gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 03:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Helmets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 3057 times)

muttley

Helmets
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Now then,

I have been using full face for the last couple of years for racing and at the park, i have been totally against the whole piss pot thing due to fact i like my teeth.

But what i have been finding, now i am riding ramps more, is that thay can restrict visiblity some what, i found this out on the volcano at Charlton and wiped out due to not being able to see down properly.

So whats the deal folks? What are you using and why? Any recommendations?

PS did anyone read the paper yesterday? 13 year old killed doing a bunny hop off a kerb landed on his head after taking his helmet off and giving it to his brother  :-\

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Ross, I dont like piss pots either. Always wear my fullface. I have a 661 and find the field of view okay.
Would rather not wear it, but i slammed hard at Rom a few sundays back hit both hands and my chin on the floor at the same time. Chin is fine, hand is broken. If i had been wearing a piss pot, broken jaw or a few teeth missing.

I love my full face lid.  :smitten:

If it's good enough for Mirra....

zed4130

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 03:59 PM »
my missis is allway's on at me for not wearing my helmet like she says ive got a cuboard full of them  :-[ although she went out today and i popped down the trails' see if you notice anything missing  :-[

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Looks like you've lost a tooth :(

zed4130

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Looks like you've lost a tooth :(
:2funny: yeah 7 of them 'i dont put them in when on my bike in case i crash  :shocked:  :2funny:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:35 PM »
That's a good enough reason to wear a full face lid surely!

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 05:42 PM »
yep 7 broken 4 on my bike 3 punched out  :crazy2: my crazy younger days  :2funny:

rom_kid_04

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 05:44 PM »
i have a moto7, i dont find that it blocks my vision at all ... had a slam a while ago at rom hit the front of me face no harm done not even a bruise but would have knocked a few teeth out if i didnt have a full faceon

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 06:14 PM »
i know two bob rob will prob disagree with me here, for his own reasons, but i would recomend to anybody wear a full face lid, take it from me, having lower and upper jaws, cheek bones, eye sockets, nose skull and upper pallette broke isnt nice......

ffs, if youve been wearing a lid for two yrs and have suffered it then why go to a piss pot now.

no lid lead to this

haro, how do you do

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Nope.  No disagreement from me   ;)   I too would reccommend everyone wear a fullface. Especially after your little 'incident'.....

I still think you're the worlds tough hardest bloke, by the way   :4_17_5:

With me though, it is a case of 'do as i say, not as i do'.  i do pick and choose when i wear a lid, always have, always will.

Mutt,  I would say change your lid for a very expensive top line MX lid. The field of vision is excellent and they are safe as fook.  Gotta love them Bell Moto 7s   :)   or alternatively an Arai VX Pro; lovely bit of kit.

Don't bother with a pisspot lid unless you're fashion driven or really want to ride with no lid at all but can't quite bring yourself to do it.  Its a real false sense of security with them things.

Flaz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35 PM »
i got a new full face at xmas went to rom, first time round the mougals nearly stacked it due to lack of vision, then i took the visor off and since then its good as gold

ross have you got the visor on? if so try taking it off  when you look downwards the visor deffo restricts your veiw

muttley

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Thanks gents, much appreciated.

I was 99% sure i just needed a better full face really, its not so much the visor blocking vision but i find if i need to look down IE approaching the volcano i dont get a good view.

Thanks for the reccomendations (and the model numbers Rob) will have a shop about  :4_17_5:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 07:34 PM »
i get the p*ss taken out of me racing downhill MTB 'cos i've removed the peak,but at least i can see what's in front of me so fcuk 'emhttp://

priv

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 07:36 PM »
dont forget this junior radster last year

A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 07:36 PM »
this is the new one from troy lee,a cross between a p*sspot and a 70s bell

http://http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9130

priv

zed4130

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 07:39 PM »
i like that priv abit mid school looking  :daumenhoch:

Flaz

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 07:59 PM »

priv

looks pukka   but i aint gonna stop you getting a toothless grin  when your chewing on a bar end

ross try taking the visor off   just give it a go you'll be shocked the difference it makes

muttley

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Will pop the visor off for next week  ;)

bmxmike

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 08:31 PM »
can anyone help me?
want a full face for rom on sunday.   :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 11:43 PM »

priv

Steve Peat (Downhiller) was using the open face D2 now & then as a proto , as per usual be confident in your riding before going open face .

Dave , FFS ! I think it's the first time I've seen that pic . Heard about the injuries but Holy Fook !  :crazy2:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 11:49 PM »
I have knocked myself out over 10 times, now have no temperature control (apparently its the front of the brain that controls this) and have snapped the front off a Bell Moto 5  :wtf:
wear a full face lid, your life depends on it  :buck2:
 :) DINGO  :)

LXIX

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 11:54 PM »
WEAR A  full face  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 07:03 PM »
can anyone help me?
want a full face for rom on sunday.   :daumenhoch:

I've got an old Arai MX lid in a size 58 (medium).  Not clean, and a little bit stinky.......  but you are welcome to borrow.  I'll chuck it in the van. I don't think we know each other do we?  Keep an eye out for a fat old bald bloke riding the moguls   :-[

Oh,  10-2 session I presume?  Lets hope so, I won't be there int' afternoon  :)

Flying_fox

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 07:09 PM »
If I wear a lid it's my Troy Lee MX one, can't see the point in potties. I do ride without a lid sometimes, but if I think things are starting to get to the point where I need to wear one the full face goes on. I would never come out of a startgate without a lid on, I've hit the gate and flipped so many times now..... The only fault I have with my FF is the weight, when your riding trails or having a jump session down the track, it does make my neck ache after a while, but at least in the winter it keeps my ears warm.

I want an Echo open face for trails, if anyone has an XL one for slae please let me know. :daumenhoch:

bmxmike

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 07:29 PM »
you know me rob, used to ride kingston with you a bit! 
thats great about the lid, im feeling a bit fragile! must be the age.  i sold my fullface cos i didnt think id ride again.   :uglystupid2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Helmets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx