gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975498 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 05:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  how to id cro mo mongoose forks?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how to id cro mo mongoose forks?  (Read 2560 times)

eloopnai

how to id cro mo mongoose forks?
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:10 PM »
with mongoose forks looking the same steel or cro mo how can you tell if they really  are cro mo ?
the 84 calis the supergoose and pro class had cro mo forks but as i said how can you tell ? ive seen some go for a lot of money saying there supergoose forks yet theres nothing stamped on them or ive seen some with LUNGI on them
i havent looked at mine on my goose as its all built up
anyone know anything that might help ?  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: how to id cro mo mongoose forks?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Watch the myth about '84 Cali's having chromo forks - I've had a uk one that didn't :knuppel2:

Pretty much the safest way is the Supergoose and Pro-class ones were made by Tange and stamped at the front above the bottom bearing race. Also they are generally smaller in outside diameter. Check out the forks on my 1983 US Supergoose here for what I mean:

The Lungi ones are definitely steel not chromo by the way and whilst they will do the trick no bother, are heavier than the rest of the bike :LolLolLolLol:

Hope that helps :daumenhoch:

Cheers

Spen
Still limping......

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Not sure about the thick / thin diameter technique for the supergoose fork ID spen - as far as i know the thinner ones are from a supergoose 2 and were derived from the original decoster forks. When you turn 'em upside down they have more of a U shape whereas the supergoose 3 forks have more of a rounded V shape (you can see this in the catalogs) If you use the 82-83 catalog from vintagemongoose it's the first time the proclass appears and the supergoose is still the gusseted supergoose 2 and you can clearly see that the proclass forks are thicker than the one on the super 2. Once you get to the 84 catalog and the supergoose 3 appears the outward appearance of the forks looks the same across the range (maybe not the minis !)

As for eloopnai's original post about the diff between cali and super 3 forks - i doubt you could tell them apart on an ebay listing until you got them home and weighed them  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Well we live and learn eh?

My '83 US Supergoose 3 has the thin forks and they are stamped "Tange". They are the same diameter as my '78 Team Mongoose and my brother's '80 Team. They are definitely smaller than the multiple Californian's I've owned (I've had at least 6 I can remember now, including my '83 back as a lad in 1983 >:D)

I'll have to get around to wieghing them and measuring the diameter one day and posting pics for this post when I get chance :2funny:

Cheers guys :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

eloopnai

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:04 PM »
cheers fellas  :daumenhoch:

Offline Paul_R

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Apologies for the Holy thread resurrection, I have two pairs of the Lungi stamped forks, one marked Hi Tensile and one marked Cro-Moly, with the Cro-moly being 120g lighter, what frame would the Cro-Moly lungi forks have come with?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Could the Lungi Forks be from a UK Ammaco Mongoose?  :-\

Apologies for the Holy thread resurrection, I have two pairs of the Lungi stamped forks, one marked Hi Tensile and one marked Cro-Moly, with the Cro-moly being 120g lighter, what frame would the Cro-Moly lungi forks have come with?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  how to id cro mo mongoose forks?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx