gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 08:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Has street riding killed off the comps?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has street riding killed off the comps?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
Has street riding killed off the comps?
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:03 PM »
I'm getting more into street riding, and i can see why its probably the biggest part of newskool bmx now - different each time you go riding, creative etc. Many of the pros only get known through video parts so dont need to do comps, and you can watch it on youtube etc.

I also really like going to comps, going to the masters again this year :daumenhoch: and rebull empire of dirt, used to goto urban games, backyard, king of concrete, all now dead which is a real shame. (ok Rom jam is still cool)

The young riders i ferry upto skaterham arent interested in wasting a weekends riding time attending a comp they can see the next day on youtube in their own time.

what ya reckon ?

perry

Re: Has street riding killed off the comps?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:07 PM »
then i very much doubt those yunguns will be in bmx in a few years

dont forget about the street comps at grass root level  :)

its all phases , stuff comes and goes into and out of fashion

i dont worry about the comps though , im worried about the woods that lack trails and the builders that dont have to buy new shovels over the weekend for work monday morning  ;D

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Alot of the comps are dead cos the distributers that funded them are skint.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

welsh denny

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:03 PM »
maybe all can be true and have a relative effect on todays riders. bitd there was no internet, extreme channel etc.  bmx on tv once ,maybe twice a year. unless you attended comps (i am talking more ukbfa and early backyard jam days etc) the only other way you'd see it would be via pics in ride/invert/dig,etc. 
part of going to koc's ,backyard ,etc was also to hook up with friends and other likeminded riders who not only had a good weekend riding but also the social side of it which was always great fun. mayhem also followed but good times for sure. admitedly i don't attend many comps these days- some of the attitudes suck and it doesn't have the same vibe and friendliness that was about bitd.

perry

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:21 AM »
what you have to remember back in the backyard/koc days was hardly anyone rode so it was the only chance to see decent riding

nowadays there are loads of people riding at that level all around the country in most of the towns so whereas people would travel to watch backyard because thats all there was there are now local jams happening throughout the land

to get that grass roots jam feel you need to get to the small skateparks where the kids are doing it all for themselves

except for he digging of course  >:(

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09 PM »
i stopped going to comps for two reasons.

all the new school kids were doing the same tricks, nothing inventive, nothing new!

and two, got to the point where i couldn't be arsed to pay to see a comp with a load of people i rode with on a regular basis!

i like the point about local comps, there always good to see some different stuff, people trying to get noticed and stuff!

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12 PM »
It was all street when i was a kid, and i still like riding street, its all on your door step, there are still comps, but i dont think the money is there these days,

paul

mi16kie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Surley comps arent all about money? What happened to good old fashioned fun :)
  Every one down here in cornwall are fired up about our comp. A group get easter eggs as prizes but still want to enter.
  Even Tabron is really looking forward to it and it aint no x games.

Maybe people ride comps for the wrong reasons these days :-\

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Maybe people ride comps for the wrong reasons these days :-\
:daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 06:41 AM »
yeah that sounds about right  :(

back then you could throw some strange variation just to amuse your mates

5 minuite icepick stalls wouldnt happen anymore , i cant remember the last time i saw one "stalled" that wasnt just a "chink"  :2funny:

its all gone very tricklist , even things like tweeks to add your own style are classed as tricks now

could you imagine a big comp now that had no media , imagine all the current big names riding it out with no video cameras , no photos , no mag write ups , just riding for an amased crowd  :) people would have to tell people what tricks happened instead of geting out the phone and showing them 10mins of footage or putting a slideshow up on myface or whatever  :2funny:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Has street riding killed off the comps?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx