ie jeans) and would just need some gloves and a helmet. Plenty of brands out there at an entry level, try and find one that fits you best and feels comfortable.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply and ideas - much appreciated. :daumenhoch:

I'd forgotten about GT, and for that matter Hutch and Curtis! All we need now is for MRD to join the new school party!! Would love a Lachesis but don't imagine they pop up very often for reasonable money. Is it worth me joining BMX Talk or will I be laughed at over there?!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I've got a ns Ripper, not one of the retro ones, a fully ns racer xxl elite it rides ace. It's going up for sale very soon as I don't have the time anymore
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:18 AM »
I've got a ns Ripper, not one of the retro ones, a fully ns racer xxl elite it rides ace. It's going up for sale very soon as I don't have the time anymore

I suspect that it may be beyond my needs and/or budget, but am definitely interested to hear and see more! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17 PM »
In complete disregard of my previous comment about not wanting anything new and shiny, I've just seen the latest PK Ripper Super Elite!!! :smitten: Out of my price range but a nice piece of eye-candy nonetheless! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:57 AM by Mikku »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:40 PM »
You should be able to pick up a decent 3/4 yr old complete for around the 200/250 mark Mick. Don't know if you're on fb but there's a couple of new school pages where you should be able to pick something up. If not BMXTalk is definitely worth a look.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:01 AM by CustardLips »
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:42 AM »
Thanks mate! I'm not on FB but may give BMXTalk a whirl! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 09:12 AM »
Recently picked up some BMX Plus mags from 2014, and the ad below jumped out at me!!! Yet more inspiration, not that I need it! On that note, I'm planning to head to a BMX shop tomorrow afternoon to have a browse at a few completes, including the above SE! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:02 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Didn't get to ride them, but had a butcher's at the new PK Ripper Elite and Haro Race Lite Pro XLs yesterday & very nice they were too! :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:09 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 04:14 AM »
Have recently been very tempted by these 2 used bikes:-

1. a 2005 Specialized Hemi-Comp;
2. a 2014 Ripper Elite

Both good-looking, starter-friendly, budget-friendly bikes though they are pro-sized (with 20.5" top tubes) rather than Pro XL, so I reckon are on the smallish side for me. :(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:27 PM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 05:52 AM »
both look pretty decent to start out on.
I'm guessing (and going by the other places you're scouring for info) that you haven't been able to have a go on anything yet to roughly work out the sizing you prefer?

How did you find the Kuwi when you went and rode the track the other time? did it feel short and like you were over the front quite a lot? Just going to go out on limb here and say, that maybe coming from such a bike that you may enjoy the shorter lengths or feel comfortable on them.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 08:36 AM »
No, I haven't been able to ride anything yet, so am shooting in the dark somewhat, and am therefore grateful for any advice and ideas! :daumenhoch:

The Laserlite felt great on the track but then that's no real surprise as that era/style of bmx is all I really know! However, I'm genuinely interested to see how a longer, lower, lighter, new school frame rides, especially over the rhythm section!! There's a practice day at the track next weekend, so I'm going to go along and see if I can get a ride on something!!

Back to sizing and the 2 bikes I've seen, I'm not the tallest/heaviest/strongest of riders, so wonder whether a Pro-sized frame would be ok, at least to begin with. If that turned out not to be the case, then I guess I could always use a longer stem to give me more room. Decisions, decisions!! :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:19 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 11:45 PM »
Regardless of what I eventually end up with, I have to say that it's been interesting reading up on new school frame geometry, from head tube and seat tube angles to the "rider area". I wouldn't say I'm a convert, at least not yet, but I certainly have a greater appreciation of new school bikes now! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34 PM »
More eye-candy in the form of a Kuwahara Lachesis Pro XL:-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:29 PM by Mikku »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03 PM »
That looks fooking lush..
Deffo see you on the track wearing that bling.. explosion
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 10:59 PM »
After going backwards and forwards with various options, prices, sizes and whatnot, I've finally made a decision and pulled the trigger on a bike!!! I won't get my hands on it for a month or so, so will save the big reveal 'til then but I'm super stoked and itching to ride it!!! :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 09:29 PM »
Floval flyer??

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 02:04 AM »
Floval flyer??

Nice bikes those but I've always ridden a 20" bike so have stuck with what I know albeit in a Pro XL size! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 11:53 PM »
The eagle has landed! I won't get it up and running 'til the weekend, but below are a few teaser pics, with more details and pics to follow in my blog thread! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:36 PM by Mikku »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Me likely mate  :coolsmiley:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 11:23 PM »
Cheers Ady! :daumenhoch:  As you can see, I've gone for a bit of gold:-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:48 AM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 08:00 AM »
so parts....
that means it is a ground up build?

and if its a chrome/gold build should look sweet.
classical taste that will be clean.

Kinda funny, was at a national/continental event last weekend, was the only one on flat pedals, pretty much the only Cromo (Reynolds) frame. All set up in a classical way with Profiles (don't think there were many if any others) and a simple black colour way without any bling going on. Every other bike was full on with Hi Vis paints, parts and the style of them all was definitely to a "new school" taste.
Just have so much respect for those that give it the simple styling that is just clean and tidy.
Mind you, throwing out some one foot starts in practice left the starter and a few other officials dumbfounded, even more so when they were actually quicker then many of the others doing normal starts who aren't exactly slow haha.

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Cheers Ady! :daumenhoch:  As you can see, I've gone for a bit of gold:-

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for that Ady - it took me a couple of hours to get that bloody song out of mind after watching the vid!!! :nuts:

so parts....
that means it is a ground up build?

and if its a chrome/gold build should look sweet.
classical taste that will be clean.

Kinda funny, was at a national/continental event last weekend, was the only one on flat pedals, pretty much the only Cromo (Reynolds) frame. All set up in a classical way with Profiles (don't think there were many if any others) and a simple black colour way without any bling going on. Every other bike was full on with Hi Vis paints, parts and the style of them all was definitely to a "new school" taste.
Just have so much respect for those that give it the simple styling that is just clean and tidy.
Mind you, throwing out some one foot starts in practice left the starter and a few other officials dumbfounded, even more so when they were actually quicker then many of the others doing normal starts who aren't exactly slow haha.

I like your style!! How did you get on?

& yes, it's a ground-up build with a bit of chrome, gold and white! Took it out for a spin today, so will post some pics on the blog in a mo'  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx