gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 06:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The Execution of old parts ! FBM Guillotine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Execution of old parts ! FBM Guillotine  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
The Execution of old parts ! FBM Guillotine
« on: October 02, 2021, 09:02 PM »
What better way to get rid than build a bike  :LolLolLolLol:

I will really have to dig through IMGUR to find images of all the parts. It really is a mish mash ffs. I bought this frame super cheap recently.

Will repaint it. Not totally decided what colour yet. Ordered decals from USA

I've drawn a couple of others for die cutting with the plotter. The bike would have come complete looking like this.

Which tbh? for 350 quid or more was taking the piss a bit really. The whole thing is hi ten steel. That said, when I think about it I guess most Mafia shite bikes cost that and are like, all junk. Some even have 1pc cranks on. Man, bikes got expensive huh? I have redrawn the "Guillotine" text there for cutting for the top tube. Colour will be something very dark and sinister.

Parts. I have a sealed black external headset *somewhere*. I bought it for the Morales and didn't use it. Got a feeling that is downstairs somewhere. Bars will be Vocal Neptune powdered in black (cut, a lot) with a Firma stem.

Stem

With a Firma lever.

It'll be these bars here.

This brake

And finally  :LolLolLolLol:

BD seat and cult post.

Proper clamp. Painted to match the frame.

For wheels I ordered these on sale.

Tyres will be the Ruben campis from the Ruben I stripped.

I think that's about all of it. God knows !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: The Execution of old parts ! FBM Guillotine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:04 PM »
Oh and the fork will be the shitty Mongoose one on the STA when those bars were on it also. I had those powdered at the same time, so a quick buff and both should look awesome.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Cheers. Looks like that will keep you busy :)

I ordered wheels so all I need now are pedals and grips. Won't really know what colour until I've ordered paint.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Update of sorts. Can't upload pics because I'm out on my phone.

Thought about the cut bars and horrible fork and decided to replace. That said I was stingy af. I bought a really nice Eclat fork with cast ends for 30 quid. They need stripping and painting. Bought some trans black bars for 33 quid (United Air Jordan iirc) as well as two tubes, some demolition grips and purple Ruben graphite pedals. Total was ?100, so pretty good. Especially considering just a decent fork costs that.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Parts are in. I went on holiday and got sick. Not sure what it was, but it's mostly gone and now I am self isolating for two more days.

I got these wheels.

These grips.

And these pedals. All was on sale.

I also got a couple of tubes. When I reassessed the Vocal bars they are cut to all buggery. So I got these, United Air Jordans on clearance for 32 quid.

They are trans black, so don't really look anything like that. I will get a pic at some point soon. For the fork I got forked a bit  :LolLolLolLol: I found some Demolition Concorde V2.

Which are 150 quid. I put in an offer of 40, and because I came down sick totally forgot about it. So when I found these (Eclat Storm, also 150 quid) for 30 I bought them insta.

They need a total strip and paint, but they are top top end forks. Then after that about three hours later the sod accepted my offer on the Demos so I bought them too. Couple of bikes here could do with better forks so hey, I now have two pairs coming and can pick.

Decided I am going to use the Haro lineage stem (it's much better than that Firma) and possibly the nuke sprocket too. Why use low end parts when I have top end ones and all that.

I literally just ordered the paint. Kobra did not have what I wanted in the colour I wanted it (dark purple) so I went with Molotow. They all seem about the same, but they had Blackberry.

However like I said it is getting a sinister twist, red flake.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 01:09 PM »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10 PM »
I really enjoy watching your builds evolve - the twists and turns of direction, changing selection of colours and parts and overall vision. :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 01:58 PM »
haha there shouldn't be any more twists. I actually fitted the pedals to the Salt cranks last night  :LolLolLolLol:

Well, there is one minor twist. I am going to use the polished Haro stem and Nuke sprocket. Simply because they are far more high end than what I was going to use.

Sadly this won't be done this year unless we have a weather miracle in November. I went away on holiday last week and came down with something. It's still going on, and I feel like poo, so I won't be outside in this beautiful weather stripping paint sadly.

Half of the holiday was me self isolating, so I just bought a load of computer parts to upgrade one of my PCs. I think the Eclat fork arrived earlier, but I am avoiding mum at the moment (she has a hospital appt Friday, so I am being ultra careful). I will go down later and open them up. I fitted the grips earlier too, and they are really nice. I also have a pair of those Mirra pegs left too in polished, so those parts  should tie in with the wheels nicely.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 03:40 PM »
OK, so it was the fork that arrived earlier. Just went down and checked it out.

They are Eclat Storm forks. Cast ends etc, very expensive. ?150 for black etc and ?160 for chrome. As I looked closelier (haha) I realised that the steerer was chromed.

Then started noticing flashes of chrome everywhere.

I don't know if it will be salvageable. I will need to chemical strip them and find out if they were sanded before paint. I don't think they were, given how easily it has fallen off. Either way they were 30 quid, and if I have to sand/etch them it's really not a big deal. Deffo using these for this bike though.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06 PM »
Got up into the loft a couple of days back.

I don't even remember doing that. I must have been bored or something, but we will call that mockup v1. That was with the too far cut bars and a hi ten mid school Mongoose fork that weighs a ton.

Fitted the grips, stem, pedals and sprocket.

The pedals change a lot under light. Fitted the tyres and tubes.

All ready for mockup V2.

I then spent the next two days sorting out my PC. The paint came today, though.

So I just need to order some primer. I will tackle the fork first though, whenever that is.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Well that sorta sucked. I spent about an hour looking for the black headset before I went away on holiday. Was certain it must be downstairs. Looked down there a couple of days back, wasn't there. Unusual for me to "misplace" things being autistic. Any way, I went back up into the loft earlier and had another search. Nothing. In the end I found the top cap, then I realised I must have used it. But where? god only knows. In the end I had to look at every bike I have ffs, then I clocked that the Standard STA had a black headset on. Then I realised that when I removed all of the blue I also removed this.

And hence why I couldn't find it  :LolLolLolLol:

But shit, that means I have to buy one because there was no way I was using a blue headset. So I had a play with the blue one, and I managed to get the bearings out. They are sealed, but one came apart. I managed to press that one back together though, so they are out and free.

Then I just needed to make a caustic stew, and.

I now have a silver one. Handy. That's saved me twenty quid !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 10:45 PM »
I had the urge to fit the headset. I don't even know why, but I had a feeling. Good thing I did really. It didn't work. The Eclat fork is tapered and has a built in crown race. Problem is it's tapered for at least three inches. This is probably to make it stronger.

As such the fork was going into the headset and stopping short about 3". It caused a great deal of head scratching. So, I grabbed a regular IHS bearing that goes on a new school bike and sure enough it fits like a glove. Then I was thinking "Well maybe these bearings in the headset are smaller" but that didn't make any sense. I have used new school forks in external headsets time and again. Most recently when I fitted the temporary Lineage fork to my STA. Those went into a external headset no bother.

So, I once again pried the bearing out of the cup. Sure enough, it fitted beautifully. Which was the light bulb moment. It wasn't the bearing jamming it was the ID of the cup. Took a file to the ID, and it only took about a minute to get it to clear. I'm very glad I had this premonition, as otherwise I would have had to deal with all of this bs with a freshly painted frame, getting frustrated and annoyed (never a good thing with a freshly painted frame  :LolLolLolLol: ).

The fork now fits beautifully. It also explains why it arrived with me like this.

Take note of the crown race that had been smashed on, but stopped a good 8mm from the bottom. That is because the dumbass who did it (not me  :LolLolLolLol: ) thought the fork was knackered and gave up, failing to realise it has a taper and a built in fooking crown race.

There is one more job I need to do to the fork before I strip it. Basically it was missing its top cap. Which is a large, modern threaded one. However, these come in two types. One is twice as long as the other and has a gap in the thread.

That one is made by Jet, and is universal in so much that it fits the first type, and the second. The second type is that, but has no second thread. You cut that off. Issue being that the fork I have has a 10mm unthreaded run, and my Haro Lineage top cap I want to use is the second type. This one.

Which does not reach the thread in the Eclat fork. Fortunately? the fork is about 8mm too long and I do not want to use spacers. As such I will cut the fork down, meaning that I don't have to use spacers and the top cap I have will fit. Some of these top caps are as much as 30 quid FFS. I've tape marked the fork, so at some point tomorrow I will cut it and then hopefully if it's not peeing with rain strip the paint off and see what I actually got, too.

BTW. I usually have all of these issues and more. As such I have pretty much pre built most of the bike now, which is something I wish I had done in the past. See also - me telling you about fitment issues on a freshly painted frame. The only bike I pre built in total before build day after paint was the S&M CW. So, I guess I am finally learning  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 03:45 PM »
No saving that chrome  :LolLolLolLol:

People who do that should have their feet beat with a bat  :LolLolLolLol:

Gutted. The steerer came up nice too.

Oh well, paint it is.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11 PM »
Right. Mockup V2 is complete. Everything now fits and works lovely.

Front end all buttoned up lovely after I cut the fork down a bit.

Of course I have now had to buy etch primer, so I won't be doing any painting for a week or so.

Didn't like the nuke sprocket. I still had the 24/7 bash though.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Right. Staying on until the weekend. This cold is totally kicking my ass, and I now have a bout of bad IBS. Etch is coming tomorrow, so I may do some work then if I feel a bit better. In the meantime I drew up some graphics for the seat post and fork, and cut them etc.

This is the fork stock in black.

And what I came up with.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 11:12 PM »
Good work! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 12:43 AM »
nice
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 01:57 PM »
Weather has stopped play. It's howling wind. The fork is masked though, so if it calms down later I can get the etch on.

I also realised the fork is not Eclat Storm. It is the Eclat Stream. Same price, same sanko 4130 etc. Just has cast ends (which are much nicer imo).

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 02:55 PM »
Wind dropped. Put down the first coat of etch and came in. Went back down noticed one rain spot on them. So I gave them a second coat and brought them in.

Cast ends are lovely.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Fork finished.

I was going to clear coat them, but realised pretty quickly that a really glossy fork would make the bars look wrong. The bars are trans black, which is more matt.

So I just stopped short at three coats of satin black.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 07:25 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Today's fun.

Paint is nice, but holy crap it's very high pressure. So high it took about a minute to deplete the can ffs. This meant *A LOT* of peel. More than I have ever had.

I thought about it and originally thought "F-it, send it, the flake hides peel good" but it was bothering me (mmm, OCD). So much so I just got done an hour long wet sanding session.

After which I looked like fooking Barney.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 01:17 PM »

Just clear to go.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 01:56 PM »
Just went down and tacked it (to get rid of a couple of squatters  :LolLolLolLol: ) and to get rid of any loose flake. Then I shot the clear.

Think I will call the colour "Purple murder". It's amazing what you can do with 15 quid.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Right. All put away. Fingers crossed the decals should be waiting when I get home tomorrow.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The Execution of old parts ! FBM Guillotine

gfxgfx
gfx gfx