gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975560 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 01:45 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Skyway Graphites.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Graphites.  (Read 4749 times)

theskywayman

Skyway Graphites.
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Hello all.

I flew back to the UK last night at the last minute. I stayed with my Mother and finally got into the garage this morning to hunt for my Skyway and Raleigh Aero Pro Burner. The Skyway was there but the Raleigh is not. My Mum believes that she moved it with her when she moved but its not to be seen.

The Skyway is shot to pieces with rust although it remained in good working order-miraculously. I took the bike to be dismantled at my local bike shop this morning. Unbelievably he knew a local chap that bought old bmx's. I have now sold the bike to him as I have purchased a new chrome Skyway TA from a member on here. I have kept the wheels as they cost my Mum a packet years ago.

Unfortunately the hubs on my Skyway Graphite wheels have lost their gold. The gold behind the freewheel however is as new. Does anyone know what colour Gold paint I need to touch them up? It is a yellowish gold. I will get them painted professionaly.

Regards Jack.

mark 2

Re: Skyway Graphites.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:36 PM »
One of the plastic-cote paints is quite a good match, could be gold leaf or antique, something like that.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:39 PM »
as mark says, some model shops sell transparent paint in a aerosol that is a good replica for anodice...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:10 PM »
You sold your old bike from bitd?

Any pics?

trasher

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 05:12 PM »
should have sold it to someone on here  :-\

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 05:50 PM »
just out of interest how much did he pay ?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:33 PM »

You sold your old bike from bitd?

:shocked:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:51 PM »

Is it a cardinal sin to sell your own bike then?

yes  :'(

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:34 PM »

how much did you sell it to ginger munners for ?

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46 PM »
the scribbles will be the carbon content, the graphite was used in differing quantitys for different qualitys , so stiffer wheels ,stronger etc . now you have some lovely wheels there it would be well worth getting the flanges re annoed. its something that can be done , the rivets need taking out and the flanges redone by paul at custom colour annodising , then re do the rivets,can and has been done before

and to answer your question , yes if any of us had our own bitd bike we would be happy bunnys

Offline ORANGEZIPPY

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:57 PM »

Hello and Welcome,

cant believe you sold your bike  :LolLolLolLol:

(Just dont sell any more bits).

i've seen Original Skyway Grafs go for anything between £300-£1000. (i reckon yours are no more than £350 until restored).

You have 2nd gen ones, but the bearings look different to mine ?

Yours could do with a decent re ano, i'd suggest dont bother doing yourself or painting, just pay someone decent to do what Waxin suggested, and get them drilled and re ano'd, or just leave as is ?

One question, why didn't you get your old bike re-chromed instead on buying the diffrent one ?  i'd think about calling Nick up and saying does he want to buy your new one, and take your old one back as a px  :knuppel2:

ozone

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:29 AM »
£300 which I was happy with as it goes towards the new frame. I did mention this site to him and he said that he was once a member on here. His name is Nick and he lives around the corner in Cobham in Surrey, tall and bald.

Im not sure if I will be able to match the hub colour? I will join photbucket and get some pictures up for you to see tonight.

This has to be a wind-up.  In the other thread, the gay pensioner told you what your old bike was worth, broken up, and you sold it to some random guy for £300.  Are you sure you're not Nick having a laugh at the vultures on here.   ???

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 07:32 AM »
£300 which I was happy with as it goes towards the new frame. I did mention this site to him and he said that he was once a member on here. His name is Nick and he lives around the corner in Cobham in Surrey, tall and bald.

Im not sure if I will be able to match the hub colour? I will join photbucket and get some pictures up for you to see tonight.

This has to be a wind-up.  In the other thread, the gay pensioner told you what your old bike was worth, broken up, and you sold it to some random guy for £300.  Are you sure you're not Nick having a laugh at the vultures on here.   ???

ditto!!!

just doesnt sound right to me!
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Yes we know Nick, again out of interest what other parts did it have on it? most on here would pay dearly for thier own bike bitd as for most of us its a holy grail.

rust can be removed and parts brought back to life, frames rechromed and anything is possible.

those wheels as is are worth 300- 400 hundred quid.. and if your old bike had other good parts , cranks? pedals? it was worth more that 300 but your happy so all is good.

i guess when you try to buy other parts to complete your skyway you will see what thats all about.

trasher

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 08:43 AM »
so munners got a ta flight cranks monkey bars and other top end parts for £300  :buck2:
Are you sure he wasn't wearing a mask at the time

martylaa

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 09:24 AM »
this thread is bullshi-

ozone

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Sorry to dissapoint you both but my name is Jack and I live in Nicosia, Cyprus. I was born in Weybridge, Surrey.

I had numerous people contact me with regards to purchasing my Skyway. The money aspect was irrelevant to me. I neither have the knowledge or time to sell bike parts. Besides I dont even have paypal to receive money.

Nick met me at The monument in Weybridge and we did the deal yesterday afternoon. The frame was brown with rust, the pedals scuffed at the ends and the brakes did not release properly. Money for old rope is how I would describe it so I am happy with the deal.

I gather you know Nick then? Well over 6 ft, bald, ginger and glasses.

Fair enough.  Don't suppose you have any pics of the bike from BITD or from when you dug it out of you mums shed?   :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Sorry fella, but you're bonkers  :idiot2:

If ya build up that NOS TA Frame and Forks that Phantom had ... then it will be a travesty.... there can't be many NOS TA's left on the planet and it will instantly become just another TA as soon as ya build it. Not to mention de-value it.

Spending that kinda money you would have been better restoring YOUR original bike... which had YOUR history. Or if yoU didn't feel up to THE TASK, pay someone to do it for you.

R.I.P NOS TA Frameset  :'(

Just my opinion, but wanted to voice it  :daumenhoch:

John

ozone

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Are you hanging the wheels on your wall too?  Seems pointless messing around with the wheels if you're not building a bike.  Nick would probably have offered you £20 for them so I'm prepared to double that.  As you're not too bothered about the money am I right in assuming we have a deal @ £40.   ;D

martylaa

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 11:25 AM »
you find your original bmx, has some nice bits on it, yet you sell it to fund a nos skyway ta which your going to build up
sorry mate but its just wrong on 2 fronts, selling ya original and building up a nos, just my 2 cents worth

donkeybambam

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28 AM »
mate i will give you £150 for the wheels  :daumenhoch:.....As they are.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Im sorry John but if you ask Iain I have no intention of building the Skyway TA up that he has sold to me. I intend to hang that on my wall. I have no interest in building bikes.

I feel better about this now but I'm confused as to why you want to restore the graphites if you're not doin a build  :idiot2:
... seems a bit pointless really?

John

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 12:06 PM »

micks a good lad just ginger, will be interesting to see how much he can get  for it all

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22 PM »
You dont need to justify your actions, your bike to do as you please with. however you have sold 7- 800 quids worth of bike to someone for 300 quid who will probably sell it on as he dosent collect anymore ( his words not mine) you asked value on a dedicated old bmx web site,and you were told an honest ammount. for that honesty you sold somewhere else when you had a captive audience who A. would have given you a fair price B. would have restored it not sold it on and C were the same people you asked to help in the first place.

so i am not suprised that you are getting some flack to be honest.

as for your graphites, I am sure someone would at a cost restore them for you, you could have made it a lot easier if you had parts to trade for the service as the work takes a lot of man hours ,parts always make that effort more justifiable rather than trying to charge cash for a lenghty job.

I think that you are feeling that people are having a go , but they are not , they are passionate about this hobby and dont like to see someone lose thier old ride.

Rich   

trasher

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 12:35 PM »
mate i will give you £150 for the wheels  :daumenhoch:.....As they are.

Nicks best mate ,mmmmm I smell a rat   :2funny:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Skyway Graphites.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx