gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 12:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Project Q - Prototype Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Project Q - Prototype Build  (Read 31497 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Project Q - Prototype Build
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57 AM »
A bit more progress. Was hoping to get the front end sorted out this weekend but have run into some fork problems. Star nuts! ::)

More about that later. In the meantime, I shelved my plans to buy a new brake cable after I found a spare inner cable in my spares box, possibly a Jagwire but I can't remember now. I therefore went to a local mtb/road bike shop and bought a strip of Shimano outer cable in "high tech grey" - sorted! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:10 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 01:06 AM »

A crackin read that. Can't wait to see it put together.

Del's work is the best - them rub on's look the mutt's nuts  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Thanks man! I'm getting there, though encountered a few fork and headset problems over the weekend. The first was the compression bolt, which I soon realised was the wrong one! You can see from the pics that the threads inside the steerer tube start below the actual length of the bolt! :idiot2: Thankfully the FSA headset came with a star nut, so I could use that and the FSA cap instead. :daumenhoch:

The other headache was the integrated headset bearings, both of which wouldn’t fit into the headtube cups, which was not a big surprise as the bottom cup has a little ding on it and of course, this is a prototype rather than production frame, so I wasn’t expecting it to be perfect. I therefore “massaged” the bearings in with a rubber mallet and piece of cardboard, though am still not sure about the bottom bearing. If you look at the photos, the fork crown race can still be seen. Am not sure if these forks came with a built in race or one was added, but I decided to leave that rather than try to fit the FSA one that came with the headset. Not sure if this was a good idea or not, judging from the pics. What do you think? Maybe this is the excuse I've been looking for to buy one of those Lizard Skins covers! ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:45 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25 AM »
One of these...

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 12:16 AM »
 :) Do you have the correct headset or know what size bearings the frame takes? Most are 45/45 ACB but some are 36/45 ACB.The 36 degree bearings are 0.5mm wider than the 45 degree bearings which may explain the tight fit.Your crown race also looks a bit off-is the one supplied with the headset?
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply. :daumenhoch:

The frame takes campy 45/45 headsets and I'm fairly sure that's what the FSA is. I should have checked before installing the bearings and they're now "massaged" into the cups, so I'm reluctant to massage them out!! ::)

The crown race is the one that was on the forks already, so I left that one instead of removing it and fitting the shiny new FSA one, pictured below. Have also got another pic of the fork race, which does indeed look a little off, though it could be the camera lighting. I'm hoping that it all snugs up when I tighten up all the bolts, which I've yet to do.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 11:33 PM »
Aside from headset/fork and other problems (fooked-up rear axle threads, wrong-sized cones, lack of a Profile crank installation tool), I did manage to take some mock-up pics. Think it's going to look good as and when finally done! :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 06:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply. :daumenhoch:

The frame takes campy 45/45 headsets and I'm fairly sure that's what the FSA is. I should have checked before installing the bearings and they're now "massaged" into the cups, so I'm reluctant to massage them out!! ::)

The crown race is the one that was on the forks already, so I left that one instead of removing it and fitting the shiny new FSA one, pictured below. Have also got another pic of the fork race, which does indeed look a little off, though it could be the camera lighting. I'm hoping that it all snugs up when I tighten up all the bolts, which I've yet to do.

Is it my eyes or does that installed crown race have a slight radius on it ?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Not sure mate! I didn't notice it when I took the pic and the lighting is crap, so it's difficult to see! I know I should check it again but I don't want to lose the momentum I've now got going with this, so am going to keep going with the build and if it runs ok when it's done then I'll leave it be. Otherwise I'll whip off the forks and switch out the races. :daumenhoch:

Popped out to a hardware store today to pick up some M10 washers to get round the rear axle issues, which meant I could finally get the wheels on, as pictured below. Next up are the cranks, which I'm going to have to ask for help with, since I don't have the right tools for either the Profile BB or cranks! ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:57 AM by Mikku »

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Excellent thread and love the 'raw' look of this  fistblump. Always running into these small problems myself when i build, things not quite fitting etc, half the fun i guess!  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Looking good mate.... how about a nice set of new school tan walls on her ? :coolsmiley:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2020, 01:12 PM »
A pair of Odyssey Path tyres will look ace on that.. 20x2.1 & 20x1.85... similar tread to an old snake belly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:57 AM by HUTCHMAN »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys! I picked up a box of spare race parts last year which, as well as the Eclat seat/post combo, included a pile of tyres including my favourite race tyre, the Maxxis DTH. Although they're 20 x 1.5s rather than the 1.75s I run on my Crupi, these rims have a fairly narrow width, so take a 1.5 no probs. I have 2 used ones and a new one to play with, but at the moment have put a used one on the back and left the larger 1.75 Maxxis Holy Roller on the front, giving it a fat/skinny vibe! Plus the yellow Maxxis label matches the yellow Eclat script on the seat. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:22 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 02:38 AM »
Have been distracted by other stuff but finally did some spannering on Project Q yesterday. Got the Profile BB on and test-fitted the spider/chainring but that was about as far as I got, because I couldn't get the bloody cranks arms on the spindle! ::) I need to be more brutal with it, so that's the plan today! In the meantime, here are a few progress pics, the last of which gives an idea of what it's going to look like as and when done! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Didn't get much further yesterday, despite resorting to high tech means! Got the driveside arm on about halfway following a few thwacks with the hammer and wood shown in the pics but that was about it, so the plan is to install the spindle bolt and tighten the arm on that way. The problem with that idea is that the standard bolts have been replaced with titanium versions which look great (as pictured) but need a 7/32" allen key. Which I haven't got! ::)

Time to practice my social distancing at today's trip to the home centre! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:56 AM by Mikku »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04 AM »
Starting to come together  :)

That chainring looks cool  ;)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 12:53 AM »
Thanks man! fistblump

Went to a couple of home centres (face mask firmly in place) in search of a 7/32" allen key but could only find single ones in metric sizes, so was forced to buy an imperial set! Now tooled up and ready for action, I had another crack at the Profiles. I was reluctant to tighten the ti bolt too much for fear of breaking it (they're supposedly not to be overtightened), so before I broke anything, I tried one more time with the hammer but this time using blocks of wood at both ends of the spindle. Thankfully this did the trick and the driveside arm FINALLY went on. Brute force (and email advice from Dave - thanks mate) wins the day!! The non-driveside arm was much easier, going on with a dozen or so hits with the rubber mallet. Pics below! :daumenhoch:

Apart from now needing to buy yet another tool to tighten-up the BB cups, I'm almost there. I need to install the brakes, apply Del's decals then sort out all the shake-down ride stuff but that's about it. Hopefully! At this rate I'll get it done for April's BOTM! Maybe! :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:56 AM by Mikku »

Offline vestanpance

• Curb Endo
  • Bollocks.
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 04:21 PM »
That is looking sweet. :daumenhoch:

I've seen those Profile BBs advertised but never seen one fitted on a CR-MO frame with Profile cranks, very interesting. :)
I said 'machine, why are we here?'
And it paused and said 'to play video games and drink beer'

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36 PM »
That is looking sweet. :daumenhoch:

I've seen those Profile BBs advertised but never seen one fitted on a CR-MO frame with Profile cranks, very interesting. :)

I've gt the same bb fitted to my Kappa Brutus frame.... nice bb's

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 10:49 PM »
It seems ok so far, though I've yet to ride the bike in anger. Actually bought it by chance rather than choice, picking it up in a deal with some other parts that I wanted/needed for this build, namely the brakes and chain adjusters/dropout protectors. Talking of dropouts, I have always thought these ones look like some sort of dinosaur's head, so for a bit of fun, did a bit of searching around online and came up with the pics below. Perhaps I should rename this thread Project Q-saurus and ask Del to knock me up some more decals! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:52 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Shimano Deore caliper and Promax pads all ready to go on!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 04:18 PM »
Dinosaur dropouts  ;D
Cool  8)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2020, 03:53 AM »
So I got the brakes on, after various fiddling around with pad washers. Before I cut the cable and make everything look neat and tidy, I'm not sure about the cable length. From the rider's view it looks a little long (sticking out the front of the bike too much for my liking) but I could live with that. However, when I look at it from the side, the cable bow (for want of a better word to describe the curvature of the cable around the headtube) looks too big and too low. What say you Radsters? Leave as is or take it all apart and cut a couple of inches off the bugger? ::)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Looks great Mick  :coolsmiley:

Cut the cable unless you're planning to do bar-spins on it  :shocked:
Still limping......

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36 AM »
I'd say trim it down sir imho, coming together nicely though  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Project Q - Prototype Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx