gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 08:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Do standards slip as you get older or are you just a cheap bastard?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Do standards slip as you get older or are you just a cheap bastard?  (Read 16194 times)

ukoldschool

I have to say I like the old DPs but there geometry is awful! There head tube angle is way to relaxed and the steering is all over the place.

Thank god a voice of sanity! They rode like what they were - a very poor copy of a haro with the angles all wrong. The only reason the forks are non raked is to try and put some sparkle into the geometry - and all that did was to make them feel nasty and squirelly. Ride a master or a streetbeat directly after a Firebird and youll see what I mean. Even an Ammaco freestyler (which was frankly the ultimate dogshit bike) has better geometry than a DP IMO.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Aww has Mr Gumpy got an ickle bumblebee in his pants about OS parts

SEND IN DIGGLER

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Sorry lads, I agree on the geometry of the DP being poor to be honest but it's my personal opinion.

However, rider bikes can't justify 401's and NOS DC brakes so you have to take a look at your budget and decide what you spend it on.
Still limping......

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:

Ride a master or a streetbeat directly after a Firebird and youll see what I mean. Even an Ammaco freestyler (which was frankly the ultimate dogshit bike) has better geometry than a DP IMO.

I have and I get straight back off the Haro Master and Back on the DP.  The DP rides much better IMO :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Standards slipping...far from it tarquin

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Standards slipping...far from it tarquin

;D

What's the chainring on that Puch?
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline JT Smooth

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:

I look forward to seeing you on that  :daumenhoch:

ozone

I have to say I like the old DPs but there geometry is awful! There head tube angle is way to relaxed and the steering is all over the place.

Thank god a voice of sanity! They rode like what they were - a very poor copy of a haro with the angles all wrong. The only reason the forks are non raked is to try and put some sparkle into the geometry - and all that did was to make them feel nasty and squirelly. Ride a master or a streetbeat directly after a Firebird and youll see what I mean. Even an Ammaco freestyler (which was frankly the ultimate dogshit bike) has better geometry than a DP IMO.

:LolLolLolLol:  At the comments from the Streetbeat owner.  Ginny used to sell a Streetbeat f+f for $50 which is cheaper than an Aero Reflex frameset.  What is the point of throwing a load of high-end bits on a $50 frameset - all of those inferior brands you refer to would be perfectly suited for such a build.  You can't polish a turd, no matter how you you dress it up.   :uglystupid2:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
This is a hobby, fook all else. not about proving your current financial status through power spending. It's those sad bastards who drove the prices up on themselves. You can try and prove you're the man with aerospeeds and sst's but you'll still have a small penis no matter how much you over compensate.
Long live Ali cranks.
ding dong

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
old school BMX is dead!

RIP
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

ukoldschool

:LolLolLolLol:  At the comments from the Streetbeat owner.  Ginny used to sell a Streetbeat f+f for $50 which is cheaper than an Aero Reflex frameset.  What is the point of throwing a load of high-end bits on a $50 frameset - all of those inferior brands you refer to would be perfectly suited for such a build.  You can't polish a turd, no matter how you you dress it up.   :uglystupid2:

Eh? Harry potters mates sister used to sell streetbeats for $50 and this somehow makes them a worse f&f than an aeroreflex? ive yet to see a $50 2 tone streetbeat but im happy to be proven wrong so point me in the right direction. While your at it point the DP firebird builders there too and they can get a decent frame to replace their DP's :)

By the way you can polish a turd. check mythbusters ;)

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
I have a frame pad for that puch !!! Free of charge . You need padding anyway
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Lower quality parts on more expensive frames are probably what a load of us had back in the day. Had a Kuwahara Nova and upgraded the frame to a Hutch Pro Racer after a few years. So there you have it, a top quality frame with parts from an entry level bike. It’s probably the same for a lot of us now as well.

Agree with you about the Maxycross cranks looking ugly, although they can look OK on the right build.

Julian

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
should all be about enjoyment, some of the lower end bike builds on here have been awsome n pure old school, i was not into racing BITD so never saw the team bikes etc all the bikes i saw were real proper used bikes built with the bits peeps wanted on em. i don't think standards have slipped i just think people are "getting real" and these builds are far more interesting than another stock bike which has been seen and done a thousand times before on this site and better. The best stock builds have already been done, utilising decent overlooked lower end parts at least has the potential of evoking real memories of "real" kids build BITD and is a welcome change to the same old same old.

Diggler, your puchs shit!

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
This is a hobby, fook all else. not about proving your current financial status through power spending. It's those sad bastards who drove the prices up on themselves. You can try and prove you're the man with aerospeeds and sst's but you'll still have a small penis no matter how much you over compensate.
Long live Ali cranks.

Don't start picking on the SST owners  :knuppel2: ;D , oh and Aerospeeds were shite anyhow  :2funny:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
Funniest thread I've read in a long time, especially JT Racings comments, the ramblings of a jealous poor boy me thinks. :LolLolLolLol:

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

cheap sh!t is the new black    :2funny:

all this talk of crappy parts.......and no mention of the raleigh burner   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
all this talk of crappy parts.......and no mention of the raleigh burner   ;D ;D ;D

Uh Oh

*grabs popcorn and waits for the show to start*

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
To all the people PM ing offers for the Puch, sorry but it left the building 2years ago  :(
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
To all the people PM ing offers for the Puch, sorry but it left the building 2years ago  :(

Not after the Puch, but whas teh chainringage?
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Some of the cheaper bikes are often more iconic than the expensive ones.

I have a mongoose motomag in my collection, not because its particularly valuable or hard to find... but purely that when I look at it its brings the greatest memories of summer days rolling around the bomb drops in the woods near to where I lived than any other bike I can think of.

quite simply you cannot put a price on that.....

It could have been a team murry, or a halfords turbo... it could have been a Skyway ta with hutch aeroplops

But it was and is a mongoose motomag.... a half tone lump of steel that I love to bits

Its not the bike I use 'covet' (long after) that was always the PK Ripper, so I have one of those now, but that's more of a symbol of where I am now and not where I was then.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:06 PM by diesel »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Funniest thread I've read in a long time, especially JT Racings comments, the ramblings of a jealous poor boy me thinks. :LolLolLolLol:

Adam
I agree . I think he should take up his original name of " townsend bmx " and let the original JT take the crown . Kill 2 birds with one stone i say

Big up Townsend BMX for supporting the poor blackburn massiff ..............init
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:

Adam

Lol, this ones for you Adam
/>
ding dong

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Only if you change your name back to moon head Craig.  :)
ding dong

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Not after the Puch, but whas teh chainringage?

I have been trying to rack my hairy brains, it wouldn't have been owt good, possibly GT, mongoose or DB

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Do standards slip as you get older or are you just a cheap bastard?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx