gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 28, 2024, 11:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  The ones that got away/should have been drowned
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The ones that got away/should have been drowned  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Streetboss

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
The ones that got away/should have been drowned
« on: April 30, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Well, I recently joined for the midschool forum, as I've foolishly developed my midlife crisis interest in little boys bikes.
I picked up a 97/8 Specialized Fatboy A1 recently and have to say, it would have been something I'd have avoided bitd.....but, now I think I quite like it.....
Looking back with rose-tinted specs, I can think of some bikes I'd love to get hold of again, notably a 98 Holmes or a Reynolds Racing Fresh 40, but I think some bikes from that time were definitely stinkers like the Heavy As fook.
So, what were your ones that got away, and what bikes did you hate?

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: The ones that got away/should have been drowned
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Hoffman Condor. *THE* worst bike I rode during the 90s. It was so horrible I actually took it back  :LolLolLolLol:

Worst seat angle, worst head tube angle, worst everything. It was fooking useless for street riding.

JAD Sherman. As I got good and started doing stupid things I got talking to the guy that was distributing them in the UK. I ended up with a sponsor frame and cranks. The cranks were beautiful, the frame was horrible. It was nose heavy, no matter how hard you yanked its chain. Like, you could pull up that front end like you were pulling the mugger from your gran and it would STILL nose dive. It was outright dangerous. So much so I feared for my life when riding it, and at the end of the year I swapped it for a 96 STA.

Hilarious part is those two are among the most desirable and collectible frames today from the 90s. Really makes me laugh how both are total shit. Just goes to show people don't rate shit on how it rides  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Streetboss

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Funny, a mate of mine had a Condor, around 94/95 and it just looked odd, especially with Patriots.
I'll admit, I was always intrigued by the Jad, more the racing bikes though; I had no idea there was a UK distributor though, I've literally NEVER seen one.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Funny, a mate of mine had a Condor, around 94/95 and it just looked odd, especially with Patriots.
I'll admit, I was always intrigued by the Jad, more the racing bikes though; I had no idea there was a UK distributor though, I've literally NEVER seen one.

The guy was called Patrick. I don't remember his last name. Mine was white. I wanted the emerald green but it went to another rider. They weren't around for very long in the UK. Beautiful looking bike. Just horrible to ride. I know some people raced them, but I don't understand why given they were so heavy. Yeah, that I beam weighed a ton. It was like a scaffold pole lol.

Offline Streetboss

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:29 AM »
I think the race ones were a bit different. I hope so, at least! I remember the test Ride USA did with Ken Hale and Dave Young.  That ended in bloodshed!

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:53 PM »
I think the race ones were a bit different. I hope so, at least! I remember the test Ride USA did with Ken Hale and Dave Young.  That ended in bloodshed!

Yeah one did a rail and landed on his face. They put that in Ride UK LOL.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  The ones that got away/should have been drowned

gfxgfx
gfx gfx