gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 06:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  40 yr Old Newbie's Firebird Project - FINISHED!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 40 yr Old Newbie's Firebird Project - FINISHED!  (Read 7265 times)

BMX20

40 yr Old Newbie's Firebird Project - FINISHED!
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:18 AM »
First off, what a fantastic site!  I've barely scratched the surface yet it's clear this is a seriously helpful resource populated by very helpful people - so thank you.  Also, a big thank you to Firebird Steve for his help getting me onto here and for answering the myriad of little questions I've had for him so far.  Anyway, here are the pics of my Firebird to date:

White Skyways with a coaster on their way - looking at a white/black build I think.  Anyone know where I can get DP Ladder bars from?  I'll post pics as I build it up, in the meantime I'm off to prep the forks for lacquer.  Incidentally, I've ordered some decals from Firebird Steve - does anyone know if you can lacquer over them and, if so, what type of lacquer?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:16 PM by BMX20 »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: 40 yr Old Newbie's Firebird Project
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:31 AM »

Lookin' good so far  :daumenhoch: , welcome to RAD  ;)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Welcome to Rad.  I would be getting my chain as short as possible looking at the back dropouts to stop them from splaying even more :daumenhoch:

I would Laquer before the Decals personally

Nice build in progress there fella :4_17_5:

monkian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Hello mate, welcome aboard. Great first project 8) :daumenhoch:
I'm sure you'll feel right at home in no time.

BMX20

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Yeah, the frame's near perfect apart from those drop-outs.  As it is, the chain that came with the bike is a perfect length and in good nick, so that's saved me some tinkering there.  Been reading about various methods of applying the decals - think I'll give the soapy water method a go!  Just finished lacquering the forks so the whole thing is ready to start building up once that's done.  Just need to find somewhere around Lincoln to ride it then ...

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Loads of great places around Lincoln to ride and three great parks in Peterborough aswell which is about an hour away :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Thanks so far guys - more bits ready for assembly!

And nicely polished BD Bars and Stem with 99p ebay Potts Mod!

Waiting for rear brake, seat clamp, spider and chainring, and the Skyways from the States (£130 inc postage - gotta love the exchange rate!)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 01:52 AM »

Good luck mate - looks like it's coming along nicely  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:41 AM »
Welcome & very nice first build  8)

DP Ladder Bars are about like most things, it will just be a case of keep looking out for them  :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Nothing better than another DP brought back to life...  :smitten:

For DP Ladder bars you'll need to bide your time and they aren't £15 any more... more like £150-£200  :shocked:

I've applied 2 sets of Steve's DP decals and I've always thought its OTT to do the wet route... they were just slapped on in the factory! but if you take your time and press them down from the middle out then you can just wack em straight on.

Are you building this to ride? looks that way... if you need some decent cheap tyres then try these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-x-1-75-BMX-tyres-BLACK-AMBER-wall-OLD-skool-/380281408209?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item97578c3ff6

they look like this on white mags...

Best of luck mate  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 08:47 AM »
welcome to RAD and good luck with your first (of many) builds  :daumenhoch:

what Tuffs did you buy from the states? was it the graphite ones with gold hubs?  if not then you can get any coloured new tuffs on UK ebay for about £70  :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Hi guys,

With regard to the decals, I think the only ones I'm nervous of are the 2 for the downtube, as it's very easy to see if they don't line up.  I might do the remainder dry and try the wet route for the downtube.  It looks like there's an extra headtube decal in the set, so I might try experimenting with than on my old MTB.  I'll probably experiment with lacquering over it too with acrylic just to see what happens.  Has anyone lacquered over their decals?

The Skyways I went for are just stock white Tuff IIs, but with a coaster brake (I couldn't find any in the UK and Skyway said their UK supplier wasn't importing them).  It's a tiny bit steep I know, but I really wanted that brake.

So yeah, it's definitely a rider; those tyres look just the ticket too, nice one!

Anyone know of a skatepark or ramps where complete novices are welcome to go and make fools of themselves?

Gordy

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:44 AM »
ahhhh didn't realise they were coaster ones  :daumenhoch:

as for parks?  you can go to any as none of them worry if you make a fool of yourself or not..........i do it everytime i go  :LolLolLolLol:

Hootski70

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Don't know of a park but if you haven't done it in a while make sure you wear ALL the saftey gear ( don't worry about looking like a tit ) It can very easily go wrong very quickly when the addrenalim is pumping .( My bro Spen 69 face planted at full pelt onto concrete , broke his cheekbone 6 places and knocked his front teeth out )Also take a basic tool kit with you as the bike will probably need a few tweeks as things settle in . Be safe , look a tit ,feel old but have fun .

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Come down to Corby in Jan for the RAD Night at Adrenalin Alley... there will be loads of people making fools of themselves and falling off ( mainly me & Pickle  :smitten: )
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 05:39 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: yeah......you gotta fall off now and again  :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Hi guys,

With regard to the decals, I think the only ones I'm nervous of are the 2 for the downtube, as it's very easy to see if they don't line up.  I might do the remainder dry and try the wet route for the downtube.  It looks like there's an extra headtube decal in the set, so I might try experimenting with than on my old MTB.  I'll probably experiment with lacquering over it too with acrylic just to see what happens.  Has anyone lacquered over their decals?

The Skyways I went for are just stock white Tuff IIs, but with a coaster brake (I couldn't find any in the UK and Skyway said their UK supplier wasn't importing them).  It's a tiny bit steep I know, but I really wanted that brake.

So yeah, it's definitely a rider; those tyres look just the ticket too, nice one!

Anyone know of a skatepark or ramps where complete novices are welcome to go and make fools of themselves?

Gordy

If you are going to ride parks etc, I would go for a slightly better tyre, there are a few amber walled New Skool Tyres about that look great on an old skool build, have a word with stodgy at the rad shop, he knows everything & will sort you out  :coolsmiley:

http://www.radbmxshop.co.uk/shop/article_696.001/FIT-F.A.F-Tyre---SKINWALL.html'shop_param=cid%3D11%26aid%3D696.001%26

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Welcome from another 40-something with a part-built DP.....  :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Well, both Corby and Peterborough are pretty close, so I guess I have no excuse for not giving it a shot.  Are there any beginners days as such, or at least a relatively quiet spot where my constant wipe outs won't upset the locals?  To that end, I'll definitely be getting some gear - as a dedicated roadie I know he value of a good helmet!

BMX20

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Forks nearly ready for decals - one more day of lacquering and I think we're there!

Guys (I presume!), loving the advice - I'm building up to a day at Corby I think. Alert the medical services!

Gordy

P.S. TBP: Piccies of your Firebird?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:02 AM by BMX20 »

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 08:23 AM »

Well I say part-built.....It's actually a frame & forks in a box and a cupboard full of bits....  ;D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Forks nearly ready for decals - one more day of lacquering and I think we're there!

Guys (I presume!), loving the advice - I'm building up to a day at Corby I think. Alert the medical services!

Gordy

not wanting to p*ss on your fireworks too much, but once you do get the DP built you'll soon realise they're only good enough for rolling around on and cruising about town........if you want to get back into riding in parks and stuff then a new school is the only way forward  :daumenhoch:

OS for looking at and cruising
NS for riding like you stole it  :daumenhoch:

Hootski70

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 09:01 AM »
If you are planning huge air then mid/ new school is the way but i ride a 1980 team mongoose on wood dirt and concrete and i am not to shy about it and its not broken yet , i believe horses for coarses

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 03:54 PM »
hello an welcome,
looks like a nice build in the making,a firebird owner and fan myself,but dont get ahead of urself in parks just yet
if like me u havnt rode for 20+ year, trying to perfect a simple wheelie for more than a few yards was monster task let alone
a rockwalk or 360 so id say back to basics first and enjoy. :daumenhoch:

BMX20

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Here's an update of the progress:

Seat Clamp resprayed and lacquered

Now with the decals on, and 2 further coats of lacquer over the whole thing.

Pretty chuffed at how it's come out, especially as it was all rattle-can paint and lacquer.

Gordy

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  40 yr Old Newbie's Firebird Project - FINISHED!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx