gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 08:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Track building and advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Track building and advice  (Read 2142 times)

Bushwacked

Track building and advice
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:09 AM »
First time I've ventured into the world of racing  :-\

I'm a member of my local Cycling club (Cheltenham) for my sins - mainly because I ride MTB as well as BMX - Got copied into an email last night from the chairman as he has been contacted by the press about a BMX track being built and he was writing to the council to offer assistance on this.

The only snag from his point is he doesn't know a great deal about it. I am one of the only guys in the club who rides BMX (most others are Roadies or MTBers), but I've spoken to him to say that he should include BMX, so this he's copied me in as he knows I'm into it (Although more freestyle than racing) and I'd be keen to see something promoting BMXing in the area.

I am wondering, if needed, if anyone on here can point me in the direction of someone who could offer the council some pointers on track building??

I suppose it falls into two areas:

1. Design and construction
2. Making sure it gets used after its been built so no money is wasted - i.e. creating some local league / club and getting the locals involved

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Cheers  :daumenhoch:

B

Flying_fox

Re: Track building and advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:56 AM »
There are loads of track builders out there, some much better than others!

It's best to go with a tried and tested track builder that's for sure, you don't want to be stuck with a 400m white elephant.

He's a few:

Hudu is ace, look at the East Kent track in Hearn Bay!
Clark and Kent built the 'new' Alveston track in Derby, contact the club there to get their contact details.
Steve Jenks built Norwich + 100's of others and re-builds, http://www.bmxtrackbuilding.co.uk/  He's a council favourite.
Jason Carpenter is good too, he built the track in Wales + started Clark and Kent off. He started with the Dragon Downhill then went over to BMX.
Rick Forte, Dad to the Forte brothers and builder of Cheddar + many others. He also built the Red Bull tracks and Decoy trails in the first place.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:01 AM by Flying_fox »

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Hi m8, if you want help etc i only live in Worcester, and have a small involvement in bmx racing  :LolLolLolLol:

Also might help getting intouch with Nick Yarwood from British Cycling he's the regions cycling manager

Bushwacked

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Just had another email off the chairman and we're not 100% sure the council know what they want or even what the options are...

...white elephant does spring to mind!!!

Going to meet up with him sometime soon to discuss.

Bushwacked

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:44 PM »
More info is being sent through as the day progresses...

Seems that they are asking for designs to be sent in and someone will judge the best and it will get built (I imagine within a specific budget)...

If I can wangle it anyone on here fancy using their knowledge to help judge these entries? The thought is that if the winning one could be something that could be extended inthe future...

B

Moschops

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:15 PM »
The UCI website has loads of approved designs and tech info

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp'menuId=MTI2MDA

click on the building guide button on the right, I have used loads of stuff on there for council officials.

Bushwacked

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Right, more info...

Turns out that Gloucestershire needs a BMX track as there isn't a decent one in this part of the world. So me and a few others from the local Cycling club are putting something together to get it put right...

Wondering if anyone can help in the early stages...

Looking for the following:

1. Photos / plans of what other councils have done
2. Details of how this has helped the community - kids off street, local business benefit, improved goodwill for community etc etc etc
3. Funding details
4. How it has become a part of the BMX scene? How Racing has evolved etc...

And anything else that might help.

We are worried that what they are planning will miss a big opportunity to raise the profile of BMXing inthe area... especially with the Olympics round the corner.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Track building and advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx