gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 02:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Greetings from Wigan. I was riding trails when they were still called 'jumps'...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Greetings from Wigan. I was riding trails when they were still called 'jumps'...  (Read 4056 times)

Hellcat

I'm Dan, living in Hindley, Wigan.

I bought a new FreeAgent about 4 years ago, after moving back up here from London. Then got heavily into Thai Boxing and couldn't risk more injuries so after 1st bad crash, the bike's been gathering dust until last week. I had to give up Thai Boxing due to work commitments, so now I've got some time on my hands I'm determined to learn to fly again / better than I did 20 odd years ago.

Near where I live there's miles and miles of slag heaps & old colliery land, crying out for some trails. That's why I joined the forum.

My true love is old school Performers & Haros, but am very unlikely to be able to afford one anytime soon. I still kick myself regularly for passing up on an original Performer with lavender Skyways for £80 a few years ago in London, cos I thought the money would be better put to a new bike.

Tbh, I was never very good, but was very enthusiastic and could do loads more tricks than any of my mates bitd (that's not saying much though). After doing Thai Boxing for a few years and seeing how I progressed in that (fighting standard & 2 grades away from Instructor) I know with practice I can leran to do things I never would have believed I could.

So I'm on a HellCat now, and just learning to ride again, but have no idea where this journey's gonna take me, or what bikes I may end up riding. Just know that I love riding BMX & learning tricks & jumps. Can't wait to ride all these 'new' council ramps in all the parks, Hindley, Platt Fields, Newton-Le-Willows, all a quick car drive away.

That's my story. Hope to meet some of you along the way, seems like a very cool forum. Anyone local get in touch, specially those interested in the slag heap trails I'm gonna be building in the near future.

Dan

&

I've copied all the 'Me & My Bikes' stuff to save retelling.

Name:  Dan
Occupation: currently resting, previously was a theatre manager, been a drum & bass promoter & music video maker in my younger days.
Years Collecting: Had bikes as a kid in the 80's in the Golden Age. Just getting back into it, again.
Interests: Arcade machines. Got 2 & a pinball machine. Thai Boxing. Films. Music.
Dislikes: Narrow minded dickheads, bad drivers (epecially people who don't indicate). Being skint & unemployed.
Favourite BMX: 80's GT Performer
Favourite Old School BMX Brand: GT or Haro

My bikes: as a kid started on a Red 'heavy metal' Burner, then progressed onto a Black & Gold Ultra Burner (the oval tube one). Used to race occasionally at 3 Sisters but was never very good. Had a backyard 1/4 pipe & trick ramp, still wasn't very good, basic airs, footplants & drop-ins really, but very enthusiastic & determined. Used to go to Edge Lane Skatepark, Liverpool occasionally.

Now I've got a Freeagent HellCat 06, which is decent but quite heavy. Had it from new, but just getting back into it. Got a lot to re-learn.

Hellcat

2 days on this forum & I've bought my 1st F&F. Eek! New build pics coming on...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:

2 days on this forum & I've bought my 1st F&F. Eek!

Hello RAD = Goodbye cash  :10_2_12: :LolLolLolLol:

Welcome to the site mate  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Hellcat

2 days on this forum & I've bought my 1st F&F. Eek!

Hello RAD = Goodbye cash  :10_2_12: :LolLolLolLol:

Welcome to the site mate  :daumenhoch:

Cheers. I also collect 80's arcade machines / game boards, that's a costly hobby...

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:

Cheers. I also collect 80's arcade machines / game boards, that's a costly hobby...

Welcome to the site  :daumenhoch:

I still collect arcade boards etc (not as much as I used to) - used to consolise stuff (and make the odd MVS cart as well for the unreleased stuff) and do repairs. Got a hefty MVS collection, CPS2's etc as well.
Nowt like having a few mates round with some beers and playing a few of the old classics :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Hellcat

Welcome to the site  :daumenhoch:

I still collect arcade boards etc (not as much as I used to) - used to consolise stuff (and make the odd MVS cart as well for the unreleased stuff) and do repairs. Got a hefty MVS collection, CPS2's etc as well.
Nowt like having a few mates round with some beers and playing a few of the old classics :)

Ace. Seems like arcades and bmx go together. Are you on Jammaplus forum? There's a few bike collectors on there (not sure how much riding goes on, but still), one's done NOS replica builds of the 3 BMX Bandits bikes.

I've got about 20 arcade boards. Highlights include both Slap Fight & Alcon (I'm the Twin Galaxies record holder), R-Type & a MVS 138-in-1. If you've any Toaplan games to sell I'm always interested. ;)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:

I've got about 20 arcade boards. Highlights include both Slap Fight & Alcon (I'm the Twin Galaxies record holder), R-Type & a MVS 138-in-1. If you've any Toaplan games to sell I'm always interested. ;)

Very nice  :daumenhoch: (Although boo-hiss on the 138-1 cart ;) ) Not got any Toa Plan stuff (although I think I used to have Grind Stormer), still got a few contacts over in Japan/China/Taiwan if you ever need any stuff cheaper than it is over here.

One of my favourites is I've got a full Irritating Maze (not in cab) kit - trackball etc. Got a bust NeoGeo CD unit and consolised an MV-1C toploading motherboard into it for some living room action :)

Jacked in video-game forums after I got scammed for a decent amount of cashola/arcade stuff - sent some stuff off and got shafted by a combo items delivered/Paypal scam. Never been back since.... :-\

Hellcat

Yeah, I don't epecially like multi boards, got it with a 1 slot in a swap for Commando & Mercs. Hadn't played many Neo games before, and delighted to find some crackers.

Shame about the scam. Jammaplus is a pretty tight community with a busy marketplace, so may be worth a look if you ever feel like i, there's always people crying out for people with tech / fixing skills so you could maybe make a few quid on that.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
I'll have a butchers fella  :daumenhoch:

Just having a quick look through some of my photobucket stuff and found an old piccy of some of my MVS carts:

Love the MVS - Neo Turfmasters, all of the schmups, and the fighters :) Also got a hefty retro-console collection :)

Hellcat

Nice!

Shock Troopers 2nd is one of my faves on it, so is Prehistoric Isle 2.

Blazing Star is one of the only ones on my 138 that doesn't work :yahoo_silent: I'd love a copy of Pulstar.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Gutter about the Blazing Star - with the multi-carts sometimes they'll work on different MVS boards, so some stuff won't work on one of the three one-slots but will one the others, won't work on a 2-slot but will on a 4/6 etc. If you've got any spare MVS mobos it's worth a try :)

Got a load of spare MVS cart boards here still (that I bought from a cart sac'er years ago - another boo-hiss) so if you ever want any of the unreleased stuff (Diggerman/Ghostlop etc) I'll dust off the old 'prom burner and do you a cart for the price of the chips :)

Love Shock Troopers 2 - there's a really bad pirate version called Lansquenet 2004 that has speed ups enabled/weapons etc, and the levels are jumbled up. Pulstar's a cracker as well, as are the Aero Wings 1 & 2, Strikers and Last Resort.

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
You probably wont like me . I drive round hindley like a dickhead everyday  :LolLolLolLol:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Hellcat

I've heard that, & the seller knows his stuff & said it was fully working, seeing a board repairer mate this aftie (to pick up a Snow Bros he's fixed for me), so I'll see if he's got any mobos to try it on.

I played Lansquenet before I saw ST2, so love em both. Love Aero 1&2, & Strikers, tho a bit new for my taste.

Cheers for the offer. Much appreciated. I'll have to find out about Diggerman now. ;) *Ooh! a Boulder Dash clone <3 *

Tbh I've been drifting away from the arcade games recently, even before my bmx bug came back hard.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Greetings from Wigan. I was riding trails when they were still called 'jumps'...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx