gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 12:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Headset spacers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset spacers  (Read 3475 times)

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Headset spacers
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Evenin' all!

I am about to buy a headset...I understand that the steerer tube needs to be a couple of mm below the stem for it to all tighten up correctly, and that I may need some spacers for that to happen.

I see that some headsets come with spacers amd and some don't, and of course some headsets are taller than others.

Should I try and work out the headset height I need first?
Or buy a headset first, and then spacers later if I need them?
Or buy a headset that comes with a bunch of spacers?

Waddaya think folks?

Cheers!

Offline phildaw

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Headset spacers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:35 PM »
I would have a measure up and then order... as some headsets have those neat integrated 15mm headset spacers with them, so if you know you need one you can order one that works...

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:36 PM »
the stem dosen't have to be at the top of the steerer tube unless you need it there to get the bars to a comfortable height ,

tbh it's better lower down , so the steerer tube sits above the stem a little as the stem will clamp more securely and this will stop the top of the stem deforming , use a single or multiple spacers on top to get the compression ,   some people don't like the way this looks,    some stems also have a recess for the compression cap to  sit flush with the top of the stem so you may need spacers that fit the recess , you only need about 1mm to get the compression right so if your running the stem at the top of the steerer try to keep the gap to the top of the steerer tube round about that  , 

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Rich, buy one and if you need any more washers just ask mate, got a few in my spares box you can have FoC and no doubt other roadsters on here do too mate :coolsmiley:

If you’re not in a rush get on good old chinese eBay and you can pick up one of those sealed Neco ones for about £6 delivered - will take about a week to land but work fine mate :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:03 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Thanks phildaw oldtired & spen69!!

Oh man I can't wait to get my ride rolling!!  explosion

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Headset spacers

gfxgfx
gfx gfx