gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 01:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  What's this headset? and why is my fork crown all wierd???........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's this headset? and why is my fork crown all wierd???........  (Read 1742 times)

skidmark

Got this headset on a bike and just wondered if anybody recognised it? ??? the allen bolt on the lock ring is imperial size!! and...

These fork have got something wierd goin on with the crown, Ive taken a crown race off it and thats whats left :wtf:

They're early S&M Ditchforks.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
the headset is two diferent parts, in your picture the bits on the right are from a Tioga Beartrap II and the bit on the left looks like a headset locking nut of some sort.

as for the forks? they look like they've got another crown race on them  ;D

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Remnants of a beartrap 2 on the right & what might be a dk ? headlock on the left .

Not sure what's goin' on with yer forks ( look a bit modified maybe ) .

skidmark

I had a feeling it might be a DK headlock, the frame's got a DK sticker on it too. Cheers fellas!
The crown race still has me stumped though, the steerer seems to have two steps to put the crown onto ???

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
are they clamp on forks or threaded?  maybe it's a mod so it can be either 1" clamp on or 1 1/8?

could be way out though  ;D

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
defo a dk locknut mate :daumenhoch:

skidmark

defo a dk locknut mate :daumenhoch:

Nice one matey :daumenhoch:

The forks are 1" threaded S&M Ditchforks...I'll chuck a post on mid school, see if someone can throw us a line ???

Thanks guys!

fouronethreeoh!

Looks like someones used the forks without a bearing race.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Looks like someones used the forks without a bearing race.

bingo.

had a couple of them that have had the dumb-ass treatment.
ding dong

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
didn't hutch do one of them headlocks too?
ding dong

skidmark

Fellas, you were right about them having had a little dumbass treatment!! It sounded too dumb to be true but the aparent second crown was just mushed steerer tube :idiot2:

I chisled off the overhanging metal and filed it smooth....can't believe it molded the steel like putty!... made it look like a separate ring of metal.

Anyway mystery solved :daumenhoch:

ozone

Unbelievable that someone would do that.  I bet the steering was as smooth as gravel when it was being used.  :uglystupid2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  What's this headset? and why is my fork crown all wierd???........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx