gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2004 Euro Barcode.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2004 Euro Barcode.  (Read 15260 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 2004 Euro Barcode.
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2021, 05:04 PM »
OK so it seems that my OCD on prep meant the primer was literally perfect. So that left only one thing to do.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2021, 06:50 PM »

"wantit"

Yup it pops alright !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2021, 02:59 PM »
Quite probably the scariest day of them all. I was so paranoid I sat up late last night reading every single word on the two cans. Then when the moment arrived it was kinda so so.

The paint was high pressure. Which caught me off guard, as the paint I used yesterday was HVLP (high volume low pressure). It also spat. This is because of the effects it is carrying. I did my best, but every now and then the pool of clear building up on the button would fall into the stream and I ended up with three sags.

The pics here are made kinda small, so it may be hard to pick up. So I did this.

That was the worst one. I came in a bit dejected knowing I would have to fix that. Twenty minutes later I went down and got the nicest surprise yet.

Gone. It has completely vanished.

What sort of voodoo is this? nothing more than self levelling. I still felt a bit down. Not sure why. Then I brought it in.

And it was love at first sight.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2021, 05:49 PM »
It's done. I brought it in for a few tests and soon realised the clear was as hard as a rock. So hard I could pull a plastic scraper over it to put the decals down and it didn't bat an eyelid. So I decided to just stop being a fanny and finish it.

That holographic stuff is pretty mental. Watch what happens when you bring it into a darker place.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2021, 09:39 PM »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2021, 10:26 PM »
Mate, that came out brilliant!!! Just reward for all of the effort you've put it into it! :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2021, 10:53 PM »
That was a scrap. Ain't gonna lie I nearly gave up.

For the past four days all I could smell is raw steel and paint.

Just can't wait to get it built now. Will give it a couple of days to harden up more, then set about it. Between the frame and the cranks I've just been beaten senseless. I doubt I will ever put that much work into a bike again.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2021, 01:52 AM »
All in, balls deep. I wonder if there is even another one of these in the U.S.A, let alone in existence.

About 15 years ago Carlo had some Proper CNC brakes made. They were extremely expensive. He's had this one for the 7 years I have been back into BMX.

There was nothing wrong with the Mission one at all. Apart from the sex factor. Given the amount of pain, sweat and tears that has gone into this I wanted to go insane. So that every part is a killer part. I finished doing that by ordering this.

The Ruben has an interlock V2 on. There was just no way I could put a ?4 chain on his big brother. It had to be in the very least the same, but this bike is better.

I will be seriously winding things down when this is done, so I may as well go killer on everything I can. Parts left over always get used. Always.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Yeah so I have learned many lessons on painted frames  :LolLolLolLol: so I made this out of a thin piece of MDF and some A4 sticky back felt.

Tank is fitted and so is the BB shell.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2021, 08:36 PM »
S&M goodness.

Cranks have had to come off three times. I hate Profile. I really, really hate them. They have no f*****g offset ffs. That has been fixed now.

Some clever twat decided to go and spend ?110 on a brake and chain so it can't be finished yet  :LolLolLolLol:

That said I am still waiting on the bolts and shoulders for the crank arms so I can't finish it any way. Soon though. I can smell it !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2021, 01:42 PM »
She's upright. The crank bolts came. Fit perfectly. Had to do some tech pics and measuring for my friend so he can make the shoulders.

Brake and chain tomorrow and Sat apparently. Shoulders a bit longer, but it will be done sometime next week.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Pedals are going. I really don't like them. the colour is fine, I just don't like the shape. At all. I know it's been designed with riding in mind but they are too skinny and I don't like the shape of them.

Just found those on Ebay. I might ditch the grips too. They get dirty very quickly and it doesn't wipe off.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2021, 04:26 PM »
Yup. when to hold and when to fold. Those pedals and grips just looked wrong. Thank god I got the S&Ms for my STA.

That Proper brake isn't going on until it's been stripped and polished either. The colour of the frame just can't take anything busier than the seat really.

Have fitted the Kink one for now.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2021, 08:17 PM »
Pedals are going. I really don't like them. the colour is fine, I just don't like the shape. At all. I know it's been designed with riding in mind but they are too skinny and I don't like the shape of them.

Just found those on Ebay. I might ditch the grips too. They get dirty very quickly and it doesn't wipe off.

Now you're talking  :smitten:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2021, 09:02 PM »
It didn't occur to me to even search for them tbh. So glad I did now. I love NOS stuff. Sooo awesome :D

So earlier I had to take the measurements (properly) for the shoulders. I guess I was tired and a bit pissed off when I guesstimated them, but tbh they would never have worked. My pal sent me a really nice vernier. Far better than the one I forgot to bring over.

That's my crank installer. It fits perfectly. So I used that for the OD of the shoulder.

Next up the OD of the bolt head.

And depth of the counter.

After modelling it

He test printed one to see if it "looked right". Things in 3D look weird. Looks pretty spot on, so he will bash those out ASAP.

The last thing to do was buy this.

To stop the fooker walking out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:11 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2021, 01:54 PM »
I got parts.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Chain is done.

The finish line is finally in sight !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2021, 01:19 PM »
I had to try it. At that price? yeah I had to try it before chucking it in a parts box.

I'm glad I did it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2021, 03:18 PM »
Pedals are in.

The next time I take a tool to the bike it will be the last time. It's literally just fitting the crank bolt shoulders when they arrive and some threadlocker and done.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Took the crank bolt shoulders off my Ruben for now. I need that out soon any way to put some pegs and shit on it. It's finished.

T1 Barcode frame

Huffy 4130 fork

T1 Ruben bars repainted black

United "Purge" Stem with restored fat bolt and cap

S&M logo grips

Snafu CNC bar ends

Tange Tank headset (NOS)

Jet brake lever, polished

Jet cable

Proper CNC mid school brake (NOS)

Alex Supra G rear wheel with ODY tube and Fly Sergio tyre. Seventies cassette 13t (NOS)

Primo Cyclone rear hub guard

Sun Rhino Lite front wheel with Mirraco hub (NOS)

Ging chain tensioners (NOS)

Profile Madera cranks restored and painted black

Profile 36t sprocket

S&M Euro BB

Demolition Team pedals. Magnesium (NOS)

Shadow Interlock Supreme chain

Mirra pegs

S&M kevlar camo saddle

S&M Long Johnson post

S&M XLT seat clamp

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2021, 11:16 PM »
It took ages for the pics to upload on my slow old boat of a pc but man, it was worth it! Love those brakes (who would have thought that colour combo would work!) and much prefer the look of the black pedals and grips over the og choices. If I may say so Sir, you bloody well nailed this one!! IMHO, it's your best build to date. Or at least my favourite one. Props indeed! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2021, 11:44 PM »
Great thread, great build, great result. All you efforts paid off. I like  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2021, 12:21 AM »
It took ages for the pics to upload on my slow old boat of a pc but man, it was worth it! Love those brakes (who would have thought that colour combo would work!) and much prefer the look of the black pedals and grips over the og choices. If I may say so Sir, you bloody well nailed this one!! IMHO, it's your best build to date. Or at least my favourite one. Props indeed! :daumenhoch:

I have had my beady eye on that brake for about 8 years  :LolLolLolLol:

Green parts seem to have totally fallen off a cliff. I have seen green wheels, but tbh they don't look all that. Was a total shot in the dark really. I really like to go a bit off piste with the parts. It would be so easy to buy an EVO II like every one else. I have no idea why I thought it would work. In fact, when I looked at it with the Primo parts and realised they looked terrible I was really worried it would look poo. So much so I left it sitting in the box for three days.

Wish I could find a lever that colour now ! I thought the polished stuff would look incredible but tbh? it marks so easy. The pedals too. So glad Chili posted those now (thanks dude). Obviously I had to find them, but they were there thank god. I used to love Primo pedals but every one has them.

Really wasn't easy this one. At all. I'm so glad I stuck with it though because it's one of my grails. The other grail? pah, I have about as much chance of finding that as I do being struck by lightning twice (Curtis DSR in tangerine). I have only ever heard about one in the 12 years I have been back into this, and it wasn't tangerine it was grey. I even phoned Curtis to see about getting one made but they threw out the plans :(

Thanks for sticking around for the journey boys. It's certainly been one ! nice to go a little crazy at the end too. Interesting fact. The chain cost more than both wheels  :LolLolLolLol:

I've had an idea for that CW too. So I have one more left in me.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2021, 09:20 PM »
Just when I thought it was all over. It wasn't.

Will clean it up, blow it over with satin black and replace the bolts.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2021, 01:28 AM »
Stem is in. Had some damage so I got rid of it all.

Quick wet and dry and a blow over with satin black.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2004 Euro Barcode.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx