gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 11, 2024, 11:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *  (Read 23442 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:50 PM »
OK,
I've got a few threads going on at the moment reference this project, i though it would be easier just to stick all under one roof  :daumenhoch:

I put a shout out in the wanted section for a CW Freestyler way back in August 2009, Emerbmx answered my call (thx Johan  :daumenhoch: ) The bike he had was a stickered a CW Flyer, wasn't exactley what i was after but these CW's don't seem to come up that often  ::)

Went upto London to collect ,The Frame, Forks and Bars were in a pretty good state, had no seat by this time, but the other bits were a little battered and bruised, Front Fork pegs were battered, Rear Frame Pegs had overspray on them from where the rims had been painted and the tyres where badly cracked

She stayed in the garage in this state until a few weeks ago when i decided enough was enough so started stripping back the parts to see what could be used and wot couldn't for this build,
Stripped the frame back to its Raw state, still a little more to do with her before i can get polished up.

Need to get all this paint out

Nice details on frame & Forks still

Forks & Rear Dropouts are pretty good

After doing a bit of homework found out that the frame number dictates that i has a Cali Boulevard not a flyer..fookin result  :)

Bars have a bit of pittin and surface rust but nothing too bad.

Rear Pegs have had a little attention from me and are beginning to get to a point where i can start polishing getting them ready for a rechrome,

After putting up a recent thread on here about whether or not to get the frame, forks & bars chromed before having the powder put over the top the bike will be done chromed and then powdered (post on the left (Thx ED209 for sending some old bent posts down to SBD and thx SBD for turning them around so quick)

I've thought long and hard about this and though doing this is gonna cost me an arm and a leg & the F&F and bars will have to be polished to within and inch of there lives before going off to chrome I think it will be worth it, Bars will be stayin chrome  :daumenhoch:

This should be be heading down to Custom Metal Polishers in Portsmouth Wednesday this week and will be turned around in approx 3 weeks, emplained that i want the serial number and any other markins left well alone  :knuppel2:

When back probably off to Hockley Chromers along with a Tuff Neck Power Disc and some Araya 7X and hubs...

Keep you posted how this all works out.
Al  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:17 PM by jamroll »

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: CW Cali Boulevard Resto
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:53 PM »
sounds stunning, cant wait to see this done  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13 PM »
+1  ;)

good choice with the chrome  8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:18 PM by fischflo »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:25 AM »
+1  ;)

good choice with the chrome  8)

+2 deffo a good choice.

Quirky little frame and fork set that, love the bars - they were my favs bitd and thanks to Harorider I am also the proud owner of a set of them  :daumenhoch: . But mine are white, they may turn chrome but I am undecided  ::).

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Was there another frame that was almost identical to that?(no CW stamping)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:18 PM »

Hutchman, I think your right. I do remember seeing a frame not too long ago that looks bloody similar to this one, not sure about the overall dimensions being the same, but I think the foot stand was almost identical....I'll have a hunt around for a pic  ::)

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22 PM »

Hutchman, I think your right. I do remember seeing a frame not too long ago that looks bloody similar to this one, not sure about the overall dimensions being the same, but I think the foot stand was almost identical....I'll have a hunt around for a pic  ::)

I've got one gathering dust under the bed,but has some nasty grinding on the rear end of the chain stays,remember being told it was where the standing platforms had been removed.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Can't wait to see this bad boy all painted up...  It will be to nice to build  :4_17_5:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Can't wait to see this bad boy all painted up...  It will be to nice to build  :4_17_5:

Nervous about the build tbh  ???, can you imagine wot state I'm gonna be in tapping in the bearing cups after this paint job  :uglystupid2:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:48 PM »
get em pressed in by the LBS  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 01:16 PM »
get em pressed in by the LBS  :daumenhoch:

LBS, que?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:34 PM »

Local Bike Shop

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 02:16 PM »

Local Bike Shop

:uglystupid2: fookin hell, duuuuuugh

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I thought it was Large Ball Sack?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45 PM »
fingers crossed on the chroming fella,its a fookin lottery i tell thee.i cant wait to see this one finished,ive always  :smitten: cw's in all shapes and forms
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 05:07 PM »

Thing is though - how much do you trust your local bike shop with your new frame after it's been through approximately £400 worth of resto work  ?  :-\ :shocked:

Think i'd be putting the bearing cups in myself maybe with the help of a mate if you need a spare set of hands in the process  ;)

Here's how I do it..........

1. Use a dremmel to clean the insides of the bottom bracket hanger of any overspray.
2. Pop the bearing cups in a food baggy and sit them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
3. Grease the bottom bracket hanger & the cups.
4. Give them a gentle tap with a rubber or wooden mallet to start them off.
5. Press them in using a home made press ( short length of 10mm threaded bar with some drilled thick plate and a couple of 10mm washers & nuts)

Simple  :)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35 PM »

Thing is though - how much do you trust your local bike shop with your new frame after it's been through approximately £400 worth of resto work  ?  :-\ :shocked:

Think i'd be putting the bearing cups in myself maybe with the help of a mate if you need a spare set of hands in the process  ;)

Here's how I do it..........

1. Use a dremmel to clean the insides of the bottom bracket hanger of any overspray.
2. Pop the bearing cups in a food baggy and sit them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
3. Grease the bottom bracket hanger & the cups.
4. Give them a gentle tap with a rubber or wooden mallet to start them off.
5. Press them in using a home made press ( short length of 10mm threaded bar with some drilled thick plate and a couple of 10mm washers & nuts)

Simple  :)

Its not so much the money spent on the restoration of the f,f's and bars, though at close to £400 obviously it wouldbe an issue , its more the time and effort that has and will go into this...I've only ever built one other bike before this and that was pretty straight forward, this shouldn't really be any different....just a little more expensive!!!
Appreciate the offer of a hand when pressing the cups, but I'm down Pompey way dude...you up Manchester aint you???

Offline Darren Wood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 02:59 PM »
fingers crossed on the chroming fella,its a fookin lottery i tell thee.i cant wait to see this one finished,ive always  :smitten: cw's in all shapes and forms

Mark when you say i"ve always  :smitten: cw"s in all shapes and forms ? I do hope you mean the bike and not COCKS and WILLIES in all shapes and forms  ;D

ps can"t wait to see the bike i am doing one the same colourway with the CHROME   :coolsmiley:

Nice one WOODY

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 06:40 PM »
 :knuppel2: :-*    :LolLolLolLol:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:05 PM »
well, no going back now :daumenhoch:
Bike is in with Custom Metal Polishers in Portsmouth for a mirror polish and chroming...back in 2 weeks  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :smitten:
Place actual premises is a bit of a shithole but had some lovely bits around i could see that i may have found a decent place to get work done.
Got some araya 7x rims being polished  & chromed, along with a Tuf Neck Power Disc, Renthal Seat Post, and the Original CW rear pegs  ::)
Thinking bout getting the suzue hubs done as well....thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:10 PM by jamroll »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 08:03 PM »

Bike in for mirror polish

Could you not just candy over the polished frame ? May not be quite as bling-a-ding-ding as the chrome underneath but surely better than silver powder underneath - especially if it's being professionally polished  :-\

Just a thought  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 08:56 PM »

Bike in for mirror polish

Could you not just candy over the polished frame ? May not be quite as bling-a-ding-ding as the chrome underneath but surely better than silver powder underneath - especially if it's being professionally polished  :-\

Just a thought  :daumenhoch:

If a job is worth doin, its worth doin right  :daumenhoch:
Besides Boba, price was a little better than expected, all the work above for under £250 including the chroming  ::) old school triple layer chroming aswell  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:00 PM by jamroll »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37 PM »

Fair enough mate - you are a man on a mission  :LolLolLolLol:

But hats off to you for that - it will look fantastic  :coolsmiley:

:daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 11:44 PM »
nice work jamroll - looking forward to seeing this almost as much as Ed's   ;D

only joking mate it's gonna bling, put some pics up as soon as you have some news

cheers

griff

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07 AM »

Dizz :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *

gfxgfx
gfx gfx