gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 11:03 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&M NBD.  (Read 11337 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: S&M NBD.
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2022, 10:14 AM »
Change of plan again. A set of Demolition Medial V3 came up on Ebay. He wanted 40 quid. They are super strong, and 19mm. Tatty, though.

But as tatty as they are I don't see any dents or gouges. After doing some digging it appears they were made in several colours.

White being one. I am pretty sure I have a black Demolition decal from the brakes I bought. Any way, yeah, didn't want to spent 230 quid on the same thing pretty much (Revolt) so I got those. Then did the final order from Source.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2022, 12:11 PM »
A pic of them in white...

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2022, 07:06 PM »
Well I got over a day early. Pretty much everything has arrived. Checked over the Demo cranks and physically they are absolutely perfect. Axle comes out very easy, no dents at all just a small crease in the back of the pedal boss in one side which is miles away from the threads.

Sadly that was where my luck ended. Tried to strip them and nothing happened. So I cracked out the belt file and within about ten seconds my last belt snapped. *sigh*. It's crap like this I wanted to avoid. Lost my rag for a bit, but have ordered (hopefully) stronger better belts that won't fly off after ten seconds.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 10:24 PM »
F me you can tell when you are having one of those days... Loaded up the plotter with the blue vinyl and it chewed it up  :LolLolLolLol:

That said it was crap vinyl, because I could not find the good 3M stuff in blue at a size that would not cost me a oner. So I cut it in the cosmic black (it has glitter in) that the cranks decals were done from. I then sat and sorted through it all. Shit job, but someone has to do it.

Might start tackling the fork tomorrow, but when my mind is in this state everything I touch will turn to shit. We'll see.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 01:51 PM »
Rear wheel needs to be taken apart, cleaned and greased etc. Will get to that soon, not going to rush right now.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2022, 03:20 PM »
Brake conversion is complete.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2022, 08:20 PM »
Well I had a much better day today. In fact, I smashed it. Got the brake conversion finished without a single mark, the Ti shank fitted fantastic and it looks super. I also got my order of really strong belts for the file, and didn't lose a single one taking off all that powder coat. It only took about 5 minutes too. Got down the etch primer and I am really happy with how they are coming along. Will give them a sand tomorrow and put some white base down. The axle and bolts scrubbed up nice too. Deliberating now whether to order Ti bolts tbh...

Any way, got this done earlier. Very happy I did not have these refinished now. Far too nice tbh.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2022, 10:27 PM »
Right, cranks.

Fork.

Hopefully I can get the white base down tomorrow on both.

I also found out why Demolition cranks are so eye wateringly expensive. Because they are brick shit houses. Not only that, but the axle is hollow. Which Profile want over ?100 for. They are also threaded for a removal tool, instead of having to just smash them off YOLO style like Profiles. Which I always absolutely hated. The hardware needs a quick blow over, but again like the arms physically they are all perfect.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2022, 11:59 PM »
Coming along nicely! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2022, 12:39 AM »
Coming along nicely! :daumenhoch:

Thanks. Cranks are not going to be perfect as trying to remove all of the powder would have lost me all of the welds, but they'll still be really nice.

I still have a ?25 can of clear coat. Proper smack button 2k. Don't know if it'll still work but I might try using that. Will give a better finish and be super hard wearing.

Was a bit paranoid about throwing bright coloured stuff on it but tbh that's exactly what I wanted. The Metal is cool and all but a bit too muted and cool. you know? What the 99% would want.

I really miss my Proper sometimes with its wild colour scheme that worked well. Was much happier to ride.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2022, 02:02 PM »

Good enough. 1 footer. Once the clear goes on and I put the helicopter tape down the front sides and decals they'll be more than good enough.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2022, 03:38 PM »

Light wet sand then I can begin masking up for the pin stripes.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Looking good man !
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2022, 08:43 PM »
I loved the fork before but god it looks so good in white.

Bugger me bikes are so bloody boring now.

I had an idea earlier. I've got this "helicopter tape" stuff. Given how severely rubbed the crank arms were I decided to design shapes to cover the outer faces. You'll barely see it and this stuff is as tough as nails. It's a bit of a dick to cut with the plotter but I got there eventually.

Mate shipped out the sonic decals first class, but postal strikes eh. Ungrateful twats they are.

Ah well. I have wet sanding and a F load of masking to do in the meantime.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2022, 05:02 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2022, 03:54 PM »
OK the Sonic decals came today. I must have been rushing when I gave him the dimensions, as they are a lot smaller than I had planned. Totally my fault, because when I'm bad like this my brain just doesn't work properly. So I had to redo the "sega" Demolition logos smaller. Which was an absolute nightmare to weed out. I ruined one, had a brown pants moment where I thought I would not have enough vinyl but thankfully I managed to get two out. TBH this is probably a better way to do it, as it means I can have both Sonic and the Demolition decal in line.

The fork is now outside hardening, the clear went down about an hour ago. Just went out to put a fourth wet coat onto the face of the crank arms (the bit that gets all the wear) and the fork looks lovely. So that is a relief. Will get some pics later when I bring it all in.

All I have left to do now is mask off the fork once it has dried and paint the steerer. My life is a lot harder now that mum had fake grass put down. I can't go anywhere near it with paint or ETC, as it wouldn't grow out.

The seat post I ordered is taking forever. I remember I ordered something from there before and apparently they don't hold the stock. So it is saying 28-30 October FFS. I would cancel but I am 10 days in now. Problem is without a seat on the bike I can't really build it. My stand was sacrificed long ago for painting on, and I don't have a spare pivotal post here. So, I just grabbed a close out seat/[post combo.

It was 13 quid delivered. I don't see myself keeping it on there, but it will do for now. At the worst I will have to bring over the 300mm Blank Pivotal post I have and paint it gold. But I am hopeful the KHE one will arrive.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2022, 04:40 PM »
Cranks.

Fork.

Just need to paint the steerer red tomorrow. And blow over the hardware.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2022, 08:52 PM »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2022, 10:21 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love your builds!! I take so long to do anything, procrastinating over this, that and the other but you just get on with things. It's inspiring!! :bow:

Forks and cranks came out amazing btw! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2022, 02:34 PM »
Thanks dude. The cranks are far from perfect. The worst part is around the bottom of the pedal bosses. Had I continued on I would have ground off the welds. The weather just isn't at a stage where I would want to sit out on the back step for hours now. Plus the left side arm has a dent in the pedal boss at the back. Which is absolutely fine, as the pedal thread is 1/2" away and the pedal stops before that. I could have cut it off and it would have been fine, but again it's all time. Time I don't want to dedicate right now because it's getting cold and I am fighting the weather continually.

They're very clean. And they have paint on. I also fitted helicopter tape down the faces so the paint won't wear off. So yeah, they'll do. It's not a show bike and was never supposed to be.

Just finishing my coffee now (late start but at least I am sleeping now) and then I am going to jump in the loft and grab the new bolts etc. Then at some point today I will mask the fork and blow the steerer tube over red in case you can see it through the stem. Weather doesn't matter on that as I can literally walk it straight in the house and set it down in here to dry.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2022, 03:44 PM »
Steerer tube is now red and drying. Had a little fun....

Absolutely gorgeous. Those pedals are the best fiver I have ever spent. The ones in the pic were solid red, but these are trans, which just pops even more.

I am now finally reaching the part of this that I enjoy.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2022, 12:00 AM »
Well that escalated quickly  :LolLolLolLol:

Decided to have a wrench. I then realised that I had put the cable stop a bit too close to the seat tube.. Uh oh..... After moving the brake plate away from it (it was in the as close as possible position) and a lot of tinkering.. Well it still didn't work  :LolLolLolLol:

It was at this point I realised I could take the stop off, thread the other hole and flip it around. At this point it was perfect. Phew. The pads literally just make the rim, and this wasn't helped by the fact I didn't buy a half link chain. But, it all works lovely, and well, it works.

So I built out the rest, but wasn't happy with the freecoaster. It felt gritty and wasn't engaging all that well. So, I took it all apart, cleaned it up, smothered the internals in fresh grease and rebuilt it. It too is now much better. The larger bearing is gritty, though, so I will probably replace it as it is annoying. Like, I am enjoying the silence as the song once said. And I can hear it.

There are a couple of things I need to do. Obviously I need a seat on it, which is bloody aggravating (I fooking hate drop shippers  :angrysoapbox: ) and it needs a split crown race. The fork is tapered, and the one I got with the headset doesn't fit. So right now that is just a bit cobbled together.

Obviously totally crap night time pics.

The bar pad is going too. I just threw it on there. Kinda sucks that pickings are so bad right now, as TBH that wheel shall be going too (the rear. Polished does not suit it at all, and a front polished wheel wouldn't do it justice). But like I said, right now there is hardly anything around. I would also love a gold brake, but one doesn't exist with that sort of clearance and reach. That however is fixable, if I can find the right spray paint. Might change the brake cable outer for a white one, too. I think I have some....

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2022, 12:10 AM »
Argh bollocks. I knew I had a good idea for that rear wheel !

If those holes go all the way through it needs shiny red ribbon like the Pro Class. Will look a lot better then. Will take it back off tomorrow and have a prod.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Right. I looked at the wheel earlier. The holes don't go through. There is another wall under there.

It's rock and hard place really. I buy a red or gold wheel, the brake destroys it. So I think I am going to leave it be. If a nice polished front wheel comes along I might get one, but doubt it.

In other news the seat and post combo shipped today. Apparently so did the fooking gold one  :LolLolLolLol:

That said I am not complaining. It intrigues me how steep the front end is on this, how short the rear end is and how lovely and tall the bars stand. Can't wait to give her a good rip.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2022, 08:19 PM »
Well I suppose in future if something is taking forever to arrive just order something else. Sure enough the fooker will turn up first !  :LolLolLolLol:

Was almost worth the wait.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx