gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 10:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS  (Read 30680 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
A few people ask about the old school racing scene so I will try and include all relevant info in this thread.

OSS racing is a great way to get back into BMX or even for first timers, there is no pressure and competition is what you want to make it.

There are quite a few tracks in most regions that will allow the Old school to have a gate at races, the main exception is at national level. The best ones are at club level where its a pretty laid back event. Contact me with your location and I will put you in touch with a local OS rider who will show you the ropes.

Rules.
Old bmx bike (preferably pre 1991 and 20" wheels) must have a 1" threaded headset and caliper brakes.
Crash helmet, gloves, long sleeves and trousers or suitable pads must be worn
Registeration varies from £2 to £10 depending on where you race.
Licences are only needed if you race at regional level or above.
Dont take it too seriously, its ment to be fun :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

moley

Re: OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:55 PM »
Creamy and me have just started racing OS in the North West Region.

We are both totally useless but its great fun and we're both loving every minute of it!!!

So it we can do it, anyone can!!!

Even little old ladies!!! :daumenhoch:

And we always come last!!!!! :)

Don't be shy and pop along to one of the races near you if you want a better idea of what goes on.

South, North and the Scottish Region Old School Race Meets information can be found here on RADBMX in this section (Old School Racing) and

on this website http://www.ossbmxracing.co.uk.

This site also includes pictures and details of some the riders, if you want to see what sort of men would take up OS BMX Racing!!!!

The Answer :  It takes all sorts!!   The Fat, The Thin, The Agile, The Decrepid.   I fall into the latter category.........and the first!!!

If your have kids then its a good way to get them exercising as they would love to race too!!

So its a good family day out!!!

You could even get your missus racing too, if it wont affect the sunday roast!!!! :LolLolLolLol:

All the OS Racing lads are down to earth and very welcoming to newbies, so dont worry about it!!!

You'll love it!!!!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:46 PM by moley »

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:42 PM »
OK then what the crack with AD lugs

Surely they ain't allowed

and no grinding them off

Or are they legit  ::)

moley

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:50 PM »
My Haro Group One RS1 had lugs on as well as caliper mounts.

So I dont think having them on ya bike is a problem

But you can't use them.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51 PM »
i wouldn't want em on the forks though.....might impale ya if you take a tumble??  :crazy2:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Good question

Ive a frame on the way thats got 1" threaded headset and forks, caliper mount on the seat stay, but has AD lugs on the chain stay

Surely if a caliper brake is used its os legal?

Its an early nineties frame not new school.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I suppose Alan Woods ( ALANS bmx ) is ' THE' man to ask as he started the O/S racing marlarky , didn't he

so he must have made the rules  ???

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13 PM »
My Haro Group One RS1 had lugs on as well as caliper mounts.

So I dont think having them on ya bike is a problem

But you can't use them.

As per Alans race series:- The only bike with lugs that can race in old school is Haro Group One, like yours. It was something to with the fact they came out 1986, or something like that.

:)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Aww feck...  >:(

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Aww feck...  >:(
Stick some haro stickers on it, no one will say a thing :daumenhoch:

boysie

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09 PM »
A few people ask about the old school racing scene so I will try and include all relevant info in this thread.

OSS racing is a great way to get back into BMX or even for first timers, there is no pressure and competition is what you want to make it.

There are quite a few tracks in most regions that will allow the Old school to have a gate at races, the main exception is at national level. The best ones are at club level where its a pretty laid back event. Contact me with your location and I will put you in touch with a local OS rider who will show you the ropes.

Rules.
Old bmx bike (preferably pre 1991 and 20" wheels) must have a 1" threaded headset and caliper brakes.
Crash helmet, gloves, long sleeves and trousers or suitable pads must be worn
Registeration varies from £2 to £10 depending on where you race.
Licences are only needed if you race at regional level or above.
Dont take it too seriously, its ment to be fun :daumenhoch:

toys19

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if you guys had any rounds in the south west, I cant see any rounds listed on the ossracing website in my area (I'm in Devon). Is there anything in the pipeline? We have great tracks at burnham, exeter, decoy(newtonabbot) Tiverton, Torquay. I'm keen to get involved as I could only manage to go racing once when I was kid, my parents worked at weekends!! I've got a bike, and the kit and I'm thirsty to race.  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Just wanted to add that i did my first OS race at the weekend and loved every minute of it!  there was a superb atmosphere and all the guys made me feel really welcome!  the only problem i had with the whole weekend was the fact that i realised the old Goose just isn't really suited to a 6' 2" 38 year old and it cost me £100 for a new Hyper!   :2funny:

but i shall be back on the gate very soon for more fun and action  :daumenhoch:

just have a go people and you'll love it!  i came last and a couple of 4th places in my motos and enjoyed every minute! 

toys19

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Pickle I am completly up for it, but all the races in my area are new school!!! My nearest round this year now is herseden or bad, bloody miles away!!!!! Although I could maybe do BAD and incorporate bringing the wife to see her sis in London..
But I still would like to see some rounds down here I reckon there are loads of south west old schoolers who would be up for it (although I am new on the scene so thats just total conjecture) :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07 AM »
i completely understand your problem mate..........traveling up from down there is not a great prospect.......surely there must be some local guys down there???   

Come on peeps make yourself known!   :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Start a new thread about setting a series up, If you can get 6 or up it will work, pm me and I can help set you up with the points etc.

:daumenhoch:

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:54 PM »
there must be a bunch of us down South!

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 01:30 PM »
I think each region should have enough riders to generate a gate of Old School racing shouldn't they?

S1

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I only ever raced once, at Woodham Warriors in about 84 or so. I'm in the process of building a Haro Group1 RS1and would love to give it another go, wheres my nearest track now, WW is no more isnt it?

hooga1975

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I only ever raced once, at Woodham Warriors in about 84 or so. I'm in the process of building a Haro Group1 RS1and would love to give it another go, wheres my nearest track now, WW is no more isnt it?

Alright S1, I was from Woodham and so was Crooch.  There is a bunch of guys getting together to rebuild the old track.  Have a look on here

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7014068622

Or pop down there on a Saturday if you are still local, you will probably find Scott Weeks and a bunch of other guys doing some work down there.

If you are still in Woodham you have got Braintree and Dagenham tracks that are not to far.  If you want to have a go at racing, get yourself down to MK next weekend.  It is going to be mental.

S1

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:21 PM »

Alright S1, I was from Woodham and so was Crooch.  There is a bunch of guys getting together to rebuild the old track.  Have a look on here

Or pop down there on a Saturday if you are still local, you will probably find Scott Weeks and a bunch of other guys doing some work down there.

If you are still in Woodham you have got Braintree and Dagenham tracks that are not to far.  If you want to have a go at racing, get yourself down to MK next weekend.  It is going to be mental.

Im actually from Burnham, I think I know Scott from years ago, never knew he was a BMX'er tho. We have a few mutual Facebook friends so I reckon its him although  his pic dont look like the Scott I knew, not saying he hasnt aged well or nowt   :daumenhoch:

Would love to come to MK but im going to Ford Fair. Hopefully be able to make some other meets tho soon.

thecrooch

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34 PM »

Im actually from Burnham, I think I know Scott from years ago, never knew he was a BMX'er tho. We have a few mutual Facebook friends so I reckon its him although  his pic dont look like the Scott I knew, not saying he hasnt aged well or nowt   :daumenhoch:

Would love to come to MK but im going to Ford Fair. Hopefully be able to make some other meets tho soon.

Hi mate

Im in touch with Scott most days  - what is your name and ill pass on a hi.

he's building a haro rs1 as well

Pop over to WW - the track is sort of rideable now, we have spent the last year clearing it from 20 years of growth - a lot of hard work has gone into it and we are waiting on planning now befroe we can do much more.

We have the diggers in this weekend to flatten certain bits so its getting to the stage where its rideable but only as a single track.  We had the gate up the other day, bloody heavy thing it was.

Think the next dagenham meeting is a summer series meet on the 17th August

S1

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 01:16 PM »

Hi mate

Im in touch with Scott most days  - what is your name and ill pass on a hi.

he's building a haro rs1 as well

Pop over to WW - the track is sort of rideable now, we have spent the last year clearing it from 20 years of growth - a lot of hard work has gone into it and we are waiting on planning now befroe we can do much more.

We have the diggers in this weekend to flatten certain bits so its getting to the stage where its rideable but only as a single track.  We had the gate up the other day, bloody heavy thing it was.

Think the next dagenham meeting is a summer series meet on the 17th August

My name is Paul Roberts, IIRC I knew Scott thru Martin Lock.

thecrooch

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 02:03 PM »
he does know Martin, so that would be him.

S1

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 06:42 PM »
he does know Martin, so that would be him.

Just realised I was thinking of totally the wrong person  ???

I remembered why I know Scott tho, he was a friend of one of my ex's. IIRC he was into the VW Golf scene at the time, that sound right?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx