gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!  (Read 34463 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: 2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Instead of preparing for a new job that starts on Monday, I made the trek back down to Osaka yesterday for my first practice session at Oizumi Park. It’s a bloody challenging track with not much respite between the jumps - a bit like a roller-coaster (or jet-coaster as the Japanese say)! In any case I liked it! There’s definitely a few spots that I haven’t figured out well yet but I’m glad that I made the effort ahead of next Sunday’s race. Also got a few good pics of me in action for a change. The bike also felt good with the new front end set-up - carbon forks/mtb stem - so I’m going to see how it performs in the race. Am looking forward to it - just wish the bloody place was closer!! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 11:56 PM »
No race results to report as last Sunday's meeting was annoyingly rained off! :tickedoff: That means the next race in the Osaka series that I've signed up for is at the Kishiwada track next month. With that and a sunny weekend forecast in mind, I plan to head back down to Osaka on Saturday to have a practice session there. Am looking forward to it, though that big ol' start hill is going to take some getting used to! ::)

In other news, the schedule for the Niigata track has been published. They're running a 7-race series, with basically one race a month starting at the end of April. There are a couple of schedule clashes with Osaka and I've already plans for the opening race day, but intend to make at least a few of their races. I therefore need to head up there at some point to check out the track. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Made it back down to Osaka today as planned. Nearly didn't go but I'm glad I did because man, Kishiwada is a difficult track and I need as much time on it as possible! I have tbh here and say that I simply don't have the technique to tackle some of the jumps. That's not to say that I didn't give it a good go but it's a hair-raising ride!!! :D

The main difference between Kishiwada and the other tracks I've ridden is that many of the jumps have lips on them so you can't roll/pump them. Instead they chuck you up, which is great for jumpers but not for 49 year old novices!! Or at least this one!! Coupled with the biggest start hill in Japan, it makes for an "entertaining" track which explains why it has been the venue for UCI-sanctioned events. I spoke to one of the guys who works there and he said that not many of the older guys (ie, my age) race there because it's too difficult, which made me feel better. There's a race there on 15th May, so I want to have another practice session there before I think about entering. ;)

Some start hill pics below! What the pics don't show is me not pedalling! ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:15 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 01:46 PM »
More pics! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 01:54 PM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I really couldn't get to grips with this triple at the end of the first straight. Ignoring the fact that you physically can't see the 3rd jump until you're on top of the 2nd, I couldn't take the 1st jump at full speed because I couldn't keep the front wheel down. In other words, I would end up taking off and landing on the run up to the 2nd. It was a bit like a bucking bronco!! "nono"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:57 PM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Looks different and a lot bigger that what you've ridden over there so far.
Guessing they have a lot of smaller and more friendly tracks?

Just came across something from a Japanese rider and saw the same step up jump you had put a picture up of. Except hitting it backwards
Which then lead to understanding that you do a left hand corner, then 2 rights with that tunnel going back under to the start, which is pretty awesome.
The rider in question was Yuichu Masuda, i've seen him come down here a few times to race so you might see him out on his Formula.

Would be interesting to give it a go that's for sure.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 01:57 PM »
There aren't many tracks in Japan (which explains why I'm now having to drive 3 and a half hours to my nearest one!!) but Kishiwada is definitely on the gnarlier end of the scale. Here are a couple of vids I've found. The first shows an insanely talented kid who jumps the double part of the triple. The majority of the better riders seem to do this:-

/>
As cool as it looks, I'm not up to that. "nono" However, this next vid (taken after the track was first built) gives me the answer I've been looking for. At 0:56 the rider manuals over the first part of the triple, which I reckon I might be able to do after some more practice. Maybe! :D

/>
On Saturday morning there was a beginner's clinic with another Pro Elite rider, Taichi Ikegami, who was on the Kuwahara factory team last year but is also now with Formula. I missed the clinic but afterwards we got talking and I jokingly suggested that I'd help him with his English if he helped me with my BMXing! Here's hoping!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:08 PM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Yeah he did a bit of a pick up manual, if done right you use the front side to gain speed and then depending on the downside get extra momentum from pushing down the backside. A very good skill to be able to implement.
Its one of those things I guess the more you ride (even on the street) the more you begin to play around and look for different lines or ways to toy around.

Its pretty amazing, that for you, the nearest is 3.5hrs or so to get there, makes you more determined when you are there.
The people down here that whinge when its more than 45 minutes is mind boggling. For some they can have 4 tracks within 20 minutes of home for them.
In my case my nearest is a 4 minute drive with traffic (10 minute ride), and within about an hour is about 12 other tracks.

That track does look like fun though and should certainly test and build your skills.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 04:57 AM »
Ah, a pick-up manual! I knew there had to be a fancier name than wheelie-ing over the jump! ;)

As for track choice, it’s definitely a case of if the mountain won’t come to Mohammed! Plus I was quite lucky before with only a 30-minute drive to Midoriyama, so can’t complain too much. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I'm usually pissed off when a race is cancelled but the postponement of tomorrow's season opener in Niigata means that I may be able to make it to the rescheduled race next Sunday! What's more, there's a week's worth of national holidays next week (called "Golden Week"), so I'm off work and should be able to drive up there to check out the track in advance. :daumenhoch:

This is all subject to the vagaries of the weather at this time of year! ::)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 03:34 PM »
So today I checked out my 3rd new track in a month - Kanayasan up in Niigata prefecture. It’s in a lovely setting, nestled in the foothills of a mountain range but don’t let the good views fool you as man, it’s a bloody long track - definitely the longest I’ve ridden on so far. Being blessed with the stamina of an asthmatic hedgehog, I was flippin’ knackered well before the final straight, which actually isn’t straight, as it curves round to the finish line just to keep you on your toes. Pics attached below.

Despite its length, I like Kanayasan. After the hair-raising ride at Kishiwada (and for that matter, Oizumi), it was good to be able to tackle jumps at full speed again without fear of killing myself. The proof will be in the pudding though, as I plan to make the 8-hour round trip again on Sunday for the postponed race from last weekend. Race report to follow!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 03:37 PM »
A few more "action" shots! ::)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Rads on Flying Kamakazi!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 01:44 AM »
I like it, except I pose more of a threat to myself than anyone else!! ;D

Have just arrived at a very sunny and not very busy Kanayasan! I fear that my class will be combined with other classes and therefore younger and faster riders!! "nono"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 12:18 AM »
So I was back up in Niigata yesterday for my Kanayasan race debut. Despite the lovely weather, the postponement from last weekend meant that numbers were down and I was the only entrant in the over 30 class! In fact, several classes were combined so I ended up in the over 15s class with expert and elite riders!! The result was inevitable even when they decided to “no pedal” the 2nd moto to give me a chance!! You can check out the difference in skill level in the photos below, taken from the main which I obviously didn’t qualify for! ::)

Despite the result, I really enjoyed the day. Both the track and the venue are great and everyone was very friendly but I have to say that unless there’s a better turnout in my class, it’s not worth the 8-hour/550km/£100 round trip. Whilst I could always do with more track time (I spent an extra hour practising after the racing had finished), what I really want to improve is my racecraft. In the last few races at Midoriyama I’d been mixing it with other riders and that puts a whole different perspective on riding, as well as being more exciting than racing yourself at the back of the pack. Another older guy did turn up in the afternoon for some practice (on a sweet-looking, new school, baby blue PK Ripper) and the people I spoke to said that there were other riders in my class, so I’ll give it another chance at the next race (scheduled for May 26th) then see where we are. :daumenhoch:

On the bike front, I really enjoying the feel of the shorter/lighter front end set-up with one unexpected exception. During the pre-race, gate practice session I couldn’t hold my balance for more than a few seconds! I know it’s been a few months since my last race but I had been getting more and more confident with my starts, so was really surprised by the sudden change. Thinking about it afterwards, not only is the Funn stem 8mm shorter than the Promax, it’s also lower, so the combination of the two has definitely had an affect on my balance point. I’m therefore going to have to work on that at home before my next race this coming weekend back at Kishiwada. The plan is to head down there on Saturday to get in some extra practice on that difficult triple jump, not to mention that flippin' gert start hill, then stay with friends overnight and go to the race on Sunday. :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:27 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Am now back in Osaka! Had a couple of hours at the Kishiwada track this afternoon and my first impressions haven’t changed - it’s bloody difficult!! I tried and failed to execute a pick-up manual over that first straight triple, twice nearly wiping out for my efforts. As an alternative,  I’m going to try backing off or maybe even dabbing the brake just before the first jump, with a view to scrubbing off a bit of speed and smoothing out the transition. That’s the plan anyway, though whether I actually have the presence of mind to that when racing remains to be seen! ::)

More tomorrow! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:07 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Just got back from a bloody knackering weekend in Osaka. Full race report to follow but hot off the press are some race pics! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45 PM »
So a week after my Niigata race debut, I lost my Osaka cherry on Sunday. As expected, it was a roller coaster ride  - thrilling but scary! & that’s just the start hill!!! :D

There were 4 riders in the over-30 class but the 2-man cruiser class was amalgamated with ours making a total of 6 on the gate. Talking of gates, I had none of the balancing problems I had up in Niigata, which leads me to think that the Niigata start hill is not as steep as others I’ve ridden on. In any case it was a bit of a relief to be able to focus on the start cadence instead of worrying about putting a foot down. However, I still didn’t have the courage to pedal all the way down that hill!! :-[

So how was the racing? Well not too bad. The cruiser guys were literally a class apart but the rest of us were not too far apart from each other. I couldn’t quite keep up with the 3rd-placed guy but managed to keep the other two behind me. That’s how we finished in the motos and main. I therefore finished 4th overall, which would have been a podium without the cruisers. No worries though as I was  relieved just to be mixing it with other riders again after my lonely outing in Niigata. Plus I didn’t crash, which is always a bonus, especially with a 3 and a half drive home! That said, I nearly came a cropper on that flippin’ triple jump, which I still can’t get the hang of. I tried backing off in one of the motos but it feels so unnatural to do that, so I’m going to have to rethink that strategy. Hopefully I can make it back to Kishiwada for a decent practice session some time as that’s definitely a weak point for me, and I do plan to race there again later in the year.

However, after 2 race weekends in a row, I deserve a bit of break, as do my aching limbs, so will just do a bit of light riding/training and bike maintenance over the coming fortnight before my next scheduled outing back in Niigata on Sunday 26th. Looking forward to it! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:08 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 11:06 PM »
My body wouldn’t agree but I feel like a kid again!! More specifically, I’m really enjoying both my BMXing and racing at the moment. I think it’s a combination of learning new tracks and meeting new people but also racing on two consecutive weekends has really made me want to keep riding and racing, so much so that I've been getting up at 5.30 this week to take the Crupi for an early morning spin around the rice paddies. Love it! :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53 AM »
 :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Am due back out on track this weekend up in Niigata. Am hoping for a better turn out than last time though the combination of record-high temperatures (33 degrees is forecast for Sunday) and this weekend being a busy one for school sports days means that I'm not expecting a full car park! I'm still going to make the effort though because I like the track and tbh, just want to ride! :daumenhoch:

Race report to follow next week but in the meantime, here's another pic from this morning's early morning ride:-

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Have given the Crupi a spanner check, bought provisions and packed the car in readiness's for tomorrow's 4.30am departure! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Had a fun time at Kanayasan on Sunday. Will upload a report and some pics in the week but in the meantime and to keep things chronological, below are some pics from the first race meet where I was up against two elite and expert riders. The 1st pic shows the obvious difference in gate technique and the 4th and 5th pics were from when they decided to no-pedal!! :-[
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:21 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2019, 01:18 PM »
So I had my second race meet at Kanayasan on Sunday. As with my previous visit there was a poor turnout (worryingly more so than last time) and only one over 30s class rider (me!), so various classes were combined. I ended up in the over 13s class which had 7 riders including 3 elite riders (one of whom is the Japanese no.2), an expert rider and two 14 year olds! Needless to say my main competition were the 14 year olds and although the little fookers got the better of me, it wasn’t through lack of trying! I consistently beat both of them out of the gate which meant that in the 3rd moto when the 4 faster guys decided to no-pedal, I was leading the race…..until the first jump! ;D

I had some good battles though and remembering the advice given in previous posts, rode more aggressively than normal to try to keep the whippersnappers behind me. That included moving across out of the gate and cutting across the bows of one guy in the first berm. It was good fun, even though I ran out of steam and was overtaken by the third straight. Despite the result, it was good to be battling on track again. :daumenhoch:

The next race is on June 23rd, with both Niigata and Oizumi holding races that day. Although it’ll be rainy season then, I’m hoping that the distance between the two tracks (500 kms) will mean that at least one of the meetings will escape the rain and go ahead. Ideally I’d like to have a crack at Oizumi but will otherwise head back up to Niigata to get my fix, even if that means racing (and losing) against 14 year olds! :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:21 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 12:36 PM »
We've had some good weather recently, so most mornings I've been getting up early for some training. I've worked out a 5km route which includes lots of short sprints. Nothing too strenuous but enough to get the ol' heart pumping! :daumenhoch:

& following my recent start hill wobbles, I've also rigged up a start gate, or rather a balance gate, round the side of our garage. :slayer:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx