gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
972292 Posts in 138487 Topics by 6132 Members - Latest Member: panoramer July 29, 2021, 03:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Sjappi info please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sjappi info please  (Read 405 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Sjappi info please
« on: July 16, 2021, 01:02 AM »
So chaps, I don't know what I've bought but it's a gamble. It's coming from Switzerland, unless the seller cancels on me. I bought it for the wheels mainly but it looks interesting. Apparently early Sjappi frames were welded in the Netherlands and later ones in the States. It's been sold to me as a 96 but that's all I know. The chainring guard looks kinda cool. The wheels are Peregrine HP48s on Suzue hubs dated 0K, I think that's Nov 1990 ??? Probably wrong though. The logos are screen printed, I think they might be an Anlun rim,  not a Ukai. All info found on the museum, and only one bike, so not much to go on. Do any of you mid schoolers know anything else about the Sjappi frame or the wheels ?

Sjappi apparently means juicy in Dutch.

Cheers  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:02 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Sjappi info please
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:02 AM »
The listing stated Hoffman forks, do they look like Condor forks to you guys ?  Pretty close to my uneducated eye.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:03 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 01:09 AM »
I've managed to find 2 pics on Instagram in addition to the other pics and info on the museum. There's a thread on the museum about obscure mid school bikes and brands, the Sjappi was mentioned and somebody said the later US built frames were done by Fabweld. That's all I have.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I have just had a reply from the seller. He is shipping from Switzerland. He told me all he knows is that the bloke he got it from won it in a BMX magazine competition, it was a test bike, and it is a Dutch frame.

Also, the Fatjam 95 pic, is that Stuart King? 

Here's a few more pics from the listing.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:10 PM »
A few more pics

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 07:25 PM »
I've managed to find 2 pics on Instagram in addition to the other pics and info on the museum. There's a thread on the museum about obscure mid school bikes and brands, the Sjappi was mentioned and somebody said the later US built frames were done by Fabweld. That's all I have.

I now think the first pic was taken at Sjappi Trails venue where Fatjam took place. So the bike probably isn't a Sjappi.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 10:06 PM »
So I read the thread on the museum again and I had missed something quite important. Bart de Jong was mentioned and was reported to have been riding a Sjappi at an event or competition in Europe. This could well have been a Sjappi/Fatjam at MAARSSENBROEK. So I searched Bart de Jong and found his FATBMX.COM which contains his earlier Fat zine publications. On reading, this guy has done a load of great stuff through his career. Pro competition rider, working for GT and judging at the Xgames to name just a few.
 I got brave and emailed his FATBMX contact address and got a reply about 20 minutes later. I wasn't banking on that, what a gent. He confirmed that he was sponsored by Sjappi Bikes for a while, and the company was created by Sander Nieuwenhuis and Jeroen Hoogaerts (RIP). The company was short lived, it lasted a few years. Sjappi was a cult Dutch BMX brand. Bart also still owns his bike from Bitd, cool. I might ask him for the spec list on it. That would be a cool build to recreate.

That's probably as much as I'm going to find out. Bart said there are some adverts in the Fat zines so I'll go through them when I get a chance and see what I find.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 11:49 AM »
I went on FATBMX.COM and had a quick flick through some of the mid 90s zines. There were a few adverts but no pics of the frame. I found an advert for Rabbit BMX, this is the shop that supplied the bike, I noticed the sticker on the frame. I also found a pic of a bike with the same grind disc, it is a KHE.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Sjappi info please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx