gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 12:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra  (Read 106172 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Phil Dolan didn't seem to like his Shorty much. I'm sure he was carrying his newish frame around at Hastings or Southsea one year, trying to sell it.

christhejob

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 05:42 PM »
oh yeah, that was pretty funny.  Standard sent a shorty to Ride to review (and hopefully send back).  They were completely taken by surprise when ride announced in their review that they had flowed it to Phil to be a UK standard rider (?)  and yeah, he didn't like it.  But old pumpkin head never smiled much!!

Reminds me of the story about Phil and new era caps and pinheads and something........

rosscoe

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 07:25 PM »
brought a mk1 Bullitt in from the states when they were released, loved it, and what Standard were doing. Sold it a good while ago and it was shipped back to the states!

nearly bought one of the mk2's (as shown)...but didnt

SaMAlex

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Standard sent a shorty to Ride to review (and hopefully send back).  They were completely taken by surprise when ride announced in their review that they had flowed it to Phil to be a UK standard rider (?)

Ride tested a standard frame (I think it was a lengthy) in 93ish. They were going to give it to a UK rider as a sponsorship deal, which I think Standard were involved in. Tim Ruck was doing a lot of work for Ride at that time and thanks to him, the frame was offered to me. Of course, I turned it down. I dont know who got the frame in the end.

christhejob

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Standard sent a shorty to Ride to review (and hopefully send back).  They were completely taken by surprise when ride announced in their review that they had flowed it to Phil to be a UK standard rider (?)

Ride tested a standard frame (I think it was a lengthy) in 93ish. They were going to give it to a UK rider as a sponsorship deal, which I think Standard were involved in. Tim Ruck was doing a lot of work for Ride at that time and thanks to him, the frame was offered to me. Of course, I turned it down. I dont know who got the frame in the end.

that was the one.. of course you turned it down because it was too short, not that you preferred welded cheese dropout frames made by a lawnchair manufacturer  ;)

welsh denny

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 05:17 PM »
oh yeah, that was pretty funny.  Standard sent a shorty to Ride to review (and hopefully send back).  They were completely taken by surprise when ride announced in their review that they had flowed it to Phil to be a UK standard rider (?)  and yeah, he didn't like it.  But old pumpkin head never smiled much!!

Reminds me of the story about Phil and new era caps and pinheads and something........

i remember phil having that chrome shorty. he was spending time between cardiff/bath/london for a few years dossing between family members. he happened to be down in cardiff when some of us were going to the bath bcr jam so we gave him a lift to the skatepark and he was heading on to a relatives after that. he did do some good stuff but you know when your not enjoying riding something. he was having a blast on the horrid jumpbox on it too. some nice tables and x ups on it . i put the video of the jam on youtube - type in-  1993 bath bcr jam

christhejob

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 04:54 PM »
on a vague related thread, got an email off hitchcox.. my 250L with custom engraving and OS headtube gusset is on its way from Davenport. YUMYUM!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58 PM »
ooooopics when she arrives chris

laughinggravy

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01 PM »
I ended up getting a Standard Lengthy a while after driving Krt, Tim, Chad and a v.young Joe Rich around the uk for a week. And I had it for . . ohh a few weeks. I wanted a bike that wouldn't break, but was tooooooo heavy!
What did I get instead? An old Dyno, which I got an engineer to re weld, shifting the seat stays back  so, no platform, and were now long enough to run over the top of the new (fat one piece) dropouts, and a 'fill-in' headset gusset (a la standard). So, like a standard, but lighter. Lasted a very short while, til I twisted the back end fakieing up to an ice pick on a concrete wall.

Bit the bullet, got an S&M, what I shoulda in the first place eh A.L.?  ;D

scott250

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 11:09 PM »
I rode a lengthy for a year or so, didn't feel heavy to ride I thought with the short backend & short steep frontend .  I liked it but the front was way too short really.  I even had a 2nd hand shorty that I ride for about 2 weeks,, sold it on - even along side an 80s frame they were short as, haha - was fun to ride for a laugh.  STAs and 250s were/are where its at - I've got a secondhand 250s today as it happens.  I think the 250 standards are my favorite frames all in all.  Standard were the first to do a nice short backend and its standard(pun inteneded :P) on more or less all those light modern frames to be short as in the rear.  Standards are nicly made but not unbreakable.  Most kids who ride these days cry about weight  ;D  bunch of girls, light bikes are easy to chuck round but they will snap easy as, haha.

reay900tap

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 03:55 PM »

I have had two standards, a casi??? can't spell it,  the luc'e sig frame, and a ox plat 250s..

I remember one of the lads we used to.. well infact still do ride with brought a Standard shorty years ago, being younger and always on the wind up we convinced him it was a fake, told him it need a Standard 'stamp' on it and it didn't have one...

couple days later he was riding a haro or something, told us he sent the Standard back :shocked: 

sorry Ibbo.....

groover247

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45 PM »
heres my current rider.

I think she's a bicyclemotocross/older 125.

21.25, 10mm drops and ad mounts on the chainstays

it looks strange when i stand it next to the modern scooter frames.

sutty

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 07:34 AM »
sweet sutty

subversion

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 01:09 PM »
it looks strange when i stand it next to the modern scooter frames.
sutty

strange=better :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 07:23 PM »
have you style cats seen this?
http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php't=168623

(see what i did there??)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 09:54 PM »
i'm lost for words!

i honestly don't know what to say.

there's some stuff in that thread that made me chuckle though.

wonder when production models will be out

darkersomeday

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54 PM »
i'd be so chuffed if they made a comeback,

check the old bicyclemotocross fame in the background :smitten:

christhejob

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 06:35 AM »
errr, forgot what i was going to say

SaMAlex

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 08:48 AM »

This whole thread started really well but just kinda fizzled out. Not much to see now.

Ironic that it was a thread about Standard Bykes  >:D :LolLolLolLol:

christhejob

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 01:09 PM »
up yer bum alex!

teamsano

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24 PM »
pwnd!

christhejob

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 12:26 AM »
pwnd!
surely you're older than me Gogo?  What the hell does that mean??  I feel like an Uncle in white slip-ons trying to dance to drum n bass these days.

Back on topic.  Watch this space for some lovely new SBCage. 

reay900tap

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58 AM »
S&MAlex & myself were chating at the xmas do about standard bykes, I was saying that I used to be diehard standard, but in all honesty I felt that they had stop progressing.. it just seemed (to me anyhow) that they were not improving or pushing they frame/parts technolgy, while everyone else was, including S&M !!
I'd check their webpage on occassion to see if they'd 'caught up' as I would love to go back to them and again, run only standard!

well, by the looks of things this may well happen :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2008, 07:12 AM »

surely you're older than me Gogo?

surely you must be joking?  :2funny:

christhejob

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 11:12 AM »
i'm 36..............  i dunno.  you're timeless, it's the handplant kickturns..   ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra

gfxgfx
gfx gfx