gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 06, 2024, 04:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Does anyone remember Rad City In Benfleet back in the 80's and 90's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Does anyone remember Rad City In Benfleet back in the 80's and 90's  (Read 5815 times)

tattood dood

Hi. Being that this site is radbmx it got me thinking about a shop I use to ride to in Benfleet called Rad City . It was run I think by a guy called Brian . In 1987 I went over there and made up a custom bike around a Gt performer frame , Lavender tuffs ( got some stick from the guys but the ladies loved them ggrrrrr lol ) That shop was excellent , if you wanted good quality bmx gear then you went to rad city . Would like to know if anyone else remembers it . Hope to see replies . :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Does anyone remember Rad City In Benfleet back in the 80's and 90's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:30 PM »
my nearest shop that had anything good  shame its gone.
i walked all the way from wickford once to buy some orange tuffs   :idiot2:

richboy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:51 PM »
yes i remember that shop, furniture store now i think. when i raced for canvey roadrunners thats where me dad dropped me off for the van to take us to that days meeting. i cringe now thinking off mine and all the others bikes just being lobbed into the back of a transit van.  :'(

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:21 PM »
my local shop spent a lot of time and money there, watched fiola do a show there mite of been 83/84 :daumenhoch:

tattood dood

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Yeah I am from Wickford and I use to ride there all the time to see the bikes . Was excellent when I made my bike up for my sixteenth birthday ( many moons ago ) . Never lost the bug though and at 39 I am saving to build another custom bike , NICE!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Billy Stupple is your man for reminising about Rad City...

:daumenhoch:

tattood dood

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Billy Stupple , now there's a name I know . I went down to the opening of Schofield cycles in the eighties I think and the Skyway team along with said Mr Billy Stupple were doing a display . They were going to jump a car but got rained off . Would be good to chat to him . Rad City was the highlight of my weekend growing up and going over there and drooling over the bikes ( not literally ) and waiting for the day you got a bike from there .  :daumenhoch:

Offline Why isnt this working

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Rad City was pukka...... I remember going down there to get some lavinder skyway stickers made up for my white burner  :2funny: , I lied and told everyone it was a skyway and in my head it was :D. I just used to drule over everything for hours and hours.

richboy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:55 AM »
another shop i remember not far from RC was the shop in pound lane pitsea. only a small shop if my memory is correct but allways had some nice bikes in there. its where my dad bought my silver streak from. god knows what happened to that bike  :-\

WizardWeb

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:49 PM »
another shop i remember not far from RC was the shop in pound lane pitsea. only a small shop if my memory is correct but allways had some nice bikes in there. its where my dad bought my silver streak from. god knows what happened to that bike  :-\

I think that shop has now moved right near where RadCity used to be. It's on London Road opposite the Furniture Shop that RC was round the back of. JD Cycles is near there too.

The saddest bit of the Rad City tale for me, was when BMX died in late 80's early 90's, the shop moved to a small unit inside Shafers Arcade. They only sold skateboards and the only thing I bought from there was some finger boards.... It seemed like such a fall from grace in a way. The original shop was great. Loved going in there and staring at the line of Haro's, GT's and such. All different colours and all out of my price range !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Does anyone remember Rad City In Benfleet back in the 80's and 90's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx