gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 05:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oink oink.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oink oink.  (Read 13613 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Oink oink.
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 04:36 PM »
I would imagine by the time I am done a lot of it will come off tbh. I tend to get them built, then as time goes on and parts show up I upgrade them.

The first thing will be the wheel set. I will find a front hub at some point, then lace these rims up.

The cranks will not get changed. Nor will the pedals I would imagine. Other stuff though will be upgraded.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2023, 06:30 PM »
OK so I bought a dual pull lever that I wasn't too happy with on account of it being enormous. It didn't matter one bit, because the parts off it were worth what I paid. As such.

I converted that mid school lever to dual pull. And apply.

Really happy with that. Bars are OG slam bars, so of course are new but 100% made to original spec, the lever is mid school and some T1 grips.

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2023, 07:12 PM »
 In the 1990's Slam bars were the only bars that never bent in me. Still got them fitted to my Pk Ripper now,great bars.👍
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 08:09 PM »
The Standard bars were what I rode at that time. No breaking those either  :LolLolLolLol:

But yeah, I must say I am a 4pc hater. Nearly every bike I have has 2pc on. Just glad S&M remade those. Otherwise I would have had to track down an uncut set (nearly impossible) and then restore them. That's the problem when you have a mint frame tbh, it looks kinda cack with rider condition parts on. Rod+back.

Talking of parts. I am going to restore the Kink Empire fork I have. 1999, U.S made. The Superfork on there is Taiwanese, and besides the Kink are rocking horse poo so I have to use them on something. They were going on the STA, but then the ditch fork turned up.

Now the original decal on those looked like this.

But, there is one thing rarer than an original Rochester made frame and that is the fork. So obviously I ain't gonna find those. What I did find is these.

I also need to now make a upper cable for the lever. And this comes with problems. I can't use knarps on the XUFO as it is made to take ball ends only (that was how in the end I got them to stay in, due to the frame being too wide) so I was either going to have to spend 15 quid on SLIC cables and cut them up for the longer ball ended part, or, find these  :LolLolLolLol:

The knarps will go behind the cable barrel at the lever. I would have cut up a gyro cable, but none are long enough on the dual part. Mostly because they join into one and use that for the rest of the length. I have the left over of the S&M red linear cable I bought to make the outers, so I just need to order a set of knarps.

I also got this for it.

Oh yeah and this.

Figured it was about time I used a real one lol.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2023, 06:41 PM »
OK more done. Not building the wheels, as SJS seem to be a bit tardy on shipping things out. Mercifully they are coming tomorrow. I don't want a marathon sesh, so I will just do the rear wheel first. The front needs to wait just a bit longer, as I shall now explain.

OK. So the game here is to make the tanky parts as light as humanly (and safely) possible. Now my initial idea was to have a female Ti axle made, then get Ti axle bolts. The thing is, from hours upon hours of research NO ONE has ever done that. And, there could well be a very valid reason for it. Titanium as a material is extremely strong, until it isn't. It gives no warning, no notice, and when it fails it does so in spectacular fashion. Now yeah, I want this thing as light as I can make it, but I don't want it dangerous. My pal is also a bit stand offish about working with it too.

So I was brain storming a little trying to think of ways to make the front hub lighter. I mean, obviously if an axle snaps or fails you want it to be the rear one. Because at worst you would fall on your padded arse. If a front one snaps? yeah oucho. Sooo, recently when doing the STA I realised that modern female front hubs have the same bearing OD as a 14mm front axle does. Mostly because they are not much more than a hollowed out, cut down 14mm axle. They look like this.

And as such take a 10mm (or 3/8 fine usually) bolt. Now recently when messing around in the loft I smacked apart a brand new female front wheel, and, this happened.

The bugger literally went straight in. Now I did have to keep the bearings from the mid school hub (it's a Diamondback btw in case you can't place that D) but the axle and its sleeves were a direct fit. Meaning I did not have to cut my Ditch fork, nor file down the axle.

Which is perfect, eh. The female axle is a F load lighter due to being hollow cro mo, and the sleeves on it are nothing more than alu spacers. So I looked into doing the same again. I managed to find an axle on Alan's (eww gob spit) for twenty quid. Plus 4 quid shipping.

But. It does not include the spacers. Now some of these are screw on, and some just literally push on. The ones I did recently from that RANT wheel were push on, but whatever the fact is you need them as they come out the full width of the 100mm. So that meant that axle was out, as it needs specific spacers. I think it is a Colony, so I would have to have found those screw on ones and then pay ?10 or more for more axle bolts. So by the time I did that? I would have been out about 45 quid.

Common sense then denoted that it was better to hunt down a used front hub, and rob it for parts. And so I did. Got this Eclat for 15 quid plus a fiver posted, and so 20 all in.

At which point I then stripped down my 13 pound China hub.

And am now ready when the Eclat arrives to rebuild it. What amazed me was how light the hub shell was. Like, really really light. The bulk of that nearly half a kilo weight (I shit you not) is the solid 14mm axle and the steel hardware.

However, I am not content with simply changing it to a hollow female one with alu hardware. Nope ! I am going to get Ti bolts for it.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2023, 11:07 PM »
Love your ingenuity!! :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2023, 02:21 PM »
Love your ingenuity!! :bow:

It's amazing what you can do when you don't want to cut up one of the rarest mid school forks ever  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh yes, I also did some digging last night. I found the axle (Eclat) for sale. For 5 euros.... Problem is it was on Source EU, and I don't even know if they ship to the UK. That said what was more important was finding out which type it was. It is the push together type, cool.

Which is the same as the RANT one I did. Confidence +1.

The spokes and cable arrived today. Will start the rear wheel later.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:29 PM by Midschoolfool »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2023, 04:14 PM »
Wheel building 101. Drink a big coffee. Sort spokes. Build  :LolLolLolLol:

Round two later. Just tightening tbh.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2023, 06:10 PM »
OK one down... They will need truing at the end. Will take them to the LBS. Right now though that isn't important. What is is my tyres actually fit *dances around*

Put the seat on for now too. It will need to come off as it needs some gluing.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2023, 10:36 PM »
From earlier.

It's now done. Tiny, and I mean tiny wobble, not enough for me to want to pay any money to get it sorted. The rear will need doing, but I can live with that.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2023, 05:40 PM »
Good Friday. If you say so  :LolLolLolLol: Me? I've started out by grinding the chain channels smooth. The sprocket is in great condition but whoever ran it last did so with a pissed chain line. So I deburred it and sorted that out first.

I then removed the anno from the outer ring (the middle will be painted satin black). I started off with a dremel wire brush thing. God those things suck. They just fly out and pepper you. I then realised it was bead blasted before anno, and so I need to sand that out. Oh what fun.

Round two will be enough. I can then mask it up and paint it.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2023, 07:24 PM »
It was at this time I realised I didn't have any black spray paint left  :LolLolLolLol:

Given it is now quite warm I decided to jump back up in the loft and get to work. I needed to remove the chain (to stop it just dragging there, the drive side needs completely flipping) and then I fitted the brake. At which point I had a two hour fight with the cranks. Ironically the left side pulled off by hand, the right fought me. I managed to bend the umbrella bolt and ruin it, but I have a lot of spares of those. The nice thing is now that all the fighting is over the left side is a piece of piss to remove, so there is that.

The bars are on also. I didn't bother doing all of the cable work because the whole front end is coming off once the Kink fork is restored any way.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2023, 09:57 AM »
Look, TITTIES ! (titty tanium)

Those are for the front axle. I got the hub yesterday but had to leave 2 minutes after it got there. I also got stem bolts.

I want another set of those for the cranks. The pinch bolts are basically stem bolts.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2023, 12:43 AM »
Can't go wrong with some titty action! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2023, 07:03 PM »
Nope !

I've found another place on the bay who sells them in packs of 4 (M6). Which I am 99% sure is what goes in the crank arms. If it is I will get those when I am back with the bike. They are 11.99 shipped, which is fine with me. The 6 pack cost me 15 quid, but there is no point buying more than I need. Especially at those prices. IIRC the M10 sprocket arm bolt is about 8 quid, so I will get one of those too.

I'm currently having a spring clearout. Jesus help me  :LolLolLolLol:

I moved in over 4 years ago, and just loaded all of my junk into the cupboards here and forgot about it. You know? stuff you can't leave behind but at the same time you think you might be able to use? well I have spent three days getting rid of that shit all down the stairs lol. I have literally filled up two of the four of our private dumpsters. Oops. Thing is for over four years all I have thrown in there is a black sack or two a week, if that. I am about to dissect two 5" foam mattresses with an electric carving knife and pack it into black sacks, so there is much more to come as I am getting a new bed  :LolLolLolLol:

What I also did today was dig these tank rollers out of the bedroom cupboard.

OH MY GOD they are heavy. I put them up on Facebook at an almost giveaway price, but the problem is people on there just want everything for free any way. So, to be a c**t I removed both of the axles and all of the bearings and alu cones  :LolLolLolLol: I also removed the tyres and tubes, so they are pretty much useless. NIHHHHHHHHH

That said in fairness I can 100% use the front axle no doubt. And the cones (well, collars) which are also anno red. I couldn't remove the Shimano freewheel, but amazingly it was a bit knackered. I do go hard on them tbh, especially with it being a single speed.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2023, 03:53 PM »
Result.

So I got over earlier. My black paint has arrived, cool. I forgot to order etch primer /doh. Now obviously I will need this for the fork, but I am not doing that until it is warm properly.

What I did do, however, was totally save myself the aggro of having to finish the sprocket and paint it. Simply by buying this.

I mean come on man I had to.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2023, 05:12 PM »
OK. So against all common sense I decided today was time to smack my bitch up. I mean, smack the axle out of that cheapo female hub I bought and harvest the parts. It was utterly filthy, so I gave it a good clean and then polished the alloy parts gently.

Sprinkle in some Ti bolts and we are good to go.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2023, 07:07 PM »
Just ordered four of these for the pinch on the cranks.

Will probably get a Ti sprocket bolt too, but that can wait for now.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2023, 07:48 PM »
It fits !

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2023, 02:00 PM »
Wow. I really was beginning to think that this just wouldn't happen !

So last night after looking for months and months I found a Ti Primo axle. These are beyond rocking horse shit. They've not been available for years, and the last ones were sold by FSA. Problem is no one sells them, let alone just the axle. I found a beat up set with an axle in a couple of weeks ago but 150 quid. And I don't need the arms :(

I looked into many other options, but hadn't decided on any. I can get a 19mm 48 spline axle for 70 quid from Source, with no bolts. Time you add those? 100 quid. I do have a very light set of arms (KHE Erlkonig or something) and they are extremely light. Problem is I jammed a Profile axle in one arm and it's in there. I need to get it pressed out and pray they are still OK but I could not depend on that and spending 100 before finding out if it's stuffed was risky.

Then at about 11:30 last night whilst about to fall asleep it happened.... Ran it through Ebay one more time, and you won't believe how this shit went down.  :LolLolLolLol:

So I don't know what possessed me, but I sent an offer. Now you would think my dumb ass would not take that chance, but it was late. Any way, incredibly he got back and sent a counter offer, BOUGHT. 55 quid.

I then realised that in my smashed benzo state (sleeping meds) I had done F-ed up. Not only did I use my mother's credit card (not a problem I have paid it off) but I also sent it to my flat. FUUUUUUG. Got up this morning and messaged the seller, asking if he could send it recorded RM. That way I could take the card and go pick it up when I get home. Pain in the balls though, because yeah I want it here. Any way, to my amazement (I totally didn't realise) it was the same guy I bought the Standard sprocket from  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

He messaged me back asking if I wanted it sent to the same addy as before. Hell yeah  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2023, 03:22 PM »
This came. Gave it a good clean and brushed its teeth. Mint !

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Wow. I really was beginning to think that this just wouldn't happen !

So last night after looking for months and months I found a Ti Primo axle. These are beyond rocking horse shit. They've not been available for years, and the last ones were sold by FSA. Problem is no one sells them, let alone just the axle. I found a beat up set with an axle in a couple of weeks ago but 150 quid. And I don't need the arms :(

I looked into many other options, but hadn't decided on any. I can get a 19mm 48 spline axle for 70 quid from Source, with no bolts. Time you add those? 100 quid. I do have a very light set of arms (KHE Erlkonig or something) and they are extremely light. Problem is I jammed a Profile axle in one arm and it's in there. I need to get it pressed out and pray they are still OK but I could not depend on that and spending 100 before finding out if it's stuffed was risky.

Then at about 11:30 last night whilst about to fall asleep it happened.... Ran it through Ebay one more time, and you won't believe how this shit went down.  :LolLolLolLol:

So I don't know what possessed me, but I sent an offer. Now you would think my dumb ass would not take that chance, but it was late. Any way, incredibly he got back and sent a counter offer, BOUGHT. 55 quid.

I then realised that in my smashed benzo state (sleeping meds) I had done F-ed up. Not only did I use my mother's credit card (not a problem I have paid it off) but I also sent it to my flat. FUUUUUUG. Got up this morning and messaged the seller, asking if he could send it recorded RM. That way I could take the card and go pick it up when I get home. Pain in the balls though, because yeah I want it here. Any way, to my amazement (I totally didn't realise) it was the same guy I bought the Standard sprocket from  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

He messaged me back asking if I wanted it sent to the same addy as before. Hell yeah  :LolLolLolLol:

Some things are just meant to be! Props to the seller too! :daumenhoch:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2023, 01:16 PM »
I'll shout him out as it goes. God he has some nice gear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stevet1_80

And yes, I had a serious argument with myself over that Trail Boss. Not only is is rare, and gorgeous, but its cheap AF too. If I wasn't so busy and so short of space right now (that is being fixed as I type this) he would have been sending me that too !

Just gutted I missed the Standard stem he had a couple of weeks ago.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2023, 01:29 PM »
OK so I made a cock up. I then made myself look stupid by complaining to the seller  :LolLolLolLol:

So I bought M6 bolts. When they arrived though they looked like M5.

This, as I said, is because I am stupid. I thought a stem used M6 bolts. It doesn't, it uses M8. So, I grabbed an M6 nut determined to prove the seller wrong and it fitted. Oops, apologies made. So I did not have any bolts for the crank arms. Meh. So, I did what every one should do in this situation. I bought more.

And also bought another BD Tshirt, some socks, tyre levers (as I snap them a lot) and a red brake cable to make up the upper dual pull. I even sneaked a sprocket bolt in there too.

Feeling a bit depressed I then realised that U brakes use M6 bolts. *evil laugh*. With any luck the lever uses one too. One other thing.. It has been hammered into me to put anti seize grease ALL OVER Ti threads. Apparently it likes to stay put. So I got some of that too.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2023, 02:15 PM »
Final problem now solved. The Kink fork has this.

And it isn't a hollow pott size. It's bigger, much bigger, and a hollow potts falls in. I suspect it is the same as the Pitch Fork I had the issues with on the DBNG. As such I am in no mood to try and ID some archaic imperial bolt. The saving grace is I am not using a front brake, so I got this. It's not Standard, but it looks nice and the blood red matches the stem.

I am going to have to put it in at the bottom and whack away until it butts up against the welded part (under it).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oink oink.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx