gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 08:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1980 Tange Hot Heart build.  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
« on: November 13, 2019, 07:17 PM »
It has been tricky on the BMX front of late; house move and new job (sort of) have rather got in the way. The move is complete now and I should be able to crack on. I do my own anodising but that is on hold while a new building is being erected at work in which I can set up my station; that should not hold things up too much as I did rush a few jobs before I had to pack it all up and move. Anyway, here is my latest build, a 1980 Tange Hot Heart. I did hesitate to post this build as it did feature quite recently in another guise but I like to contribute to the forum so here it is anyway.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I have this JBM fold out catalogue from January 1982 and it never fails to inspire me.

The Bobby Encinas Hot Heart has formed the basis of an earlier build I did with the Shimano Z2 twin speed system. This time I am more interested in the decals, not the Bobby Encinas No. 1 set but the Hot Heart decals on the down tube.

I love them to bits and had to get them reproduced. I found other shots of the seat post tube and head tube decals and sent everything I had found out to Decals; he never disappoints.
In the meantime I got the fold out catalogue digitised, not least to avoid wearing out the original! It was then that I spotted some black smudges under the 'Tange (heart motif) Hot Heart text. I zoomed in and, ahhhh!, more detail revealed. Under the main text it reads, in black, 'Competition Racing   Frame & Fork'. I'd missed it, that said it would have been invisible on my black frame anyway. I does mean though that I will have to find another frame to wear the corrected decals  ;D

I added a Tange Number 1 decal (the green tubing decal) as this is what is shown on the Bobby Encinas bike.

I am nick-naming the bike 'Liquorice Allsort' as the primary colours and dominant black frame remind of them. I am super pleased with how it is coming on, it should be a beauty!
More to come soon, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:19 PM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

monkian

1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Great idea Peter. Should be a fun build. So was this my old frame-set I sold to Matt?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:04 PM by monkian »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: 1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Yes Paul the frame is one and the same, it is why I have hesitated to post about it here given it featured so recently.
If you remember I asked about the frame once I saw that you were selling parts from your build.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Lovely period advert for a lovely headset:

I have a few cracking headsets and this bike is getting one of them, a Tange MX3, or at least a lookie-likie, perhaps YST? Whatever the manufacturer I really like these colour banded cups; a simple way to add accents and detail.

...another lovely ad...

I picked the forks up at MK a couple of years ago, new old stock and minty. I was particularly looking for TX500's so I was made up. They did not break the bank either.

I had hoped to top it off with a black Tange head lock but I seem to have neglected to find one. I do have a couple of these Tioga Taskforce locks so one will have to do for now. I am going to search for a black Tange item as I think it will look better and be more consistent with the theme. Boyd has a load of the locknuts but no black, typical. I may have to re-anodise one if my search proves fruitless.

It is coming on nicely and I hope to make more progress this weekend.
Thanks for looking.

Offline Hedsta

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Thats gonna look tops when its done bro...

Sourcing some of those parts might be a challenge but isnt that the whole point?

Gonna keep my eye on this

Congrats on the new house as well mate - hope yr settled in okay.

I f*cking hate moving, lol  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Before Haro there was Torker. Don't let anyone tell you different..

monkian

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 07:38 PM »
All good Peter. It’s nice to see it still getting some love

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Looking forward to this one Peter! :daumenhoch:

Sourcing some of those parts might be a challenge but isnt that the whole point?

Aka the thrill of the chase!! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Nice! I've never seen a Hot Heart with a gusset like this, only seen the ones with the HEART in it, cool. Looking forward to seeing this.  :coolsmiley:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 04:53 PM »
I got these Shimano DX cranks some time ago and they came to me re-anodised in a shade of blue. As I need them to be black it was time to set about the laborious task of stripping, polishing and anodising them; I have detailled this elsewhere on this site and beyond. The anodising came out crackerjack, not perfect but I am improving every time.

Pretty good looking bottom bracket!

There are a lot of parts to a Shimano DX crank set-up but it all comes together so well and it is so integrated. I think the black makes it all look almost monolithic.

Moving forward nicely now, although things may slow down as I am planning on anodising a set of rims for this bike if I fail to find anything suitable in the meantime.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 05:01 PM »
...this is a Nitto MX-2 stem, a repop. I did not get lucky tracking down an og stem so thought I would give these a go. Bought from Boydsbikes at MK a couple of years ago, I think they are great. I know some frown on repop but if you are going to fit repop at least make it decent repop; and this stem is way better than just decent!

Back in the day this stem was also homogenised into the Shimano DX family with a simple change to the sticker, Delcals sorted that little problem out for me.

The seat post clamp is Tange, a bit beat up but very nice none-the-less. I did look at a gold one but it did not work to my eyes.

More to come...

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Great build .
And loving your YouTube channel too with a big thumbs up from me.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Thank you! explosion

monkian

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Nice work on the cranks Peter. They’re a bit special

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Really like this build  :4_17_5:  great work Peter  :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Progress has been made.
I have no idea as to the date of these Strong seatposts, but I think they are cracking. All I need to do is give one of them a light sand, etch prime and rattle can black, not forgetting to get Delcals to reproduce the decal for me of course.

The DX pedals I have had for a few years and I started the restoration a long time ago. It took quite a bit of work to get them to the standard you see here. It is always a balance when restoring parts as you inevitably sacrifice material. I do not restore parts for the sake of it and I never take it lightly. If I was lucky enough to have a complete survivor then I would not touch a thing on it, but I have never had such luck. I also question the rationale behind 'building a survivor', it make little sense to me but each to there own, there is room for everyone. There is a Facebook group concerned with 'BMX Parts Restoration', it should be called '...what can I over polish today and obliterate all authenticity', I struggle to find room for them :knuppel2:!

Although it is just a rattle can job I am pleased. Maybe I could have used a high build primer but I am never looking to to make the parts look new or perfect; that is not my thing at all. The finish would definately have been better if the workshop was not a few degrees above freezing!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:01 PM by Avro »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 05:27 PM »
You are putting a lot of time and effort into that build. Its starting to look Rad  :daumenhoch:

Looking at that info leaflet at the top of the thread, just shows how high end these bike were.  :)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 05:32 PM »
...I previously fitted a Tioga Taskforce head lock, a chrome one, but I really wanted a black Tange LP440 but failed to find one at a reasonable price. I have not been able to set up my anodising station yet so a compromise was needed. I had this Akibo lock nut on watch for a short while thinking it would do just fine. A fellow radster did message me about it suggesting it would work well so I was encouraged. I knew Monkian (member on here also) is building an Akibo so I checked to see if he was interested in it before I pulled the trigger. I prefer it to the Tioga so all is good.

I may have been a bit hasty fitting these minty Tioga V bars. They might be better placed on another build I have waiting. I do have a couple of other options, a set of Laserbars and a set of bars that are identical to Laserbars, and I mean identical, except that the crossbar is 7/8 (20mm) and not 15/16 (24mm). They were sold to me as being kuwahara Nova.
Anyway, they are fitted for the moment. They are nicely stamped Tioga and 'Alps Japan', the maker.

Looking good now!

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Once again loving this.. :smitten:
It’s mad to think those dx cranks was available around 1982 , so ahead of there time with the design .
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 12:00 AM »
This is looking really sweet, great job .  fistblump

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 12:43 AM »
Once again loving this.. :smitten:
It’s mad to think those dx cranks was available around 1982 , so ahead of there time with the design .

..this set is dated 1980. I think this is when production started (more on this another time).

griff

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Great thread Peter - love how this is coming together (& great job on the crank!)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Great build thread  :daumenhoch:  I'd be more than happy with just a set of those DX cranks but they go for silly money now  :-\

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 10:10 PM »
Great build. Great thread  fistblump 8)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Progress has been slow. Work has been terrifically busy not least as we start to gear up for the spring. The recent poor weather has relaxed things a little so I have been able to advance the project a little.

I have decided to replace the Tioga V bars with a pair of Kuwahara bars, sold to me a Nova (they have an identical shape to Laserbars; identical height, width and sweep but there are differences in knurling and the diameter of the crossbar). They are rider condition but not so that they compromise the build in any way. I love wide lairy bars

I bit of fettling of the Shimano Tourney DX brakes...

...it was going to get some OGK grips but as they were motorcycle ones I thought I would rather use these Tange ones...

PTO!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:23 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 05:20 PM »
...this is the Shimano DX chainwheel I anodised with the cranks, it came out perfect and first time!

Some time ago I documented the restoration of a couple of Elina Lightning Bolt seats on this forum (http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,190557.msg1915140.html#msg1915140) and at last I have a chance to use the black one. These are so dear now I doubt I will be able to afford another! I do have a sun damaged red one which I bought at MK a couple of years ago, I think that will be my last!

Wheels next and they need a lot of work, more soon I hope.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:22 PM by Avro »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1980 Tange Hot Heart build.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx