gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975592 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 03, 2024, 09:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  80s style
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 80s style  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
80s style
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:59 PM »
OK what brands had the style factor bitd , what brands were using brand image and look to best effect ,not best product but best style

for me it was SE racing , camo before it was cool, baby blue bikes , tan bikes the image was great and was the best imho

discuss lol

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: 80s style
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04 PM »
for me it had to be GT and the flying banana......big bold and bright  :daumenhoch:

i never ever saw an SE BITD  :-\

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Skyway had it covered in the mid 80's with all the different colour tuff II's, also the green/orange/white Streetbeat and then with the two-tone Streetbeat  :4_17_5:

monkian

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27 PM »
I remember the first time I saw Eddie Fiola, all in yellow on his GT, on the cover of a magazine in our (little) village shop.
Blew my tiny mind. It was as if he was from a different planet man :D :shocked:

The Raleigh Team Colours had a big impact on me and Skyway products always seemed super cool 8)
Was it me or did all American BMX seem to speak of West Coast Sunshine?

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Mongoose (A la Ruffell)

And SE  :smitten:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I always loved the mean and moody looking Diamond Back bikes, the adverts in the magazines always made me want a DB (although I never owned one BITD, so couldn't have been that great  ;) ;D )

oldsnow

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57 AM »
id agree with moose skyway was big'n'brash from the states and was heavily marketed !  :angel:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 01:19 AM »
white skyway with white skyway's :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ding dong

electobooty

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20 AM »
has to be SE and skyway, and together for full effect iconic

saw roni size on a pk with skyways at a tribal gathering long time back that got me back into this

mark 2

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40 AM »
Defo the red , white and blue of skyway, it was every kids dream to have that american lifestyle and those clean colours summed it up.

telelogic

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Haro always had a great feeling for the zeitgeist.

the flying banana rocked hard!

But the chrome and stars of the Hutch company always blew my tiny mind :D I don't think I ever saw one in the flesh, they always struck me as the Rolls Royce of early 80's BMX.

sweetbeats

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Haro's design,early graphics set the bench mark,real tasty stuff.
Hutch was just sex loved the adverts in BMX Action,like REDLINE as well really iconic bikes and cranks,mongoose love the font and look really simple and tidy.
Skyway gotta love a TA and the logo is timeless.
Really like Race Inc as well the blue decals on gold anno looks sassy  :4_17_5:
Not a big SE Fan but love the winged logo's and baby blue rippers look hot.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11 PM »
I always loved the mean and moody looking Diamond Back bikes, the adverts in the magazines always made me want a DB (although I never owned one BITD, so couldn't have been that great  ;) ;D )

:daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

baldbmxer

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 04:47 PM »
The early Haro graphics were just the coolest. The crisp fresh designs where the best.

Although Haro didnt invent number plates, gloves, mouth guards, 'leathers'  they're spin of such items was always so innovative, clean and fresh.

Favourites include..... early race kit - tops, pants, gloves, race plates - all of them!, Mouth traps and bsically the HARO chevron logo  :4_17_5:

Me in my first full year of racing back in 84'

Fellow radder Big Plinky sporting possibly the best hoody EVER. Simple with the chevron logo on the front.

Also Bell helmets. Especially the Moto4 and Mag 4. Great designs that encompassed everything a helmet should. Style and safety.

and then later, the Zeronine race kit. Although I really liked the early Zeronine race kit the colourful 'Zeronine shapes'  gear was do fresh on the race scene at the time. It was selling out over here in the UK and it wasnt cheap at all!! Hotwheels saw to that!!!! LOL. Whether you got the kit in black or white it just oozed style. Combine it with a JT ALS helmet and you were good to go.

Gossa here had the 'full house' The graphics where awesome through the kit and into the bikes. Gossa has an Echo helmet here but later changed it for a Bell Mag 4 in black with the Zeronine graphics. fecking great!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:24 PM by baldbmxer »

baldbmxer

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Oh and I'm forgetting Oakley!

Where would any action sports be without Oakley! but the classic Oakley stuff is just the best. Again simple clear graphics and a slogan 'FACTORY PILOT' - WOW, does it get any better? An the company was named after his dog! Cool? ............ no way SUB ZERO!

magna13

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:15 PM »
One of the key reasons why me as a 13 year old boy at the time got into Old School BMX just for that first picture, it really did look like a motocross rider on a push bike, it emphasised the meaning of Bicycle Motocross. fantastic. :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:18 PM by magna13 »

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Oh and I'm forgetting Oakley!

Where would any action sports be without Oakley! but the classic Oakley stuff is just the best. Again simple clear graphics and a slogan 'FACTORY PILOT' - WOW, does it get any better? An the company was named after his dog! Cool? ............ no way SUB ZERO!

"almost an unfair advantage"

Grab On marketed well BITD, grab on 2s rocked like fook! n CW also did a crack job on replacing almost every set of bars on almost every bike in 83, Zap Pads did well too if i remember rightly along with kool stop blocks n zeronine plates:daumenhoch: there were actually loadsa different phazes for certain parts when ya think about it, thats whats missing this time round :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:22 PM by OrgasmDonor »

sweetbeats

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46 PM »
The early Haro graphics were just the coolest. The crisp fresh designs where the best.

Although Haro didnt invent number plates, gloves, mouth guards, 'leathers'  they're spin of such items was always so innovative, clean and fresh.

Favourites include..... early race kit - tops, pants, gloves, race plates - all of them!, Mouth traps and bsically the HARO chevron logo  :4_17_5:

Me in my first full year of racing back in 84'

Fellow radder Big Plinky sporting possibly the best hoody EVER. Simple with the chevron logo on the front.

Also Bell helmets. Especially the Moto4 and Mag 4. Great designs that encompassed everything a helmet should. Style and safety.

and then later, the Zeronine race kit. Although I really liked the early Zeronine race kit the colourful 'Zeronine shapes'  gear was do fresh on the race scene at the time. It was selling out over here in the UK and it wasnt cheap at all!! Hotwheels saw to that!!!! LOL. Whether you got the kit in black or white it just oozed style. Combine it with a JT ALS helmet and you were good to go.

Gossa here had the 'full house' The graphics where awesome through the kit and into the bikes. Gossa has an Echo helmet here but later changed it for a Bell Mag 4 in black with the Zeronine graphics. fecking great!

All the gear and no idea  :LolLolLolLol:
Only messin' Kool kit indeed  :daumenhoch:

baldbmxer

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »

Only messin' Kool kit indeed  :daumenhoch:

What do you mean Sweatbeads?

I think, in fact I know,  all the brands and the riders mentioned in my post have the credentials and more for this thread. Why do you think otherwise  ???

sweetbeats

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00 AM »

What do you mean Sweatbeads?

I think, in fact I know,  all the brands and the riders mentioned in my post have the credentials and more for this thread. Why do you think otherwise  ???

"Only messin' Kool kit indeed"
I think that give's it away. :-\
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:07 AM by sweetbeats™ »

Rodgy1970

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Vans checkerboard slip ons, always wanted a pair when I was a kid, thought they were the dogs, had some Adidas Kick instead  :-\

baldbmxer

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Thought this thread was about 80's Style!

So where does Kool Kit come into that? ......... no disrespect to Julie Carey, ne Woodward and her Mum who used to make it!  :LolLolLolLol:

Whether you;re comment was 'tongue in cheek' or not Kool Kit race gear had nothing to do with style!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

sweetbeats

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Vans checkerboard slip ons, always wanted a pair when I was a kid, thought they were the dogs, had some Adidas Kick instead  :-\

Adidas Kick rocked...had a few pairs to play out in  ;)
Never owned a pair of vans either,had a shitty yes helmet and a hotshot race top I think it was called ,tight geordie jeans -plop as well.
Always wanted them cool blue leather Haro gloves but had no chance on my paper round money  :-\

sweetbeats

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Thought this thread was about 80's Style!

So where does Kool Kit come into that? ......... no disrespect to Julie Carey, ne Woodward and her Mum who used to make it!  :LolLolLolLol:

Whether you;re comment was 'tongue in cheek' or not Kool Kit race gear had nothing to do with style!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

I refer to good gear (bikes,clothes,hifi etc) as kool kit..always have done...so think we may have got lost in translation fella  ;D

Juju

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Before I ever bought a magazine about bmx bikes, back in ooh, about 1981, my Pirhana was in for repair at the bike shop round the corner, and there was a Diamond Back Team Pro, chrome plated chromo frame with big diamond cut out gussett, , elextric blue parts, including alloy bars, those sweet 3pc sugino maxy cross style DB cranks, and blue snakebellys. It blew me away with its "exoticness" when all the cheap bikes in the shop like mine, (and this is pre Raleigh, ect) were epoxy/stove enammelled mild steel! That snake decal, that "imported" exoticness, that huge price tag, when dad had paid £39k for a detached 4 bed non estate house with views of the south downs, and there was a kids bike for only 1/1000 of that price.  Indeed, 10 DB Team pro's would have bought you a new mini!

Exactly like the ones in the DB adverts with the silver painted background!   I was a DB fan from there on!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  80s style

gfxgfx
gfx gfx