gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975557 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 12:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Looking for views and opinions please.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Looking for views and opinions please.  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Looking for views and opinions please.
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:49 PM »
I put my 'back in the day' Torker build in the old school street section on bike of the year. The reason I done this was it is a replica of the bike I used to ride around the streets as a kid. I never raced BMX in my life and although it was built technically as a race bike bitd, it has been removed from the said above section.

The bike was not restored and all the parts put on it were used/rider condition parts.

Having looked in the street section, I notice that there are 2 x Mongoose builds sitting there and correct if I'm wrong, were these not built as race bikes bitd??

Technically speaking, my Torker build has a rightful place in 3 sections of bike of the year, Race section, Freestyle section (as the frame is classed as a freestyler these days) and old school street section.

Not looking for things to change, just views and opinions from other members on here please.
BANNED

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Looking for views and opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:53 PM »
have you had a word with whoever deleted it ?.
to many section if you ask me anyway.
confused.com
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:56 PM »
It's not hard Dave, choose a bike in each section, then choose a winner from them, simples !

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I was asked to move it to the race section, to which I had a long ponder over, and felt it needed to stay where it was. It's not restored in anyway and would never ever stand a chance in that section being of twin top tubing  :yahoo_silent:
BANNED

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:03 PM »
i was thinking more of the people putting bikes in nick tbh.
whats classed as a street bike ?.

unless you was some flash fook the bike you rode on the street was the bike you raced at the weekend.
but thanks for your guidance on how to vote old chap  ::)
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:04 PM »
is there definition any where for the classes, for example how is a street bike defined?

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:05 PM »
what i was trying to say before the snide comment.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:06 PM »
your Torker frame was a race frame and the Mongoose Cali was classed as a low end street bike

I moved it after consulting with other mods......thanks for letting me know you'd decided not to move it by te way  :daumenhoch:

Dave, Street bikes are normally the low end bikes like Burners (not aero pro) Goose Cali, Halfords turbo, Puch that sort of thing......Torkers and TA's and the likes are not classed as Street bikes, even if that's all you did with them BITD

Also, why not use the 'comments section' in the BOTY thread to voice this concern?  instead of waiting a month till we've closed em down and set up the polls?

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:07 PM »
To me, a Torker 280, Pro etc will always be a race bike. Its just that it had twin top tubes and probably influenced freestyle bike designs.

My understanding of a 'street bike' is one that had lower quality components on it and was aimed at kids riding around with their mates or racers on a budget. My Kuwahara Nova is classed as a street bike, although it was good enough for me to ride nationals BITD. If you check the specs between a Nova and a Laserlite you can see why its classed as 'street'.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:12 PM by Julian347 »

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:10 PM »
so because it cost more money then its not a street bike........ok  :-\
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13 PM »
many of the "low end" bikes were raced at regional and national levels bitd as that was all some people could afford, like wise many "high end" bikes were only used on the street.

cali's were commonplace at race meetings  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Kind of Dave but not that simple i guess.  Like i put above, it's more the type of bikes we all had like Burners, Puch, Turbo's, Falcon Pro's and the like.

fook me, it's a general guide ffs..............i give up!  ::)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19 PM »
would not the best place for it be in the replica section as its a replica of the bike you rode bitd ?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19 PM »
your Torker frame was a race frame and the Mongoose Cali was classed as a low end street bike

I moved it after consulting with other mods......thanks for letting me know you'd decided not to move it by te way  :daumenhoch:

Dave, Street bikes are normally the low end bikes like Burners (not aero pro) Goose Cali, Halfords turbo, Puch that sort of thing......Torkers and TA's and the likes are not classed as Street bikes, even if that's all you did with them BITD

Also, why not use the 'comments section' in the BOTY thread to voice this concern?  instead of waiting a month till we've closed em down and set up the polls?

So the Supergoose that's in the street section is also classed as a low street bike too??

The reason I am now voicing my opinion and not a month ago is simple to Pickle. I have to work, Rad has been unobtainable and when you locked the threads, my Torker was still in there.

I'm not looking to aggrevate or cause too much of a stir, I'm looking for peoples opinions on what a 'street bike' is classed as and and if mine was fairly and justly removed from the section.
BANNED

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Snide comment you big lord  :LolLolLolLol: Wanna fight  :D

Chill out chaps, as long as your bikes in there who cares  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22 PM »
would not the best place for it be in the replica section as its a replica of the bike you rode bitd ?
I did think of that too dude but, it's not a Torker replica. It's a genuine one. I just felt I needed to ask why it's not classed as a street bike being as thats all I ever done with it.

BANNED

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 03:25 PM »
yes after school ya fooker ya  :P.

all i was saying was should a burner thats been restored to mint and had a fortune spent on it be class more lowly than a T/A thats had the same ammount spent.
when i looked at the sections before i was waiting for this to start.
not trying to cause agro but a race a freestyle a mini and a new/mid school section would have been soooo much easier to vote and put ya bikes in.

just me though bosses.dont ban me yet as im waiting for a few bits to come in the post  ;D ;D
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31 PM »
There is no official classification spec written ,, but I'd say the general idea is , it it aint specific race or specific freestylle it goes in Street i.e

Any non Tange Burner
Piranha
Puch invader
Iron Horse dirt burner
Kuwahara E.T
Diamond back Viper
Cycle pro Macho
BH California
Halfords Turbo
Trax Pro
Ammaco 202

all these are full  Hi tensile steel not Cro-mo  :)

Basically if it wasn't a sub £150 POS it's not getting in  :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:57 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 03:32 PM »
I did think of that too dude but, it's not a Torker replica. It's a genuine one. I just felt I needed to ask why it's not classed as a street bike being as thats all I ever done with it.

yeah i know it's a real one mate but it is a rep of your bike from bitd just as Ash's ripper is a rep of Stu Thompsons from bitd  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:43 PM by 58delray »

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42 PM »

well thats what you get for building a race bike with twin top tubes  ;D 

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43 PM »

yeah i know it's a real one mate but it is a rep of your bike from bitd just as Ash's ripper is a rep of Stu Thompsons from bitd  :daumenhoch:

which section is it in now by the way?
No griping there Dubs on my part. Just put it in to show her off  :smitten:

All I am saying is that, in my opinion, ALL BMX bikes were 'street' bikes as that is where their biggest customer base was. I don't agree with the comment that a Super Tuff Burner was a street bike and the Pro Burner was not. I also had a Pro Burner that never saw the track either and when I went into Raleigh to buy it with my Dad, the guy never said "thats for racing buddy. You should take this Tuff Burner instead".

I thought I would put it in there as, to me, it's a street bike.
BANNED

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Street class I'd say is about street ,  Survivor un restored class is something else ,,they've had em before at MK about 4 years ago and not since

I can understand Terry's misunderstanding , because it isn't written as rules

and is just assumed everyone knows what fits in

It is just for fun though ,, isn't it ?  ???  :D

This was my Piranha which fits in street ,, not built for race or freestyle , but it's an old 80's bike so must fit in the other class  :D

Mostly NOS and  not survivor

but definately a POS  :Great_Britain:  ;D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:49 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Where was the 70's freestyle catagory ?  ::) ::) ;D
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32 PM »
As i see it, a bike could be categorised on its use- if you bought a frame that was made for or universally regarded as a race frame but spec'd for street & only used it as such, then it could fit both categories...

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Where was the 70's freestyle catagory ?  ::) ::) ;D

or the 1957 dutch catagory  ;D  ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Looking for views and opinions please.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx