gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 03:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  Hoffman Condor Mk1 & Mk2 Guide
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hoffman Condor Mk1 & Mk2 Guide  (Read 38939 times)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Hoffman Condor Mk1 & Mk2 Guide
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Okay, far too much S&M stuff in the mid-school section now.

So, here's a quick guide to the mk1 and mk2 Hoffman Condor F&F.

I will extend this later to include the full history of the Condor F&F...but to get the ball rolling:

Mk1 Condor Frame & Forks
Year: 1992
Production Run: 2 x Batches of 150 (inc 50 completes)
Made by: SE Racing
Weight: Frame 5lbs 8oz,  Forks 2lbs 4oz
Colours: Chrome or Blue

1992 Catalogue

Mk2 Condor Frame & Forks
Year: 1993
Production Run: Unknown
Made by: Hoffman Ramp Room (welded by Gack)
Weight: Frame 6lbs 8oz,  Forks 2lbs 8oz
Colours: Chrome or Blue

You can tell a 93 instantly by two things (other than the illustrations below), a) the tubing was pressed to an oval shape by a car jack, rather than being formed oval like at SE, and b) the quality of the welding - SE is so much better.

Here you can see the differences between the 92 & 93:

Headtube angle (92 at back) & Fork Bosses (the front forks are 94 models, 93 had the same bosses as the 93 rear ones):

Rear drop-outs & peg bosses (92 at front):

Rear ends, note the difference in drop-out thickness (92 at bottom):

1996/97 Condor Tai Green

1996/97 Condor Tai Purple

Both Together

Condor Sticker Sets
Mk2b/3 & Mk4

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: Hoffman Condor Mk1 & Mk2 Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:19 PM »
I'll extend and complete this as time goes on.

If you have a catalogue scans or pics, please post.

Thanks!

DAve
Redressing the S&M:Hoffman balance.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:26 PM »
cool some nice pics there, i would love a mk1 condor :smitten: :smitten: when does the standard guide post start  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

condor96

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00 PM »
 8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:49 AM by condor96 »

condor96

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:41 AM »
since this is early condor related ill put this here too. this is a concept condor logo drawn by davin "pyscho" halford in 93. it was a concept to replace the original "oondor" decals, but was never used.

early 94. this is the first of the ramp room made condors and also when they started using these flame decals. this particular one is a prototype with the rear peg mounts,2 cable guides and ht gusset further down than the regular production 94s. also with no serial unlike the regular production 94s. you can tell a ramp room by how the seat stays connect. se made ones were connected straight on the back and sides of the seat mast,centerline with the middle of the top tube and the seat post clamp was partialy welded to the seatstays in addition to the seat mast,unlike ramp room condors.

spring 94- early 95. no peg mounts and one cable guide. ht gusset is not all the way down. this is a regular production 94 and they started to get a serial number that went C4xxxx for condor 1994 (just like the 94 big daddies with their B4xxxx serials). this particular one is C40008 (#8) and was originaly flowed from matt to james shepherd.

some other 94 pics

spring 95-late 95.  the condor gets a overhaul. big curved wraparound ht gusset,chainstays get a big wishbone and the dropouts are revised with no triangle cutout,big hub protection,and still 3/8 axle slots. the seat stays were attacthed slightly up the seat mast at centerline with the top tube. front dropouts stayed the same but with much bigger pegboss(1 1/8th inch) by welding another bigger cap over the earlier smaller pegbosses. 

late 95-spring 96. last gen of the ramp room made,usa made condors. flame decals were updated. dropouts got slightly smaller in the back,still with 3/8ths axle slots. seatstay connection was moved from the back of the seat mast to the sides of the seatmast also connecting the top tube.seat post clamp and bolt got bigger. fork dropouts got smaller dropouts but were also thicker than the previous gen and the fork legs were also upsized.

mid 96-late 96. first of the taiwann made frames. rear dropouts are made slightly smaller with 14mm slots. gusset is more flat shaped with straight edges and hb logo. fork legs are changed from the kinked ones to a more curve. legs are upsized and pegboss is a one piece right at the bottom of the leg. dropout is revised still with 3/8th slots and the peg boss is still 1 1/8th inch. some decals on mid 96/97 have made in usa on them, others do not. its hit or miss. mid 96s serials start with kf.

this pic is from the 97 product guide but they used pics of mid 96 bikes for the shots

seatstays and chainstays

this photo is a shot of the mid 96 one inch threaded super forks but the legs/peg bosses/dropouts are the same for the regular fork

late 96-early 97 (catalog also refers to this gen as "the classic series")
at a glace almost identical to mid 96s. chainstays are kinked in different spots and the seat stays lost the kink, almost a straight tube and the seat stays are also welded further foward on the tt. ht gusset got a little tiny bit bigger,little more curved with a curved front where it meets the ht. the rear end got shorter(from 15.25 to 15) and the top tube got longer.(from 20.75 to 21) forks got a way bigger dropout that extends past the peg boss and now with 14mm axle slot. peg bosses grew to 1 1/4 inch and got a bit thicker again. last of the one inch ht/forks and flame decals(you could get in a regular threaded fork or the super fork which was a threadless 1 inch for this gen). serials start with a kf.

mid 97-early 99. relesed mid 97. different blue decals. chainstays curved in alot and gusset went back to the 96 style but same diementions
as the early 97. first of the 1 1/8th oversized. forks got redone again with 3/8ths slots and pegbosses back up the leg a bit. fork legs slightly bigger.
could get in chrome or flat black and mid 98 they came out with a candy red. early mid 97s had a ht decal.going into 98 the started to come with a metal ht badge. serials start with a cibc.

mid 98 with the candy red

late 98/early 99-about mid 2000               ive seen in chrome,white,and flat black
ht gusset got way longer going down the down tube. its also when the condor started getting the bigger seat tubes(they got even bigger after this gen)
the 99 and later models started getting broke down into three different groups. the star series(2 pc bars,1pc cranks with the less expensive sprocket.)
the team series(love handles,1 pc cranks) and the pro team series (love handles and primo powerbite 3pc cranks)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:50 AM by condor96 »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55 AM »
Good man - lots of work there dude. Thank you.

:daumenhoch:

condor96

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Good man - lots of work there dude. Thank you.

:daumenhoch:

no problem. yeah it took a bit but i was gonna do it anyways. im sure ill add more and update as time goes on.... :daumenhoch:

ROM TAJ

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:31 PM »

I LOVE THAT 92 CONDOR I HAD MINE FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND SOME NO GOOD SON A BITCH

STOLE IT !! I HATE TO THINK WERE ITIS NOW . IM RIDING A 96 TAJ BUT IT WILL NEVER LIVE UP TO THAT  CONDOR

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK HOFFMAN RULES OK !

BMXBAZ

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A SET OF 95-96 CONDOR STICKERS. MY FRAME IS CHROME AND A BIT RUSTY  AND MY STICKERS ARE A BIT BEATEN UP THEY ARE THE RED FLAME STYLE  AND IM DESPERATE TO GET IT RECHROMED AND RESTICKERED IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME FIND SOME THAT WOULD BE GREAT IVE ALSO GOT A FLASH WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO FIND REPLACEMENT STICKERS FOR ALSO BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE TO LOOK. ::)

condor96

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 04:32 AM »
i really need to update this post.......
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:16 AM by condor96 »

condor96

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:47 AM »
ahh, thats much better now  :)  ;)

Blue_Max

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:15 PM »
very helpful references in this post :)  has anyone actually reproduced the 1997 condor flame decals? 

oldskoolbully

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26 PM »
i have a 2 condor that ive been meaning to restore for ages , it has haro knees savers , pergrines , s&m pitchforks , haro group1 stem , peregrine cd chainring , bit of a mish mash really but i rode the fuk out of it in the early to mid 90s !   yo have given me the inspiration to get on with it  cheers .

steve.4130

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Some valueble info here, great history and referance for my build. Thanks for posting this up,  :daumenhoch: there cant be many of the se condors left now. There are only 2 se's that i know of here in Guernsey, mine and a guy that has no plans for restoreing it or selling...  :idiot2:   what a waste....

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:35 AM »
hey steve, hows the restoration coming along with my old condor. would love to see it when it's finished.

steve.4130

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 04:27 PM »
hey steve, hows the restoration coming along with my old condor. would love to see it when it's finished.
Hi john! The bike has had some serious love recently only a few more parts needed to finish, patriot bars are the last peice to the puzzle.. Once ive got some i will be takeing a trip to the chromers... Will be puting this resto project up in a short while with loads of photos & shouts to everyone thats helped me out, thanks again John, all the best mate..

condor96

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 06:38 AM »
yeah not alot of s.e. condors floating around.  i can only account for about 15 or less surviving 92s worldwide and thats including prototypes,team riders bikes and mats (like 6-8 of those right there).      i can account for maybe 10-12 s.e. 93s.     even less of ramp room 94s, only know of 4. the prototype i own, sheps former one C40008, my friend  paul murrays (rider/hoffmans first in house welder) C40005, and one that surfaced here in the states, C40183.
so yeah, not alot of the early years out there.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 07:47 AM »
there are more out there just stashed away, i know someone with one up in his loft that needs a resto which he's had since the 90's

oldschoolfool

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 02:14 PM »
i have one tucked away

would you say a 92?its got no serial number that i can find.what do you think?

condor96

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 04:51 AM »
yes, thats a 92 you have there  :daumenhoch:

retrosalad

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 08:18 PM »
heres mine mk1 1993 hoffman condor .been in the loft since 1996 :daumenhoch:

i have the original stickers, but stuck to my old walldrobe in the loft :D so im after a new set if anybody has any please :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 08:41 PM »
That's a very interesting way you've got that rear brake set up  ???

retrosalad

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22 PM »
i found that there was too much friction the original way and this way the brake worked smoother  more positive, as i used to love doing tyre taps.

oldschoolfool

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43 PM »
yes, thats a 92 you have there  :daumenhoch:

thats 16 then :daumenhoch: ;D

spinney rye

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 09:53 PM »

LOVE this thread .. some great pics there

i have some 1992 condor forks still in mint condition but now i need another frame  :10_2_12:

reading this thread im now beginning to realise ill never find one  :tickedoff:

anyone wana swap for a s&m menstrualin mint condition  ..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  Hoffman Condor Mk1 & Mk2 Guide

gfxgfx
gfx gfx