gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 04:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2024, 04:07 PM »
Brake has arriveth.

And I already don't like the hanger. It's similar to the one on the Kink desist brake, and I HATE that. So I am going to use a Demolition one I found. Talking of brakes.

They won't work without that shit. Nor will the cranks  :LolLolLolLol:

Tyres just shipped out with Fedex, so I should get those tomorrow.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2024, 05:52 PM »
Meh what a dick.

I got the top hat out, and went to assemble the drive side of the cranks. I then noticed a big problem....

That is the installer tool. It should thread into the axle to pull the arms on, yet doesn't touch the sides  :LolLolLolLol: And, even worse (because there is more than one way to press arms on) nor do the sodding bolts.

So it would seem I have a bastud set of cranks. 22mm arms and spindle, 19mm hardware. FOOK. Went off to look for crank bolts and you will never guess? I can't find any  :LolLolLolLol:

What I did find though, are M15 crank bolts for ISIS cranks. And they thread in perfectly. Problem is? the end caps are 19mm, so they won't hold on shit. FFS.

I then spent ages and ages looking, and stumbled across these for 12 quid for two.

As long as they thread in, M15 (and it is) they will work fine.

They won't sit inside the arm, and will be proud by 1mm or so. Absolutely fine, and I measured the arm to make sure the outer 28mm lip is not too big and it isn't.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:37 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2024, 01:37 PM »
Now I suppose you are thinking "Why not just send the cranks back?".

This is why  :LolLolLolLol:

I put the sprocket on, pulled the axle onto the right side and fitted the pedal and about came in my pants. It's seriously  explosion

So yeah, a minor headache that can be sorted (he says, full of hope  :LolLolLolLol: )

The BB arrived today, so I will press the bearings in later. I also had trouble with the Jet brake mount kit. One of the posts was not letting the bolt slide through. As such I had to take a small round file and spend ages filing. But it's done, will get those on the frame later too.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2024, 02:56 PM »
Well fook me. I thought the bolts would take weeks, given the seller was in China.

After A LOT of installing and removing and having to change spacers many times it only worked  :LolLolLolLol:

The only change I had to make was removing the large spacer, as these bolts are not long enough. TBH? with it how it is now everything is all the way in. A much better, stronger setup.

Noting the huge one. I was a bit disappointed but hey, still looks Profile with the smaller one. And then it dawned on me. Gutted at the prospect of not using all of the most expensive BB I have ever bought I remembered the Pork.

It will fill nearly all of that mess  :LolLolLolLol:

Two Profile BBs for the price of one*

Picture sorted for the sake of everyone's sanity lmao.
*cause lets face it, the rest is just bearings and a sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:27 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2024, 06:03 PM »
I now have the answer to a very long thought question.

"How much jet fuel is enough?"

About exactly that much.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2024, 12:41 AM »
That "jet fuel/oil slick" question is one I often ask myself. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really like the finish, so long as it's not over done. I have chainring bolts and valve caps on my GT and have recently been tempted by some pedals but we'll see.

Anyway, back to yours and the answer to your question. I think you nailed it! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2024, 01:24 PM »
Looking good man!
I asked myself the same question when I built my Blank Grizzly, I stopped at the stem, sprocket and rear brake.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2024, 02:46 PM »
The first time I used jet fuel was like, years ago. At the time it was brand new, and parts finished with it cost a sodding fortune.

This stem for example? I paid about 80 quid, but the RRP was 150 or something absolutely daft like that.

That was my rider in 2017. Rode it for over a year.

I then crashed it bad in the snake bowl at Southsea, and realised I was too old to be riding bowls and shit  :LolLolLolLol:

I didn't like it though. Mostly the tyres. It's the same reason I hate BSD Donnasqueaks. Extremely heavy (like beyond heavy) and so hard they don't grip shit which is why I crashed. Crap, basically. At least with Primo you know they won't be boat anchors and are way softer. Like the V monster HD? fantastic. Rode them all last year and at no point felt dangerous or unsafe.

Talking of which. The tyres and valve caps I bought arrived yesterday. Will shoot some pics of them later. Gorgeous they are ! darker than the pic too which is brilliant.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2024, 03:18 PM »
OK so tyres. Like I said, thankfully much darker. Almost to the point that they will match dirt.

And my one regret......

In 2020 I bought a Mirra tribute. It was super heavy, and not really my thing. So I stripped it, kept the good bits (wheels, on my Kizz) and the sprocket and sold the rest. Well I knew I had the sprocket somewhere, but after an extensive search nothing showed. So I figured I might have sent it to a mate in Canada when I sent him some parts you just can't get there.

FFS :(

Problem is? I have had my fill of pissing around with the cranks. Due to having the wrong tool they are a sod to get off and a bigger sod to get back on. Oh well. Might put it on my Metal at some point (tis 25 currently). We'll see.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2024, 03:33 PM »
Also. I found the last of the things I wanted last night. Lovely demolition brake hanger, Shadow cable tie strap thing for the brake cable and etc. Lots of smalls.

The hanger on the Eclat looks like this.

Looks cool huh? not. It has the same issue my Kink Desist has. IE, when designing expensive brakes some dick head decides to over engineer it to the point it is not mechanic friendly. From the pic it is hard to understand, but instead of that locking into the pulling cable it does not. You thread the cable through, and then you get this metal block that you need to fit also. By simple mathematics? you would need 4 hands to install it and get it right. One to pull the calipers in, one to pull the cable and then two to hold said metal block with a spanner and another to do up the allen grub screw.

It's shite, basically. That is why the Desist on my Kink doesn't work well at all. Yet their cheap Mission Cease? is a thousand times better to set up and actually use. Thankfully they didn't go all the way like Kink to the point where you can not make your own straddle and use any hanger you like, so I will be using the Demolition one. And will make my own straddle.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2024, 05:00 PM »
Quick mock up. Wanted to make sure the brake would work with the fat ass tyre.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 05:11 PM »
Seat on.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2024, 01:39 PM »

Took a while. Turns out the Eastern distro is in Ireland.

I assembled the front wheel last night (tyre, tube etc) and put it on the fork. Off home tomorrow, but when I come back I will finish the build and take it out. My birthday next weekend, so yeah will be nice to piss around outside lol.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2024, 02:13 PM »
Reet, decided to treat myself. It's not a part that will get ruined so yeah.

I was looking for a gold stem. I need something to tie in the front end. The only one I really liked was an Animal one, and yeah double the price of what I got. Plus tbh? the bolt upgrade has made this stem cost far less. It was 49.99. TLC no longer with us either, so will be a nice keepsake.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2024, 04:44 PM »
Like a fine piece of jewlery. Shame they went out of business :(

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2024, 05:46 AM »
That's a nice piece of bling!! Looks better in your pic too! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2024, 01:01 PM »
That's a nice piece of bling!! Looks better in your pic too! :coolsmiley:

It all does tbh.

They put things under lights and they always look totally different to reality.

Same with the grips and tyres. Totally different colours (for the better).

Been so busy doing birthday things but the stem is fitted now. Hopefully mid week the two halves shall meet lol.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2024, 01:53 PM »
Time all gone. Between the loft and having a cold this is going to have to wait sadly. Still, nothing good was ever rushed, so.

New stem is fitted.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2024, 06:09 PM »
OK I know it ain't much but I got the chain done.

I've either been doing building work in the loft or it has been freezing cold.

That's the ballbag jobs done now tbh. Getting the cranks mounted was about as much fun as peeling my bellend with a rusty potato peeler and I HATE CHAINS.

So the next time I get it out and break out the wrenches it should be going outside within moments.

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2024, 10:16 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2024, 10:35 PM »
Me either mate, me either  :LolLolLolLol:

If it would just stop friggin raining. I need to shift one, but all it has done is rain.

Roll on summer. Because Spring has been crap  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fit Mixtape V3 build and etc.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx