gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 05:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  ordering form america
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ordering form america  (Read 3327 times)

kickdown

ordering form america
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:36 PM »
not done it before and i cant see the frame i fancy in this country or any where online or in ride, if you order form say dans comp do you just ring up and pay by card the same as you would in this country?

thanks jason

Trev

Re: ordering form america
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:39 PM »
paying by credit card is exactly the same.

the only problem with ordering from abroad is that you might be stung for import tax.

nouseforaname

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:40 PM »
I know people who've ordered from the USA and got stuff no problem. As Trev says you'll probably get stung for import tax but apart from that you'll still get your stuff and I think it usually only takes a couple of weeks - Danscomp are pretty fast shipping over here from what I've been told

Trev

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:44 PM »
you won't always get stung for the import tax. sometimes you get away with it, but it's always better to budget on the assumption that you will.

kickdown

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:55 PM »
if you do get caught what is the import tax roughly?

xchainxofxstrengthx

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57 PM »
i ordered from danscomp along time ago payed with a credit card on phone to them and got it sent to my friend in Florida who then posted it onto me, no problem and was fast. xo

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 01:02 PM »
if you do get caught what is the import tax roughly?

Always add 20% on for Import tax and VAT + £12 Royal Mail handling charge.  As Trev says budget for paying it and if you don't then you are quids in.

I have ordered from Danscomp loads of times and they are superb, all overseas goods are sent via USPS International Priority Service (5-10 day delivery). 

Ordering from overseas is no problem at all, I ordered and received a frame recently and it arrived withing 7 days.

Diego

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:31 PM »
I ordered a mountain bike and got stung for the tax.I would have been just as better off buying from home.

wussy67

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:26 PM »
i ordered an intense frame from dans and got £75 tax on top, was the same as buying at home but the frame wasn"t out here and wanted it for xmas, dans comp are good and fast its just luck of the draw with tax :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 04:03 PM »

yup, what everybody else said, the only time i will buy from the states is if the item is cheap or unavailable over here.those thieving bastards at the post office have got me the last few times with tax and handling charges! one thing is for sure, you will be waitng a while for stuff to arrive.

subversion

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Just got a box full of stuff from US. The shop took everything out of the boxes & stated it as 'used' on the docs & we never got hit for duty :daumenhoch: fookers have raped us on it before now tho :2gunsfiring_v1:

If you're going to use a US store then at least go with a shop that's in it for the love of BMX not just $ales ca$h. Imho Dan's are like the 'Tesco's' of BMX :) There's a bunch of other US stores that are well worth dealing with & will probably look after you better :daumenhoch:

Good luck dude

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16 PM »

thecrooch

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:36 PM »
some shops will change the value they list on the chit some wont - IME most dont...

but you will pay a lot less on a frame than a complete bike, because they then stick vat on top of the import duty so you end up paying nearly 40% on top which is pretty much the same as buying here.

coloured tuffs.com will take it all out of the packing and list as second hand - i got my Loopy Quad that way, paid a little import but no where near as much as if it had all turned up as new.

good luck

Trev

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 12:51 AM »
you'll find that a lot of people will be reluctant to lower the value of the goods for documentation purposes. if they mark up a £500 frame set for £50 for example and that frame set then goes missing in transit, they will only be able to claim back £50. it's not in their interest to under mark it. they would rather insure it for the full value as the custom charges are your own problem not theirs.

lodge

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58 AM »
Iv'e ordered stuff from the US twice and got stung twice I wont do it again, it can take months to arrive, it looks cheap at the time but with shipping and poss duty etc its not that much cheaper, also its good to support rider run bmx shops in the uk if you can.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:54 AM »

speak to streetmafia

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 06:55 AM »

but you will pay a lot less on a frame than a complete bike, because they then stick vat on top of the import duty so you end up paying nearly 40% on top which is pretty much the same as buying here.

It isn't anywhere near 40% on top Crooch, I did a lot of research into the charges, I spoke to HM Customs & Exise about it and the correct charges are 3% Import Duty Tax and 17.5% VAT, Royal Mail then charge £8 handling fee.   So add 20% on to any package to cover the charges.

If you get a package where the Import Duty Tax and VAT is way over what you should be paying then you have a couple of choices.  What usually happens is the incorrect goods amount is entered by the sender (i.e a decimal place wrong so instead of reading $100.00 it reads $1000.0 this means you will be charged incorrectly)

First choice is to accept the package, pay the charge and then ring HM C & E and ask for a refund form and they will send you one to fill in.  This will then be assessed and you will get your ££ back if it is incorrect.

The second choice is to make a note of the correct charge to be applied, go to the Royal Mail Collections office holding the parcel, tell them what it should be (take all of your invoices and payments with you).  Ask Royal Mail to change the details and then for them to re-process the parcel.  This should take about 5 days but will come back to you with the correct charges.

If in any doubt ring HM C&E, I did and they are incredibly helpful.

subversion

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 08:46 PM »
you'll find that a lot of people will be reluctant to lower the value of the goods for documentation purposes. if they mark up a £500 frame set for £50 for example and that frame set then goes missing in transit, they will only be able to claim back £50. it's not in their interest to under mark it. they would rather insure it for the full value as the custom charges are your own problem not theirs.

You're right Trev but that's exactly what they did for us ;)

rosscoe

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 09:19 PM »
done it plenty of times - Tom @ Empire...always cool

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  ordering form america

gfxgfx
gfx gfx