gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975502 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 03:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Sjappi info please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sjappi info please  (Read 14967 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Sjappi info please
« on: July 16, 2021, 01:02 AM »
So chaps, I don't know what I've bought but it's a gamble. It's coming from Switzerland, unless the seller cancels on me. I bought it for the wheels mainly but it looks interesting. Apparently early Sjappi frames were welded in the Netherlands and later ones in the States. It's been sold to me as a 96 but that's all I know. The chainring guard looks kinda cool. The wheels are Peregrine HP48s on Suzue hubs dated 0K, I think that's Nov 1990 ??? Probably wrong though. The logos are screen printed, I think they might be an Anlun rim,  not a Ukai. All info found on the museum, and only one bike, so not much to go on. Do any of you mid schoolers know anything else about the Sjappi frame or the wheels ?

Sjappi apparently means juicy in Dutch.

Cheers  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:02 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Sjappi info please
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:02 AM »
The listing stated Hoffman forks, do they look like Condor forks to you guys ?  Pretty close to my uneducated eye.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:03 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 01:09 AM »
I've managed to find 2 pics on Instagram in addition to the other pics and info on the museum. There's a thread on the museum about obscure mid school bikes and brands, the Sjappi was mentioned and somebody said the later US built frames were done by Fabweld. That's all I have.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I have just had a reply from the seller. He is shipping from Switzerland. He told me all he knows is that the bloke he got it from won it in a BMX magazine competition, it was a test bike, and it is a Dutch frame.

Also, the Fatjam 95 pic, is that Stuart King? 

Here's a few more pics from the listing.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:10 PM »
A few more pics

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 07:25 PM »
I've managed to find 2 pics on Instagram in addition to the other pics and info on the museum. There's a thread on the museum about obscure mid school bikes and brands, the Sjappi was mentioned and somebody said the later US built frames were done by Fabweld. That's all I have.

I now think the first pic was taken at Sjappi Trails venue where Fatjam took place. So the bike probably isn't a Sjappi.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 10:06 PM »
So I read the thread on the museum again and I had missed something quite important. Bart de Jong was mentioned and was reported to have been riding a Sjappi at an event or competition in Europe. This could well have been a Sjappi/Fatjam at MAARSSENBROEK. So I searched Bart de Jong and found his FATBMX.COM which contains his earlier Fat zine publications. On reading, this guy has done a load of great stuff through his career. Pro competition rider, working for GT and judging at the Xgames to name just a few.
 I got brave and emailed his FATBMX contact address and got a reply about 20 minutes later. I wasn't banking on that, what a gent. He confirmed that he was sponsored by Sjappi Bikes for a while, and the company was created by Sander Nieuwenhuis and Jeroen Hoogaerts (RIP). The company was short lived, it lasted a few years. Sjappi was a cult Dutch BMX brand. Bart also still owns his bike from Bitd, cool. I might ask him for the spec list on it. That would be a cool build to recreate.

That's probably as much as I'm going to find out. Bart said there are some adverts in the Fat zines so I'll go through them when I get a chance and see what I find.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 11:49 AM »
I went on FATBMX.COM and had a quick flick through some of the mid 90s zines. There were a few adverts but no pics of the frame. I found an advert for Rabbit BMX, this is the shop that supplied the bike, I noticed the sticker on the frame. I also found a pic of a bike with the same grind disc, it is a KHE.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48 PM »
Like Midschoolfool, I am very close to receiving my goodies. Hopefully tax free ! I think we now have a fully ratified continuity agreement with Switzerland with regards to imports. Hopefully that means pre brexit trading rules.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 03:47 PM »
How wrong was I !
I have just paid 70 quid vat and duty. Held to ransom springs to mind. It was like pulling hairs out of my arse  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 09:48 PM »
Yeah, I don't think customs will be "missing" anything now we are not part of the EU.

Sorry man I will be honest and say I come here, post my logs and then usually get back to what I am doing. I don't read much of the rest of the forum. I should, I just get ants in my pants at the PC and usually get up and go do something.

I'm  not sure about the rims. I had the Super Pro, which were chromed. Which tbh? I am glad I don't have any more, as they all went scabby and are nasty now. That said it's irrelevant as mine got stolen in 99.

The fork indeed looks like a 1" Hoffman Superfork. Never heard of the frame, looks very generic. That said with the absolutely ludicrous prices those wheels fetch now it could still have been a bargain.

BTW that bash guard has me intrigued. The writing looks like Haro's font from the 90s, but I don't recall them making one? it has to be Haro surely?!?!?

https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/208303

Just read back. It's not a KHE fella. It's on a Haro Master. It's 100% fusion  :daumenhoch: This is the KHE.

Yeah, it is.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:55 PM by Midschoolfool »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 10:01 PM »
BTW, your frame is exactly what it says it is. I thought it may have been a TNT, but it's quite different. Drops look like TNT/GT from the 90s but nah, it's a Sjappi !

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sjappi/97740

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 12:23 AM »
Thanks for your reply, I was getting lonely on this thread :LolLolLolLol: You have been busy on your own builds  :daumenhoch: I reckon you are right about the eagle eyes at customs  :tickedoff:

The wheels? only just seeing the JAPAN in print on the rim makes me think they must be Ukai. Whether they are stamped, time will tell. Anlun have always been Taiwanese, right ?

The grind disc? still not sure on that to be honest. All the ones I have checked out on Haro Ultra's, Blammo's and Super Blanmo's have the extra five holes in them. Then I found a pic of a KHE which also has the extra five holes. It's exactly the same as the Haro, I wonder if either company made one without the extra holes ?

The forks? thanks for the I?d on the forks, if they are Hoffman, does that make them the early SE made forks with the smaller peg bosses ?

The frame? not being up on mid school at all it was a gamble, it looks different enough and the listing details stated it was crmo. Whether it is or not, who knows ? If it does turn out to be a USA made frame welded at Fabweld, I would be chuffed to be honest. I had never heard of the brand and being a small and short lived, why would I have I guess.

Cost? for the nearly complete bike I paid 170 quid. The shipping from Switzerland was 30 quid, which I thought was cheap. Then the dreaded charges were 70 quid, so all in at 270 quid. I am OK with that, like you said, the wheels are fetching good money and forks could possibly set me back a fair whack at today's prices. We all love a bargain, yes but this was a calculated risk for popping my mid school cherry 🍒. The wheels swung the deal for me to be honest.

:LolLolLolLol: The 5 quid Velo seat is not going to work with the post I bought for this build. I did not pay attention to the oversized rails. School boy error, luckily a cheap one.

How do you think your Dragonfly bars would sit on this build if they came my way ? Honest answer please  :chin:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:33 AM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Just found this on 23mag.com

It looks like Haro nicked KHE's 1990 grind disc design.

http://www.23mag.com/com/khe/khe.htm

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 02:21 AM »

BTW that bash guard has me intrigued. The writing looks like Haro's font from the 90s, but I don't recall them making one? it has to be Haro surely?!?!?

https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/208303

Just read back. It's not a KHE fella. It's on a Haro Master. It's 100% fusion

Yeah, it is.

Well spotted, I concur  fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Be happy about that dude. Haro parts are worth a bomb these days. KHE? nowhere near as much.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Yup, I am happy about that. It is nice it has the og decals in place too. Thanks for nailing the ID fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Just found this on 23mag.com

It looks like Haro nicked KHE's 1990 grind disc design.

http://www.23mag.com/com/khe/khe.htm

Yeah I think that's why the print says "Almost" in brackets  :LolLolLolLol: looks like top class thievery from Haro there  :LolLolLolLol:

That shouldn't be a decal BTW. That is most probably screen printed like their 8 ball sprockets and golf ball ones etc.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 04:08 PM »
I think you're right about the ?almost?

Thanks for the info, good to know it's screen printed and not decals  :daumenhoch:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 06:46 PM »
The Sjappi landed today but it sustained serious damage during shipping. You know what happened, yes, a wheel double dented and gouged the paint on the down tube because the frame was unprotected. The wheel was well protected but those spindles always pop through and cause damage, why don't people take them out ? Not sure if I am even going to build this now. Quite a shame as the frame is nice and has thick drop outs. Luckily the wheels are in great shape and spin true. A bit of a silver lining I guess.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 08:59 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Oh yeah, the grind disc has decals on, that was a surprise.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 09:39 PM »
That is a surprise ! Sucks about the dents :( I had the same crap with the Huffy I bought. Didn't secure the wheels and they destroyed what was otherwise a pristine frame. That said I did get a partial refund, and TBH I doubt I would have ever rebuilt that Huffy.

BTW going back to dents. Guess what I found on my Morales?  :LolLolLolLol: body filler. thankfully it's a tiny tiny bit and there is one tiny dent on the entire frame. Easily repaired with JB. Had he sanded said body filler I would have had no idea it was even there. Good thing is he did a crap job of it and thus I scraped it all out. He didn't even sand the frame before spray bombing it. I think it's some sort of enamel because it reeks of crayons  :LolLolLolLol:

TBH finding a mid school frame is usually pretty easy, unless it's something super rare or exotic.

I watched an alu Fatboy sell on Ebay for 44 quid last night.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 11:42 PM »
Yeah it sucks but the deal wasn't a total loss. There is a tiny ding on the top tube too, I could have lived with it because there is no paint damage.  I've messaged the seller asking about shipping insurance or the possibility of a partial refund, sent him a few pics too. No reply yet. If a frame turns up, you never know. I will just break it down for now and get back to my other builds. The thing that bugs me is the spindles were both hand tight, it would have taken 5 minutes to take them out and bag them up with the bearings. Oh well it isn't the first time it's happened to me !
 :LolLolLolLol:

Shame about your Morales, sounds like it isn't that bad and you can sort it though  fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 01:02 AM »
I never remove them personally. I just use those plastic discs (I have loads) or some very strong card zip tied on both ends and then pad foam (like BMX pad foam, insulation). That stops them breaking through the box.

My Mongoose Villain arrived with the drops poking out of the box and one of them bent 90'.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 04:31 PM »
Just agreed on a partial refund with the seller. I asked for 20% and he agreed. That's a 40 Euro refund, I'm happy with that. I didn't want to be too greedy as the rest of the bundle was a great deal. He was easy to deal with and we we're both happy with the result.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:44 PM by Chilli Rinse »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Sjappi info please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx