gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 05:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old School Mystery Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old School Mystery Build  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Old School Mystery Build
« on: November 05, 2023, 12:27 AM »
This is not quite a build thread, although the bike is not finished yet. There will be a few updates and maybe some pictures. one member might know what I'm building because I reached out to him for help to id the frame set. It was Paul aka Monkian, so you can probably guess that it's a Japanese bike. Here's the progress so far.

Complete bike purchased in January on eBay. The seller does house clearances, this is the second bike I've bought from him.

Collected the bike in Croydon on the next Sunday.

Stripped the bike down and cleaned everything that I was going to use on the bike the best I could. Most parts I would say were original. The parts that were not original were good quality but not quite right for the bike, so they will be replaced with decent era corrects parts.

The saddle had some paint splashes on it, so cleaned that off with some paint stripper before washing it.

Binned the nasty modern toffee coloured tyres and trick nuts the bike came with.

Cleaned and lightly polished the chrome frame, forks and bars.

Ordered decals for the frame set and bars from the main man Del. As usual Dels turnaround time was rapid. Fitted the decals then carefully stored in garage until last Thursday.

A few months ago I spotted a cheapish Takagi 44t chainring on eBay that had been sprayed green. The original black finish was showing in places so I took a chance and bought it. When it arrived it was actually a 43t but I stripped it anyway. It turned out to be in OK rider condition, perfect. It was stored with the other parts.

Around the same time I stripped down the pedals, cleaned, greased and reassembled them. They were stored with the other parts also.

On Thursday evening I partly dismantled my stalled lugged Apollo build, grabbed the frame and gave it a wipe over and sat the Apollo in its place.

Yesterday evening after dinner and shopping, I got the parts box out and had a think about what's being used.

This afternoon the headset was greased and the forks fitted. A quick rummage for a lovely stem which was greased and slipped into place. Next the bottom bracket cups were pressed into place. I gave the bearings and cages another clean as they were still a bit cruddy and sticky. Raked the bars out and fitted those. Chainring, spider and crank assembled ready for later. I don't have a bike stand so the wheels have to go on next. I'm not using the black skyways that came on the bike so I grabbed the chosen set off of the wall, rummaged for the tyres I think will work, fitted those then put them on the bike. Pre greased all bottom bracket parts and fitted the crank set. Stood back and yeah, looking good. The seat clamp was already on the frame so I tried to fit a lovely seat post perfect for the bike, no joy, it's too big, I'll have to see what size it is when my vernier gauge arrives. Gutted. So the original post was fitted but it's a lay back and has deep rings scored around it from previous use, it was used very low and slammed in the past. It's quite long so it might get cut down to hide scars and lose the lay back section. The seat was popped on and that was enough for today.

I have to decide on the brake set up and which chain to use, the original is nice but needs a bit of work.

More to follow soon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 03:35 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Old School Mystery Build
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 03:42 PM »

Here's a few teaser pics from the original listing  :daumenhoch:

IMG-3298" border="0
IMG-3299" border="0
IMG-3301" border="0
IMG-3302" border="0

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 06:09 PM »
The seat post was cut down this evening. It was the right decision, the bike looks better with a straight post. The worst damage was lost with the off cut and hidden under the seat guts. After a little filing it was good to go.
:daumenhoch:

IMG-0709" border="0
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 06:20 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 01:06 PM »
A mystery Japanese frame/bike you say! You know I'm in for this!! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 04:11 PM »
I have 2 Panaracer inner tubes to use on this build. One is already being used on the rear wheel. From memory there was an issue with the other, it deflates but it has no puncture. I dug it out today and inflated it and double checked for air bubbles in water, nothing, there's no puncture. So I thought it must be the valve. Had a look and I discovered the core was loose. So I tightened it with 2 micro screwdrivers the best I could.
After a quick eBay search I found a few tools for the job. I went for a Schrader only tool with 6 spare cores included, so if the original needs replacing I've got the one ready to go.

IMG-0725" border="0

IMG-0724" border="0

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 04:23 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 05:16 PM »
I remember having that tool to fix/fit the skinny tubes on my drop handlebar bitd  :daumenhoch:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 09:36 PM »
I remember having that tool to fix/fit the skinny tubes on my drop handlebar bitd  :daumenhoch:

I've never needed one until now, I knew there was a tool though  fistblump

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old School Mystery Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx