gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 09:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  30 Years of BMX in the UK
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 30 Years of BMX in the UK  (Read 73476 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
30 Years of BMX in the UK
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Did anyone remember that BMX in the UK started 30 years ago this year!!!!!!
I wasnt at the very first race, in fact my first race was 1981, but how many RAD members did race in 1980?
I can think of a couple.

Lets make this thread a celebration of the first 12 months of UKBMX, post some pics, stories, old articles etc.....

Oh and a big thanks to the pioneers.

Don Smith
Andy Ruffell
Malcolm Jarvis
Alan Woods
Dave Young
Cav Strutt
Richard Barrington etc...
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
Re: 30 Years of BMX in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27 PM »
This was 5 years before I started but I applaud them all  :coolsmiley: :Great_Britain:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56 PM »
rats, do you remember an eastway meet when capital radio was there, that was my first race,

1980 or 81? :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58 PM »
rats, do you remember an eastway meet when capital radio was there, that was my first race,

1980 or 81? :daumenhoch:
The gig when Nikki Matthews dressed up as lady di?
 :daumenhoch:

Rooonga

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I'm not sure of my 1st race (think it was prob Buckmore park,) but the1st one I do remember clearly was indoors at Picketts Lock.

Anyone remember that?

Can't remember the year though.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I missed the race at Eastway which was on the same day as the Royal wedding, but I`d been to a race there before that, and the one at Buckmore Park that was on the go-cart track with wooden jumps because the track was too muddy, I know they were early but I`m not sure when  ???

Pickets Lock was either late 1982 or early 1983, well around xmas time anyway  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I'm not sure of my 1st race (think it was prob Buckmore park,) but the1st one I do remember clearly was indoors at Picketts Lock.

Anyone remember that?

Can't remember the year though.
My first race was at Buckmore Park, but Pickets Lock must have been late 82 or 83, after I gave up Paul :daumenhoch:

Offline Darren Wood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Pickets Lock was JAN 83 Simon Hayes had the first KUWAHARA lazer lite in the country imported by a JAP company in Kensignton High street  :coolsmiley:

And i got second in the Novice FREESTYLE  ;D That fooking shit quatre pipe

WOODY

PS got pickets lock on VHS

Rooonga

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:41 PM »
If you can get it onto DVD I would love a copy!

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26 AM »
I missed the race at Eastway which was on the same day as the Royal wedding, but I`d been to a race there before that, and the one at Buckmore Park that was on the go-cart track with wooden jumps because the track was too muddy, I know they were early but I`m not sure when  ???

Pickets Lock was either late 1982 or early 1983, well around xmas time anyway  :daumenhoch:
picketts lock was jan 83 and the race you are on about at buckmore that was too muddy i'm pretty sure was the second race held there the first one being on the proper track  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45 AM »
early pic of me jumping the tabletop at buckmore, 80/81 ? with some one, Billy ? in what looks like a Team Taylor top sitting by the side of it

Sithom

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05 PM »
started racing at rom skatepark in 81-82 with people like danny stabielle,, martin jose,fraser campbell and craig,,,,,, john vile , john stockwell ,,michel and kevin rivier,,,wayne and gary lewellen remember billy stupple juming out of the 4 leaf clover jumping the half ripped down fence and landing on the bmx track thought that was amazing,,,, ha and then there was brettons farm where there was nationals held(swheeps nationals)(me dad and a few of his mates built that track,,, jason and paul spur from superbike,,and his mum and sister,,sorry jas if you read this,, ha ) remember pickets lock well it,s where the fella can remember his name set the record for the longest wheelie,, then all the kellogs series  over hounslow,hayes etc used to race with lee restall, michael chinery,chico hooke,,, louis mears that was my age group,,,,,,the buckmore park summer series ,,,used to race against sam jarvis he was my age used to go buckmore alot,,,went to the euro,s in dijon  cant remember what year then the worlds at slagharen,,,,, got a good team picture of the gb squad that day will post when i konow how to,,,

gave up in 87 me last race was when went worlds in florida in 87
kool

simon thomerson
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:09 PM by Sithom »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:22 PM »
i remember the indoor track at the earls court bike show back in about 81 i think, could've been even earlier!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I think BMX started in the UK at least 18 months or more before 1981.  Peter Pearce and Andy Roker had their Mongoose's in late 79, I got my first Scorpion in late 79/early 80 (can't be sure  ::) ) and raced at one of the first Buckmore Park races in 1980 on wooden ramps on the old go-kart track and then in December on a very muddy and wet Buckmore Park track.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

kdubbmx

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 06:58 PM »
The first Buckmore race was early 1980 and it was on the Dirt Track, Later in the year we went back there for the second race there and it was very wet and the organisers decided to use the Tarmac Go-Kart track with wooden jumps, when i arrived there were several kids practising on the dirt track and they were completely covered in mud and weren't too happy when they were told the race was on the Tarmac!!   ;D

I raced 14's and got 3rd behind Andy Ruffell and Sean Day (another Mongoose rider).  :)

Picketts Lock Lee Cooper race was in Jan 83, Craig Strong won the wheelie contest and we all got on news at 10 riding round.
I've got a great picture on my facebook of the 16+ main hitting the first jump with Me, Andy Ruffell And Tim March on the jump with Mark 'Sid' Salisbury just behind us   :Great_Britain:

Earls Court was in 81 and also 82, Stu Thomsen came to the 81 race and Gave me his Trophy and his Bike and picked me to be on the Redline Team!   :4_17_5:

kdubbmx

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Kev Rivierre was in my motos at Earls Court 1981 and also in my motos at the 2010 Brits a few weeks ago!!!!!

He was hard to beat both times  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :knuppel2:

Sithom

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 09:03 PM »
slagharen worlds 1983 (CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43 PM »
early pic of me jumping the tabletop at buckmore, 80/81 ? with some one, Billy ? in what looks like a Team Taylor top sitting by the side of it

Yeah that could be me Andy, I did ride for Team Taylor before meeting up with Chris and the rest of you down Sydenham way  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 10:22 PM »
The first Buckmore race was early 1980 and it was on the Dirt Track, Later in the year we went back there for the second race there and it was very wet and the organisers decided to use the Tarmac Go-Kart track with wooden jumps, when i arrived there were several kids practising on the dirt track and they were completely covered in mud and weren't too happy when they were told the race was on the Tarmac!!   ;D

I raced 14's and got 3rd behind Andy Ruffell and Sean Day (another Mongoose rider).  :)

Picketts Lock Lee Cooper race was in Jan 83, Craig Strong won the wheelie contest and we all got on news at 10 riding round.
I've got a great picture on my facebook of the 16+ main hitting the first jump with Me, Andy Ruffell And Tim March on the jump with Mark 'Sid' Salisbury just behind us   :Great_Britain:

Earls Court was in 81 and also 82, Stu Thomsen came to the 81 race and Gave me his Trophy and his Bike and picked me to be on the Redline Team!   :4_17_5:
Earls Court was also 83  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Yeah that could be me Andy, I did ride for Team Taylor before meeting up with Chris and the rest of you down Sydenham way  :daumenhoch:

i actually met you before i met chris, was up on black heath dips if you remember  :daumenhoch: summer 80 ??
i met chris a few months later
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:19 PM by RATTY »

kdubbmx

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 10:32 PM »

Only 2 riders had the factory Redline kit in the UK then so thats either me behind you or my team mate Gary Willats.

kdubbmx

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 10:35 PM »
slagharen worlds 1983 (CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE)

Kid on the far left is Darren Page (factory Torker) he's 40 now!!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57 PM »

actually met you before i met chris, was up on black heath dips if you remember  :daumenhoch: summer 80 ??
i met chris a few months later
[/quote]

Yeah I started off on the Blackheath dips, then started hanging around Lee Green with the Taylors, then on to Sydenham with you lot, happy days  :daumenhoch:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10 PM »
started racing at rom skatepark in 81-82 with people like danny stabielle,, martin jose,fraser campbell and craig,,,,,, john vile , john stockwell ,,michel and kevin rivier,,,wayne and gary lewellen remember billy stupple juming out of the 4 leaf clover jumping the half ripped down fence and landing on the bmx track thought that was amazing,,,, ha and then there was brettons farm where there was nationals held(swheeps nationals)(me dad and a few of his mates built that track,,, jason and paul spur from superbike,,and his mum and sister,,sorry jas if you read this,, ha ) remember pickets lock well it,s where the fella can remember his name set the record for the longest wheelie,, then all the kellogs series  over hounslow,hayes etc used to race with lee restall, michael chinery,chico hooke,,, louis mears that was my age group,,,,,,the buckmore park summer series ,,,used to race against sam jarvis he was my age used to go buckmore alot,,,went to the euro,s in dijon  cant remember what year then the worlds at slagharen,,,,, got a good team picture of the gb squad that day will post when i konow how to,,,

gave up in 87 me last race was when went worlds in florida in 87
kool

simon thomerson

A race at Rom, no idea who I`m racing against  :crazy2:

kdubbmx

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Trevor Shanks and Glen Littlechild, two Walthamstow locals.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  30 Years of BMX in the UK

gfxgfx
gfx gfx