gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975598 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 06:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Vert? A dying sport?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vert? A dying sport?  (Read 5954 times)

jedi

Re: Vert? A dying sport?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 06:37 PM »
once a month get together i reckon!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 12:46 PM »
I blame the Romans!  ::)

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I would like to join the regular vert sessions. I am not any good on vert, I can only get just above the coping but have always wanted to give it more of a go. I've only ridden twice on two vert ramps I had the opportunity to ride, in many many years of riding, there's so few about.

jedi

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 04:36 PM »
tuesdays at corby= vert oclock
i too can get 2ft at best but willl go higher

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 04:53 PM »
tuesdays at corby= vert oclock
i too can get 2ft at best but willl go higher

What time do you guys get there and stay till? Oh and will you guys be there tomorrow?

jedi

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55 PM »
im injured so wont be til next tuesday from 3 til 9

DJ

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 10:20 PM »
I thought vert was dying also but what I commentated on this past weekend changed my view.
Aussie vince Byron put tabron out of the event at just 19years old! This kid was unreal.
Finals were zach warden (20), coco (24), Austin Coleman (25) & vince Byron (19).
Agreed there were no kagy, bestwick etc but the ages of the guys above give vert a LOT of hope I think

jedi

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30 PM »
a point well made but whee's the foundation of younguns  :)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36 PM »

yeah, i've took the boys to corby twice in the last three weeks, both times the vert has been

empty and the rest of the park packed, real shame that these kids wont give it a go :(
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 10:44 PM »

yeah, i've took the boys to corby twice in the last three weeks, both times the vert has been

empty and the rest of the park packed, real shame that these kids wont give it a go :(

Dan, give your Bill a back hander and get him on vert!

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 11:46 PM »

Daz.

well tbh daz he's the only one out of all his mates who will ride it, he airs it not to bad :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07 PM »

Daz.

well tbh daz he's the only one out of all his mates who will ride it, he airs it not to bad :daumenhoch:

Good on him too!

Once he gets used to it and if he rides it more and more he'd fly!

We need more young vert riders!

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 02:53 PM »
perhaps we should petition corby, they are building a new park in autumn 2011 with £5million! , the vert will be a L shape with a foam pit  :daumenhoch:

but what i think they need is an extra 11ft ramp with resi, this can be a steppping stone to the big ramp

most of the current vert riders started off on smaller ramps  :)

toys19

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Anyone who can ride vert gets my vote, so all of you lot "only" busting out two foot are going in the right direction. I'm sure that plenty of people want to watch vert? 

I seem to remember Tim Ruck (who gets funding for and builds skateparks) told me that lots councils wont give permission for vert in their skatepark, they only want mini ramps, so that could be part of the problem.. (Although I might have misunderstood what Tim was telling me)

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 11:22 PM »
yeah me, paul m and the young brighton shredders!

come down mate always a good sesh

ps the L shaped vert is a vert with a resi one end and a foam pit  :daumenhoch: the other end

PaulM

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22 PM »
8.30 to 10.30pm, see you there...

Cheers

Paul

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Good to see you there last night buddy   :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 04:01 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

I had to get back to Romford, so only J29 for me.  I was ok, but I did see a fella in a big Merc saloon spin gracefully around in front of me. He looked terrified, bless 'im.

I love snow, me   :daumenhoch:

Sean 2000

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Gettin back from Charlton to Leigh-on-Sea was great fun in the impreza.........i love snow!  :daumenhoch:

Will defo get up there for a vert session some time soon.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 09:09 PM »
 took us 4 hours to get back to brighton  :P

9 car pile up, stuck for 2 hours we had to ration out a packet of pringles, started to get very bored, steve made a cock out of snow

my front tyres were pretty bald and i had to drive very carefully! so i got new ones saturday, rear wheel drive cars were proper fooked

so whos going monday?  :LolLolLolLol:

PaulM

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Refering back to Marks original question, I would say in my opinion that vert isnt dying.... yet.

Long gone are the days in which a vert comp could be held in a field with hundreds of spectators and a good number of different ability riders ready to lay it down before killing themselves, as DJ correctly said there are amazing up and coming riders such as Vince Byron, Coco, Austin Coleman etc and I think people like these will carry on killing it and progressing vert but I dont think there is enough coming through overall (especially in the UK), the number of riders is just dwindelling slowly.

To most people (especially kids) vert is just too scary, the ramps are too big and it isn't as fun to ride as the smaller park orientated stuff, It takes patience and practice that they just dont wanna put in and I can see how that would be boring, they can go and ride smaller stuff and start learning tricks straight away which keeps them interested so therefore they stay with doing that.

I believe a lot of riders can def switch from what they do now and would become real good on vert if they stuck with it instead of just nibbling at it but I guess its just not fun for them which is why they dont do it, they are kind of spoilt in a way with a vast variety of other obstacles to ride without having to settle for riding the big scary ramp which is how it would seem it used to be years back where at many places that was all you had to ride. I've seen riders such as Mark Webb, Dean Cueson, Ryan Nyquist and others ride vert and they do ride it well, i'd love to imagine how good they'd be if if they stuck at it seriously!

I used to ride a bit of everything years ago, dirt, miniramp, vert etc but the more I rode vert the more I stuck with it and started enjoying it especially with reasonably easy access to a number of different ramps, so definatley the more ramps available then the more they'll get ridden, the ramps being bulit lately are only big so as to keep up with the rest of the world and progression of the sport, Corby, Mount Hawk, etc. I like the idea of having small and big vert ramps together at the same parks as this would be an ideal opportunity to keep stepping up and improving, such as Woodward which already have that kind of facility (hence so many good American based riders!)

I hope vert doesn't die as I love it, so come on people, man up, dig them pads out and give it a bash, you might like it!

Cheers

Paul

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 02:25 AM »
Well said buddy   :daumenhoch:

See you next Wednesday   :)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2009, 06:59 AM »

about time paul had a wobble at woodward  ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Vert? A dying sport?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx