gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 09:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.
« on: December 29, 2023, 04:44 PM »
This one will go home with me and live with the Metal and eventually the S&M NBD and Trail Boss. Will it get ridden? never say never.

I bought a Fit Mixtape V3 in the sale for 199.

Good thing with Fits and most S&M is that they are pretty much all the same. As such I decided to do a Van Homan bike.

So full set of decals ordered for a tenner.

I then bought a fork. I don't have any modern fork sets left and I did not want to restore a single sodding part on this. I want it all new* (lmao sorta !).

Seat.

Need to get a post. Will sort that as soon as I am done typing this.

Set of Jet Generate wheels. Again, no point in buying the best just for it to sit there.

Animal bars.

SS stem. I know Stephen has fallen out with them but it was 20 quid. I may replace it in time with something better, but as I said I have very little left now in leftover spares as I had used most of them up.

I bought this 25t sprocket. Made by Chain Reaction cycles apparently. Looks the part, cost 6 pounds  :LolLolLolLol:

I may use my home made Graveyard yet, IDK.

Cult crew cranks, 19mm. I knew I would probably have a BB (I was correct) and I did not want the extra expense. Again, old man, ain't gonna break anything.

I then somewhat ran close to spending all my spending cash. Not a problem, but yeah wanted to have a dig before spending any more. I was 100% that I did not have any of the above. Like, no cranks, no modern wheels and etc. Dig paid off.

Two brand new tubes for fat tyres.

A new Springer (has scratches though somehow) set of ghost pads and a ODY 1999 lever that came with a brake I bought. More than good enough, though I do have a mint polished springy too.

I sorta thought I had a headset. I remember buying a Sunday one cheap for the Trail Boss, but it wasn't integrated. Problem was it was all lost in bits. However, I managed to find it all and piece it back together.

I also found a mid 19mm bb complete. It is red, oven cleaner on the end caps.

Now what I knew I did not have were pedals. However, seems I forgot all about these.

I bought those effin years ago and converted them both to right thread (for the Root Down). Thankfully I have a tub full of L&R pedal axles, so putting them back was easy. They are brand new. Touch.

For tyres I have a set of Traction Advantage (the good, expensive, 110 PSI ones). These are at my flat and were removed from the Metal last year as they do not grip in damp or wet.

They have been cleaned, as my flat is pristine.

Right, off to buy a seat post.......

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 06:09 PM »
* the tyres are obviously ridden but very gently. So they are pristine. I don't mind using them at all, they are just rubber.

I guess what I meant was I wanted, for once, to be able to just pull parts out and do a build without hours to days or weeks effing around restoring things.

That is why I bought this for 9 quid. No point paying well over double, as it is a ten minute job to sand it back a bit and put some black paint on for essentially the same thing.

I think I need a chain, not sure yet. Will see if there is anything down in my tool box before I buy that, and besides I certainly don't need it yet.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:29 AM »
Another Midschoolfool build!?! :shocked:

I'm in!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 04:48 PM »
Well I had a think about it and to be frank last summer was like, total shit. The weather, like. It was sporadic at best, and at no point was I sitting there with the sun in my eyes thinking "Man I wanna ride so bad !".

Hilariously the best week was at the end of September, which was when I went on holiday. I would say typical, but it usually isn't  :LolLolLolLol:

But yeah, lots of work been going on behind the scenes at both my flat and here at mum's so that I can store bikes. This helped a lot too.

Out of sight... Until spring like.

As you can see though, there is a curtain rail and the last piece of my old double bed there. Shoulder is so bad now I can't make a double bed, so I got a single etc. Meaning space, and tons of it. The new school bikes will go in the bedroom.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 10:23 PM »
I knew I had forgotten something ! turns out it was the chain. Quite important those  :LolLolLolLol:

Funny thing is it is stamped YBN. Wasn't expensive. In fact, that and this.

Cost me a score. Think I am deffo going to go with the polished Springfield.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 10:27 PM »
bigger pics needed  :)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 01:52 PM »
lol. The forum broke at some point, and instead of down sizing images it doesn't.

As such I have to either sit and do it all manually or just post them. It's hard with pics I did not shoot, as they appear perfectly normal size on my screen.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 02:12 PM »
Oh yeah, a quick update. IBS flare up has had me in bed for two days ffs.

The wheels, cranks and stem arrived. I was pleasantly surprised that the cranks look nothing like the basic ones in the pic. Hard to explain. When I find some time I will get actual pics of the actual parts. In the midst of sitting on the toilet pondering the meaning of life I have been taking down the Christmas tree and all of that other shit you do at this time of year.

I tell you what I did find out though. And it blew my friggin mind.

Van Homan is from a tiny, weeny little town in New Jersey called Pennsville. I got goose bumps upon discovering this info. Mostly because I used to live about four miles away, and spent a lot of time there. It is the same tiny little town that a certain Bruce Willis lived in too, and we used to see him on Friday nights going to get his cheese steak at a local diner. It sits right across the Delaware river from Phila. You can see Phila in all its glory at a certain riverside restaurant, which I might have spent my honeymoon at and then at a Marriot hotel in Pennsville.

It's like I said when doing the Four. We don't buy bikes, they find us.

Talking of finding us.  :LolLolLolLol: this will be finding its way to me. Good ole clearance, 20 quid delivered the lot on CR.

How to make shit wheels look better  :LolLolLolLol:

And finally.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 02:48 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 05:35 PM »
Sprocket arrived with Hermes earlier.

Yeah, no idea where they got that stock cranks image from but it ain't those. Lovely they are.

Stem, only I am not using it. Managed to find a front loading Xposure Infinity stem the other day. Only issue being it has red bolts, so I will swap them over.

And rear wheel. Front one is here, just no point getting a pic of it.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 03:27 PM »
BB is done.

Not perfect, but the bits left won't be visible any way.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 06:11 PM »
Well bollocks. Sorta kinda.

Remember the image of the Cult Crew cranks? this one?

Well they ain't those.  :LolLolLolLol:

The messed up part is that even the sticker on the box says "Cult Crew Cranks 19mm". Only like I said, they ain't  :LolLolLolLol:

After some research it seems that someone in the Taiwan factory may have accidentally put 22mm Cult Hawk cranks in the wrong box. The good part of that is? they cost more. A lot more.

The bad side? well my BB I stripped is utterly useless.

So I may have just scored this via the bay for 24 notes.

I'll take that.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 11:46 AM »
Great updates! Love me a good Midschoolfool build thread!! The interesting thing is now that I've seen your YT vids, I can imagine your voice when I'm reading your words on here!! ;D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 02:26 PM »
haha that's funny. I am one of those who hates the sound of my own voice  :LolLolLolLol: Took me a long time to be able to get comfy with recording and listening back to it.

The frame and all of that came earlier. Nice thing is like S&M Fit don't put the stickers on. That means I don't need to remove them, or ruin them. I can keep those to one side.

Will cut off the bottom of the VH sticker that says "Made in USA" though.

The seat post also came, so that was super. Will work on that tomorrow.

Photos later most probably. Got a few things to do today before hand.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 03:45 PM »
Oh man, F yeah !

About the hardest frame decal I have ever had to fit.

This thing has detail everywhere.

Sadly they are tossers, and don't include the brake mounts. I also need to buy a 22mm top hat washer, as Profile are too squeaky to include one. Ah well, no rush.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 04:06 PM »

Right, now it can F off  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 03:51 PM »
Bah. Found this very cheap.

Decided to go for it. By cheap I mean 35 quid. Has plenty of blue in and will look rather nice I reckon.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 09:17 PM »
Brake is an Eclat Unit apparently. I hope it's easy to set up.. Not had much luck with brakes lately.

BTW I am not using the stem. IDK if I mentioned it, but the other day whilst messing around up in the loft I found a set of bars with a stem on. It's one of these.

Xposure Infinity. Sadly it has red bolts, but I will swap out the ones from the SS stem. I'm not a huge fan of top loaders so yeah, it's perfect. Will weigh a lot less, look a lot better and is what I prefer.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 02:30 PM »
Bloody hell Volume are crufty bastuds !

So my cheap post ( 9 pounds) was sitting there all tatty and scratched. I thought for a moment about just buying a new one. So I had a look at Volume's offering.

Before I continue note this part.

I then look at mine, and then restore mine.

So basically? it's identical. Like, literally exactly the same post Salt sold. And so.

Will fire up the plotter in a bit and cut that out of 3m white. Crafty sods !  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 03:00 PM »

Sorted.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 03:50 PM »
OK, finally the postal service stopped lying and actually showed up.

And I bought some pedals... Basically I wanted Hope pedals in blue, but very spendy. Like, 140 smackers spendy. I then eyed up some Animal ones (metal) for 50, and some Demolition for 80 or so.

I then ordered none of those  :LolLolLolLol:

Went on Amazon and searched and these showed up. Hope clones, but the look I wanted, discount code 32 quid. Sealed too.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 05:05 PM »
Blimey. It was only after looking back at the Hope pedals that I clocked just how these are a total rip off  :LolLolLolLol:

I'm going to call them no hope pedals. Far more BMX  :LolLolLolLol: Might have to get some decals made hahahaha. I do like me a good piss take  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 01:59 PM »
Up all night throwing up. Ahh life.

I did find this.

If I can get the logo off I will make something like this  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2024, 06:56 PM »
OK so this was done yesterday.

As was this.

Pedals came earlier. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Have cleaned the left one already, will do the right when I come to fitting.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 09:15 PM »
Decided to buy different tyres. The Fit are great, but totally dangerous in the wet. I don't want the bike swapping ends on me. And yeah, I think this one will become the one I ride. The S&M turned out too nice, and besides one ride and it will look shit. So I am going to clean up the Metal and turn it back into the collector's item it always was. I wanted higher bars on that, but nothing suit it better than the ones on there (they are only 8.5, though). Besides all of that the T/A are only 2.2s. And if I am going to ride a modern bike I want big F off tyres. I mean why not?

So I got a pair of these on sale. Worked out at 17 quid each, 2.45.

Wanted something else to tie into the seat. What I wanted was brown, but I don't like Ruben tyres (and I hate BSD Donnasqueak). Ruben tyres are rough and extremely noisy. So these should fit the bill perfectly.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2024, 03:04 PM »
Forgot to say. The reason I cleaned the left pedal is because I was trying to remove the logo so I could make my own. Unfortunately it is on there, and I didn't want to get rough and chance effing them up beyond repair. So I left that alone.

The brake came today (gorgeous) and so did the annoying parts I needed (brake post mounts, cable stop kit and sprocket top hat) so I will get some pics of that shortly.

I made the final order about 5 mins back. This.

I want something to tie the BB into the build. I didn't want to spend loads of cash on a new headset so I grabbed that for 9.99 delivered. The Sunday I have is not conical and has hardly any spacers and I AM NOT cutting that fork. Sod that.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx