gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 04:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  new school kids
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new school kids  (Read 10605 times)

bmxer4ever

Re: new school kids
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00 PM »
here's a bit of new school flow....

/>

Wow....that just messed with my mind......

Bunnyhop whip UP 5 stairs?

Then 180 UP 8 stairs???

What?!

Brilliant.

Old school?New school?
Who cares? Just as long as it makes me go 'wow' every now and again......

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Old school?New school?
Who cares? Just as long as it makes me go 'wow' every now and again......

I like that.  Pretty much sums it up     :daumenhoch:

Lazarou

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 10:51 PM »
I'm old.

Rode from 1980 until 2005 on a 20" Most days and have seen it all.

..ever since i'll tool about on my cruiser.

..don't know who Chase D is.

..Like watching any type of riding, appreciate all skill levels and riders.

..will say just one thing....

..these kids have skill but no soul, I can't really define it but it goes beyond how you look or ride and also beyond how you see BMX, these kids might eat and sleep BMX but there is something missing when I watch any of them ride. I've experienced it and it transcends trickery and style and is something that I find very hard to explain.

..I'm not even going to try. I only know that I class myself as a soul rider, this doesn't mean i'm any better than anyone else, i've just been there man!

..does anyone understand what i'm trying to say? I'm as erudite as the next man but what I'm trying to put across is so hard to put into words. I'll go and take my pills.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17 PM »
I'm with ya buddy.

I don't know if I agree completely, but I see where you're coming from.  I suspect its got something to do with the popularity of it all these days. Priorities have moved for some people now.....

Lazarou

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57 PM »
...it's WAY deeper than that Bobbo! When I get the right words in the right order i'll try to explain.  :crazy2:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 12:02 AM »
Motives?

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09 AM »
i get ya buddy! fookin hard to describe it, to feel the bike as part of you whether your on it or not, not to look cool, or for people to see, just a feeling inside of belonging to each other to a point where its alive

i've been trying to get my head round what i mean by all this style and flow, i've searched youtube for the last half hour to try and find some mid school footage to show what i'm trying to say! maybe its not style and flow. i appreciate what the newschool can do. its bloody hard, i just don't like how it looks! for me the 'grace' has been lost. i think its too busy in a run, i don't like seeing jerky movement, last minute tables at the peak of arc, 300 mph tailwhips, rotations in everyway possible, just doesn't do it for me, i like to see graceful riding and thats what i mean by flow, just nice airs, smooth tables where it starts when you leave the jump and ends when you land.

i wanted footage of groundchuck or wing ding but couldn't find anything, but joe rich explains it quite nicely. recent footage just in the mid way

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 12:45 AM »
I can totally understand where you're comming from here as i felt the same when i used to watch BMX on TV, on a comp' level it's turned into a circus show but to sit down here on the sea front and watch the local kids try to pull something like a 180 rollbacks off the 2 foot wall still has it for me. You have the cool kids that do all the tricks but when you see the one kid try the same thing 20 times till he pulls it is great. I'm sitting there with my kids playing on the beach keeping half an eye on the riding and wishing i was with them and when they pull it i give them a shout and they all look at me like i'm a weirdo.

The right stuff is still there. I'm lucky though as the town i live in is quite a close community and BMX is massive here, much bigger than it was in Dartford. It's just a shame there don't seem to be an old skool community here like there was there. Now we have a track though that might change, i'm looking foward to the summer.

superFLY69

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 12:11 PM »
gonna take this back to the begining a bit
C.B.C.L

you have it nailed mate

i ride at the charlton ramp
and was there last night
we have a young lad there 13 i think we all pass on a little knowledge to try to improve his riding and give him an allround skill level
he is improving loads small wall rides manuals on a five foot quarter nice airs so on

been trying to get him to tyre tap the 5 ft ramp
BUT
the inocent little lad anounced

tyre taps are boring i want to learn whips
whips to what we asked?

just whips!!!!

to which everyone shouted what the F**k are you ganna do with the whip when you can't get back in the ramp

sums it up really

i'm with you
C.B.C.L

teamsano

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 02:39 PM »

..does anyone understand what i'm trying to say? I'm as erudite as the next man but what I'm trying to put across is so hard to put into words. I'll go and take my pills.

i get where you're coming from dude.
out of all the teenage kids nowadays that ride, 90% of them wont be still riding in 5 years. thats not a good or a bad thing, its just life.

it happened 25+ years ago when we first got bmx bikes, im sure theres less than 1% of kids who had a bmx in 1982 that still ride.
kids want to do all the latest tricks (or collect all the football stickers, or all the playstation games etc) but when theyve collected what they can, they lose interest and move on to whatever is popular. but in there somewhere theyll be kids who aren't that great a rider, but just love to ride no matter their skill level, and you'll find that these guys will be the radbmx members in 25 years time.

reay900tap

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 06:50 PM »
here's a bit of new school flow....

/>

Sorry but I can't even watch that. it's just how they all look the same, they all ride the same, just like almost every NS kid out there! I do appreciate the tricks that could be considered difficult but I think it's missing the point of riding completely. Im sure we've all want(ed) to be able to do the tricks our favourite riders did/do but it's all too 'dolly the sheep' for my liking... :(

I think if Chase D looked the same as everyone else he wouldn't be traveling the globe, have such a huge following or a signature frame on Fit etc....  Maybe you're missing something slightly?

yo stevie, do you remember some of chase d's older footage? all the amazing tech lip trick stuff,  that no one else did.. ?
although he is an amazing rider and the things he can do are sometimes unbelievable, I think that he is pretty much the same as most  other 'fashion' riders in the tricks they do,  this is the point subversion is making, there is very little in telling one rider from any other, which I think is shit because some of the best riders in the world are falling into this 'must do tricks' cult.. one recently is Rob Darden, now with no brakes and 2 pegs???

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2008, 10:18 AM »
can we not just get down with the kids instead of down on them

at least we are all riding bmx, and okay some of them won't stick with it but at least they tried and the fact that they did means that bmx continues to grow and prosper, as unfortunately the kids buying the latest colour parts is the way that bmx and many other things can survive commercially and ensure that companies don't go under.

I don't care what people wear either, however I'm pretty sure that the tight jeans black tee look was started mainly by Jimmy Levan and the other metal riders as a move against the baggy skater look, and how long has he been around?

thesku11s

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Attitude, its all about the attitude man!

Sirkillalot

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2008, 12:05 AM »
Oh dear! First thing I read and everyones banging on the same as Streetphire!! Read that and your more like the kids than you think!!

I still wanna do new tricks and ive been riding nigh on 20 years, I don't bounce as well as I used to but I'll give owt a whirl, i'm appreciating how hard it is to nose manual without brakes and whip up a set of steps and i'm giving no brakes a go!

All these kids push bmx like everyone else did in the 80's, 90's whenever, and I'm sure if the internet was around then people would be banging on about what kids were wearing/ riding. I think it's mint to be fair! These kids I see come in the shop everyday and all of em are already better than I will ever be, whether they will be around in 5 years who cares'there will be another Scotty Cramner soon enough to take his place!and thats what we need to make us buy shiney new light things and watch the new dvds and go 'fuuuckkk!'

hows that for a first post. stick that in your pipe and smoke it mark!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:17 AM by Sirkillalot »

rosscoe

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 07:24 PM »
they are as cool as we were in the 80s........

and there arent enough of us to fall out.........its all about the kids ;D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 08:40 AM »
All the kids (some are a bit big to be called that now though) that i've met at any of the RAD meets have been great!  superb riders and RAD as fook!! 

as for the dress sense? well looking back i guess we've all been slaves to the latest fashions at some point??  but let em be and long live BMX!   :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42 PM »
i havnt read the rest of this thread but i just been down the trails by myself doing some digging. 4 kids turn up all with tight jeans and stupid hair cuts and not 1 of them could be bothered to even say hello or speak about the trails. bet they will want to ride when its all done  :Aresehole: :2gunsfiring_v1:  :tickedoff:

perry

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 04:47 PM »
 :4_17_5:

no dig no ride  :)

im trying to track down pics of my old trails before they became houses  :'(

those kids probably didnt understand what you were doing  :tickedoff:

got any pics  :)

Trev

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51 PM »

sounds like my local newsagents...

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2008, 04:52 PM »

:LolLolLolLol:

no not got any pics yet, i can get some next time i go down.

perry

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 05:02 PM »
 ;D

:daumenhoch:

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06 PM »

thats brilliant trev, love it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  new school kids

gfxgfx
gfx gfx