gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 07:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&M NBD.  (Read 11346 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
S&M NBD.
« on: October 01, 2022, 04:23 PM »
I was going to just post in "I am working on" but I would clog it due to the ideas going through my head.

I wasn't going to ride a 20 any more. Lots of reasons, but mainly arthritis and being over weight. Any way, since being diagnosed they have given me painkillers. Well, I asked for them. And it has been life changing. They are not like, strong painkillers. Co Dydramol, which is an opioid but not a strong one. It's just enough to take me from "Ouch F no" to "Oh go on then". Whilst away I rode the crap out of my Metal and I had the best time I have had riding in years. Mostly because the only ailment I had after losing two stone was just tiring myself out, without feeling like I wanted to cry due to knee and shoulder pain afterward.

I also took stupid amounts of money on my holiday too. Probably due to my anxiety, but I had the grand old visions of "I am going to fine dine at 100 quid a day every day !" forgetting that I don't like to be out in public places alone  :LolLolLolLol: so as the days went by I found that Tesco's special pizzas with king prawns and etc were more than good enough  :LolLolLolLol:

So then I am like "Find another mid school frame". But I know the only one left is the Kink Rev B, and I will likely never find one. However, having had so much fun riding the Metal I thought balls, let's build the polar opposite. So no brake, 4pc tall bars, freecoaster etc. So that I can basically have the best of both worlds. Looked at quite a few frames but when I found a U.S made S&M for 360 quid I just had to.

I've totally been into red lately on new school rides. Mostly because kids don't want bright red frames. That is probably why it was on sale, but hey their loss and shit.

I already had cranks. Never even rode them, just mounted to my CW which I do not want to ride due to its rarity and it having lots of white on.

I wanted to use them on my Ruben next year, but they won't fit. The Ruben is Spanish, and the biggest BB you can get is 22. These are 24. I thought I could switch them with the cranks on the Kink, but when I got those off I soon realised they were 24s too.

Cheap pedals, a fiver. But I love the design, they look nice and chunky and you can't beat a fiver.

Had this sitting in a packet.

It's 28T. Again, I did not want another 25. Probably mad going brakeless on a faster bike, but I never was one for brains  :LolLolLolLol: Again though it was there, my mate put a lot of time into it and it's really cool.

I got this recently for 20 quid. Super soft, which was weird because the one on the Metal is harder (also BD mid)

I removed this from the Metal last week and replaced with a polished one.

Have had this ages. Not been on a bike in ages either. Never used.

These just need a good scrub in the sink.

But have tons of life left in them. Headset was half price with the frame, so a tenner.

Will order the spacers Toby found at some point also.

Now the bars are going to be these.

And I was going to paint them just  satin black. Note I said I was. It would have been a lot of work, as the spatter is not flat. However I had an idea, after studying the frame. I realised the decals were a rip off of the Sega logo, and the characters on the HT are a rip off of Tails and Knuckles. Proper awesome. So that got my brain working. "Hmm, can I leave the bars as is and do something nutty with the fork?". Yes, yes I can. This is the fork here.

A very, very expensive fork set. They were 170 quid, just like anything else Demo/Volume make. They are however a bit tatty. Perfect physically, but minor scratches and the decals are tatty. So that sent me down another rabbit hole. "Where can I get Demolition decals". Well, you can get them free from Demolition for postage (about 8 bucks) but they are out of stock. Same goes for Volume. So that was out of the window really.

What if, however, I did something mad though?. What about white, with the Sega colours (red yellow and blue)? And then the idea hit me. White fork, with two pin stripes painted in in red and yellow, and then......

In.

And then inside the fork leg....

And then lashings of clear. I already had a brand new can of fire engine red left over from the Kink, and then I spotted Graff City had removed shipping for the weekend. So,

Whilst this will be a lot of work in masking and time it will be a lot less work than having to refinish the bars, and ruin the decal on the bars. It will also be much more fun, which is what I like.

For the wheels I bought this NOS for 35 pound.

It's an oval rim RANT on a sealed RANT female hub. It looks like the old Araya, and is exactly the same as the gorgeous Shadow Orbis I have on the front of my race bike (because Shadow and RANT are one of the same).

For a rear wheel I wanted a FC. Not got one on any bike. Problem is I could not find one in red and a red wheel would have been a Cinema on a regular hub. So I decided to switch it up and go polished.

Cost me 130. The hub alone is 170. BSD Westcoaster. It's used, but in very good condition. For the BB I have a Primo Churchill, and for the chain I got this.

Also to tidy up the wheel I got these for 3.50.

Some decals, not sure if I will use these or not.

Grips.

And that should about do it. I may convert it to brake, but at this time of year no one is around any way. So it may work out OK.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: S&M NBD.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 06:27 PM »
Didn't get up til 2, but it felt much warmer today. Yesterday was horrible. Realised it was indeed much warmer, at 19c, so manually sanded out the fork and put on the etch. The shitty part is now done.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 12:14 PM »
Sorry to junk up your thread, I'll take down if you want.

Here's a few additions to enhance your build  :LolLolLolLol:

Socks, because a man can never have enough socks  fistblump
Carry case, for your puncture kit and tools  fistblump
Valve caps, just to carry on the theme  fistblump

What would you do without me  :whistle: :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:26 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 02:26 PM »
You evil temptress  :LolLolLolLol:

I will deffo be rolling with that theme now tbh. Plenty of colour too :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 03:47 PM »
Right. Executive decision made, I don't want to die  :LolLolLolLol:

Got this. Will probably paint it in red.

Didn't want to go stupid on a brake. I just wanted the one that works the best. I had this on the CW, and it worked amazingly. Then I put on a Evo, and it was a bastard. This brake was designed purely for new school to clear everything and work. Easily the most dialable brake you can get tbh.

And a cable.

I don't think the plate will work at the bottom due to the short back end. So I will need to drill a hole through the bridge at the top, and put it inside. I have a trick to make that look super clean too. Only other issue is the cable stop. I don't want to drill one in, as the last one I did failed with rivets. I spotted this the other day, will work perfectly.

I can't order one until the frame comes tomorrow though, as I need to get the right size. At least it can be removed if I ever want to. Will quite probably paint that red or something too.

I already have a brake lever I pulled from the Metal. SNAFU, really nice one.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 03:51 PM »
Oh and finally... I have this sprocket in the loft.

I thought it was a 25t. Any way, by the time my brain computed it was a 28t I was down and it was shut. I think I am going to use that though. Just simply as it's really nice and it's polished, so will carry the back wheel and brake a little better IMO.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 06:36 PM »
This is going to turn out nice  fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Thanks dude. Just trying to use up the valuable parts, because I hate selling stuff.

Quite fancy a red stem, and could take the Fly off the Pork but I really can't be arsed. It's a pisser because it has a gyro, potts etc.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 10:08 PM »
What about polishing this up, it would break up the frame and bars nicely  fistblump

Good price too 👍🏼
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 10:11 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 11:08 PM »
This has literally just popped up too, ripe for a refinish  fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 11:51 PM »
I have a Jarhead on the T1. Same colour too, and IIRC it was cheaper than that. Edit in - yeah I have seen that  polished one. Very nice, but they are ton weights tbh.

I had decided earlier I was deffo going to get a different stem. But I was swinging between red or yellow or gold. For some reason I just don't like that Haro sprocket. I really can't explain why, but every time I fit it to some cranks it just doesn't do anything for me. Same with the Graveyard one I had made. I really don't know if it is because they are so plain. I did get it down (the Haro) and I have fitted it, but I just don't like it. So I had already decided to replace it and get a stem.

I then spent all day going around finding sprockets and stems but nothing really popped out. I found a S&M X man or something in red, and a S&M Enduro in red, but I already have an Enduro. IIRC the pair was about 150 quid, so a lot. Especially for something I already have. And I didn't want to overdo it on red either.

What I wanted was a Profile stem. But none in red ffs. After spending hours upon hours searching I found a pair. Gold Profile, front loader.

Again, I wanted something different (gold and front loading and profile). The ONLY concession I had to make in the end was this.

In the fact it is a 25t.

However, this turned out to be by far the cheapest combo. Mostly because I added both to my cart on Source for 115 quid, and it then popped up with a 10 pound off voucher. So 105 all in, which was the cheapest combo I have looked at all day.

Obviously being U.S made helped make the decision too.

Just noticed. Apparently Imperial sprockets are 22mm max. I will need to send that to my pal to machine out to 24.

Normally I would be pissed at this news, but I have a pair of these and one needs machining to 14mm, so I will send them both down together.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:56 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 11:55 PM »
Nice, they will pop and hold together on the build. It's a bling ting  fistblump

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:04 AM »
I also took advantage of Sources sale today.
Sano detangler, Sano upper cable and Odyssey G3 lower cable for the Hangover. I wanted the Sano set up from day 1.
Odyssey G3 and slick cable for the Hellcat. Less than 65 notes and free shipping.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 12:44 AM »
Yeah I'm digging prices at the moment tbh. I guess the lockdown crash  has happened now and things are back to normal so they have to make it worth buying stuff.

Biggest score here was the frame though. I noticed about 5 shops hadbit for sale but as soon as I bought it they all went out of stock. even 4 down were selling it. So I guess that's why the delay (coming tomorrow should have been Friday) and a lot of shops selling 4 down stock all do the same thing. I like source though, as their free socks are the shit. Really good quality nicely made socks.

Plus the half price headset was banging too as I needed one.

Funny thing is when I built Manuel some guy on the BMX forum said it would look shit with yellow grips and a red seat, failing to consider that red white and yellow are the S&M colours ffs.

Looks even better now with the red pedals hahahaha.

My Metal is dark, mean etc. I want something bright and happy man

Talking of happy..... Weighed myself earlier. I am now 16 stone. So total weight loss is closing to 3st.

13 was my ideal weight for most of my adult life, bit I'll take 14 if I can get there.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 12:55 AM »
I was happy with my haul but will be getting stickers because I am a cheapskate  :LolLolLolLol:
Congrats on the weight loss, that's impressive. I haven't hit the scales for over a year, not sure I want to either.

Yeah, your build, your rules  Company colours always work,  fistblump

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 11:12 AM »
I don't log on for a few days and what happens??? You decide to ride again AND build another bike!!! LMFAO!!! :2funny:

As always, am looking forward to following the build. :daumenhoch:

Congrats on the weight loss btw. :4_17_5:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 12:35 PM »
It's here  :D

Needs a good clean. There's black bits all over it. Messy factory lol.

Headset and stickers.

And back to waiting for more parts lol.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41 PM »
OK let's talk about my idea for making the brake plate look nice and clean.

I wanted it at the bottom, but with a 25t that will not be possible. So I am going to put it under the rear stays. However, I DO NOT want a ugly frigging nut sticking out the top.

So basically I have one of these.

They are used on race bikes. Sadly it's not a TI one as I bought that because the other one was too short. So what I need to do is drill a 6mm hole through the brake mount on the rear stay, then enlargen that hole (I think it's 8mm, but I will vernier the crap out of it) and  then nothing sticks out. It is threaded, but it has a allen slot inside it. At which point I will need to cut this bolt down here...

Which should leave it looking clean AF, with nothing sticking out.

Obviously I had trouble doing that on my road bike, because I had no access for a drill. However, in this instance the bigger hole needs to be on the top so it will be a piece of piss.

For the cable stop I am going to use one of these.

Which I managed to find yesterday. It was the M4 screws I couldn't bloody find. Hence my needle in a haystack comment. However, I did find a bag of these.

I can't vernier them as the batteries are dead in it ffs. However, I am pretty certain they are M4, just longer. Which I will take. I will drill a hole and tap it later in some plexi or something and test it.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 05:27 PM »
The scary part is done. God I HATE doing these things.

The bridge will be a piece of piss, because I can actually get straight clear access to it.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 09:58 AM »
Frame's looking good mate! Much better than fine dining! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Oh I do enjoy fine dining, but yeah, not a patch on a new bike  :LolLolLolLol:

Nothing has arrived today. PO were on strike on and off, so I would imagine there will be delays.

To be fair I do need to go back home any way. Not been home since I got back from holiday, I just came straight over to mum's where it all gets delivered so I can get it out of the way. Am going home tomorrow, where a few parts are. Namely the tyres that need a good scrub and the brake lever, seat and post. I also have some wiring work to do there fitting network sockets that I promised I would do 4 years ago (to myself) so I can get the hell off of wireless.

So I guess riding it by the end of this week wasn't realistic any way  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Well just as I was about to give up Yodel rocked up  :LolLolLolLol:

Not going to use the bar ends on the grips as I found these.

Don't want to use alloy ones on riders any more. They just get smashed to bits and damage walls you lean them on (like in house walls).

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 11:16 AM »
Yodel?!? I had to look that up because my first thought was this:-

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 03:05 PM »
haha no usually you see the van, go outside and have to yodel up the street whilst they look around confused and just get back in the van and F off.  :LolLolLolLol:

They should call it whistle, as you may as well when it comes to any chance of getting your parcel  :LolLolLolLol:

That said I can understand the frustration. RM are dick bags.

Any way, more completely unnecessary stuff. Firstly I am getting along fine with a 200mm seat post. Mostly thanks to the meds (I can actually get back up off the seat on my Metal now). So I got this.

I also went all spoiled kid and got these. That said they were on sale for 26 quid each, which IMO is cheap. It's a lot less than 40.

To be fair I have wanted a set for ages, and this will be the last modern bike I will ever build. Hence the splurge on posh parts.

This is the lever I will be using. Again, top drawer.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 01:03 PM »
Well I had an idea. Usually ideas get expensive  :LolLolLolLol:

I don't want to have to have the sprocket drilled. It's giving me anxiety. So basically a 19mm set of cranks would be ideal. However, one problem... The only cranks I have that are 19mm are 8 spline. IMO not fitting of a bike of this calibre. So, I was thinking about buying some Profiles. Then I realised I have a set on my STA. Problem is the STA is American BB, and I don't have any cups to fit bearings into to be able to put the Eclat cranks on it. But hang on, yes I do ! the 2hip Root Down I just stripped has those cups in it !

So yeah, I am going to fit the Profiles to the S&M, and put the Eclat on the STA. Just saves drilling out the sprocket and potentially ruining it (because there is a step around the hole that would end up awfully thin). And plus, they are US made Profile, so perfect :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx