gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975496 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  STA upgrades.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: STA upgrades.  (Read 10482 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
STA upgrades.
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Built this at the end of my tenancy a couple of years back. Put on some cheap parts because it cost more than I thought it would (don't they all  :LolLolLolLol: )

Brake cost me ?100. I love taking NOS things out and using them. And yeah, it's filthy. I rode it for a year before I put it away  :slayer:

OK so before. The seat clamp has cracked (so it's FUBAR) and I don't like it.

NOS SNAFU Armstrong stem, SNAFU hex seat clamp, SNAFU grips and etc (all period correct NOS). Profile GDH and a Fishbone XUFO. I don't want to talk about what it all cost me  :LolLolLolLol:

As I said, this thing is filthy. When I get done I will clean it. This took me about two hours (star nut fun, it was too deep in the fork).

And now I just spent another hour dialling it in. Only to realise the sodding XUFO is not only upside down but it's back to front too  :nickswan: So I have to tear it all apart again tomorrow. I also had to flip the Pitbull, and take the entire front end apart. Only to have to do it all again tomorrow  :nickswan:

Seat and post was about the only thing that went well.

After tossing it around for about four hours my back is done. She's a bit of a fatty, like. Will go back up tomorrow and pretty much start again  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: STA upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 03:01 PM »
I don't like being beaten. Another one done for now. Going to remove the Skyway grip savers, but didn't have the screwdriver I need.

Will either hunt down some proper decals or make them come Spring.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 04:12 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  gota love an STA,  contemplated having NS version made , or a 250  :chin:   couldn't decide  ;D

got a blue fishbone ufo, used but in goos nick, should you be  interested? 

may be wrong on this but does snafu armstrong stem have a single clamp bolt?  got a single clamp bolt,  nos one and thought that was an armstrong?   

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:45 PM »
On the stem? no idea. That is what I was told it was on my DB NG when I asked on BMX Museum. I have a graphite coloured one on that, it's exactly the same. They may have used the same name on others though.

My buddy has a modern Standard. 250L? something like that. The L stands for light apparently.

He swore by it. At the time I was riding a Proper BSH, but I had a bad stack on it and realised when fixing it that it was heavy and the back end was too short. I was going to get a Standard, S&M or T1 (like a new school ride) but a Metal Kizz fell into my lap last year and after riding it it's the best bike I have ridden. It's really light, has all of the modern manners but retains the slightly longer back end. This is good, as I don't like falling on my arse any more.

Thankfully I don't need any more parts now. I've literally got every last part for my next project and the one after (if I decide to take it on, it's only a cheap Goose). I only wanted the XUFO on it as my original STA had one on it.

Same thing with the blue Skyway grip savers... Back then all I had was my bike, and working on it used to crush the grips. So I found those in the basement of the shop I used to work in and not only were they good for keeping the bike stable upside down when I was working on it but also served as fantastic knuckle protectors if you had to swerve around someone and hit a lamppost (as I found out).

Gonna take those off though. I have a stand now and all that.

Oh yeah, that's not my buddy (well, it is...) but Ephraim Catlow on my buddy's bike.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:49 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:41 PM »
She's a bit of a fatty, like.

That's ^^^ why I love this site! I check out the Museum every day but... it's just not British!  :Great_Britain: :daumenhoch:

Anyway, back to BMX, I like the changes you made. Thank f**k you got rid of that circus seat as well. :-*
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Seems I have a sick pitbull :(

Look at the back of the cam pins. Something missing.

Only way I can think to fix it is to get my buddy to machine new pins with screw on ends. Bastard ! I was so close to putting it away too :(

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 03:52 PM »
It's not over. Is it ever?

So the other week I was bumming around on Ebay, with money. A dangerous combo. That said I did run into these.

And had a double take. Eh? are you telling me those are original mid school Standard Strip bars uncut? If you thought that the S&M CW was rocking horse poo then I assure you it's nothing compared to an original set of mid school bars in one piece still.

I had to. I just had to. Bye bye vocal, hello Standard.

Of course this created a dilemma. I cut the grips down for those heavily cut Vocals. So I bumped into these on Source yesterday and were part of a very large order.

All I need to do is reproduce that reproduced decal, throw on some black after a light sanding and we're good.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 10:37 PM »
Now we're on a roll. I decided I wanted the micro gearing gone. Along with the blue wheels and parts. I have a black headset I bought for the T1 and didn't use so I will fit that. I bought this wheel earlier. Same 48 quid as the one on the T1 (same place).

And will get a front black wheel soon. They are the easy bit. Then a mate of mine had this, and did me a super deal on it.

I want to replace the junky fork on this. Have a couple of ideas though...

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Found a Alex Y22 on a sealed hub for the front.

Also figured out which fork I want on there. The ones on there were ?14. Mongoose shite, not long enough for a gyro. So the stem isn't attached very well right now  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Yeah this one is deffo next. I cleaned up the sprocket with Gunk.

It looks new. Yesterday I started work. First I changed the back wheel, chain and sprocket. Profile pain  :rant: Man getting them off is a pain, even with the tool.

I then embarked on a three hour session in the loft. It was a total nightmare. I changed the fork (you will see that at some point today) and then realised to get the stem on the correct way up I had to cut the top plate for the XUFO. That took over 2 hours with a junior hacksaw and belt file. At which point not only did I smash another knuckle.

Which turned blue over night, I also decided my finger may be a bit too fat so I would take some off with the belt file  :LolLolLolLol:

OK so joking aside I am paying for it today  :LolLolLolLol:

Parts coming off.

The Vocal Neptune bars. Being replaced with 8.75" Standard Strip bars. I need to paint them black.

The black Mongoose fork is gone. Replaced with the one you will see shortly.

The blue wheels have gone.

The blue pedals are going, to be replaced with these, the last set on Ebay.

The cheapy Tektro levers are going, being replaced with these. NOS Fishbone skull levers.

Bike needs a black 990. Went cheap.

Want chrome pegs. Bought 4 of these Pazzazz pegs from the late 90s. Why do I know they are NOS? because I used to sell them at my shop  :LolLolLolLol:

I also had a problem with the lower gyro cable. When the Pitbull broke I had to remove it from the bike to fix it. Thus, the lower single gyro cable got chewed to F. That tends to happen on Pitbulls. So basically if you look at this pic here you can see there is a grub screw  on the silver block where the cables attach.

Inside you find that there are three channels. They use "D" type ends.

However I didn't have any. So this came out.

And worked beautifully. Just note, don't hold the lug in your fingers they get awful hot  :LolLolLolLol: Whilst there I realised that rectangle flat ones would actually fit better so that is what I made. With grips holding the lug  :LolLolLolLol:

I then had one job left to do. Draw this.

And then cut one for the bars. Will get some pics of the progress later :) I also need to drill a hole through the seat tube because I have had enough of the way the Pitbull sets up. F that.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 03:35 PM »
Haro. I was going to use the fork from the Ruben but it would be a massive ball ache and I am fitting pegs so all of that would have been a waste of time, given it would have looked identical.

You can see what I had to do there to avoid flipping the stem upside down.

Pedals and DT/TT decals going next. I then need to drill and tap a barrel adjuster into the seat tube through the seat post.

And my rebuilt cable :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:37 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Like the chrome forks with black painted frame  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 07:51 PM »
Yeah I didn't think I was going to like that tbh. Glad to be wrong though.

Just did the seat tube mod for the Pitbull. No more pissing around with that arm thing. Took the pedals off too, the blue didn't look good at all.

Decal is done. Old one I peeled to trace is at the bottom, new one sitting above it. Once the bars are painted this should be done this week. The wheel (front) should arrive tomorrow, and if my hands aren't hurting I will sand and paint the bars. Then it's just the pedals and front brake to come.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 09:45 PM »
The murder continues. Pedals are gone. So is that shit brake adjuster on the Pitbull that always faces the back of your seat post or tube. You will note I have drilled and tapped a barrel adjuster in there now. Which allows for a very tidy lower cable set up as I would have had mine BITD.

I also solved another annoying issue. The Y plate on the upper cable is set up so that you have the rear brake on the right side. If you don't? you get punished by having it facing toward the bars so you can't adjust anything properly  :rant:

When I realised that they could come apart I simply removed the two cables and switched them around, so it now faces the correct way.

I changed the seat too.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Buggerbollox.

Worst case scenario I will have to ask my buddy to machine a new axle. Can't find them for sale anywhere. Gotta love our modern throw away society. And ironically they are for sale everywhere in the USA.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 05:40 PM »
Replacement ordered. I will sort the other one out with Carlo. Didn't want to just sit around waiting for ages so found something even better.

Triple wall lol. Will go really well with the E on the back.

Sealed with a solid 14mm axle. Which is important, as I will need to file that down to fit the fork or cut the fork.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 11:07 PM »
The man tank rolls on.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 04:18 PM »
The tank wheel and pedals came.

Man, that wheel is heavy  :LolLolLolLol: Thing is I need to concentrate and not get caught up on the weight. That is how I ended up throwing loads of new parts on it in the first place. I need to cast my mind back to the "Heavy is better" days and really go to town.

Have decided to cut the fork drops. Still waiting on the levers and pegs, and I know if I did the cutting today I would hurt myself so yeah need to show some restraint.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Forgot yesterday's progress update. I took the Magic tech or whatever it's called (Dia Compe) off my Quadangle. The Quad would have come with Promax brakes. Put that on the STA and will fit the Promax back on the Quadangle soon.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Man what a frightfully good piece of fortune ! Tired of jackasses charging stupid money for old parts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194157561839

What you have there is a Velo grabber. For less than a fiver delivered. I have ordered two.

What you got there is basically a Primo mid school seat without the screen printed logo on it.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Cut the fork last night.

Then the most ridiculously heavy and over built brake levers arrived today  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Brakes done and dialled.

Last jobs are fitting the 4 pegs if they ever arrive (Hermes) and the seat. On this post.

I know I know, I am anti lay back. Ever caught yourself in the dick with a set of uncut bars? Now you know why we cut the shit out of them in those days. It's not pleasant  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Balls. Seems I missed an update. Sorry dudes.

Pegs and post are fitted.

It's now unbelievably heavy  :LolLolLolLol:

Seats I ordered are supposed to be coming today, but losing hope. I did find this.

It's a DMR 4130 post that looks identical to a Primo rod. No tax though, so it was ?10 delivered (what I mean is no sentimental tax was applied).

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 10:59 PM »
Seats arrived yesterday. Duly fitted. Post arrived this morning, not sure if I am using it yet. Bike is done though.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2022, 01:03 PM »
Working on the Super Fork.

I just sanded the legs out fully and "that annoying bit in the middle". I stopped short of the drops because there is a reasonably large koof on one leg, and a small one on the other.

I could basically sand forever and get nowhere, so that will need either the hand file or the belt file. The end cap on one side has taken a smack too, and is sticking out a wee bit. Same, that will get the file.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  STA upgrades.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx