gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975553 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 06:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2001 GT Performer Forks & Headset Problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2001 GT Performer Forks & Headset Problem  (Read 3067 times)

spaceman71

2001 GT Performer Forks & Headset Problem
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Good morning & happy Easter!
Newbie needing some advice please.
Rebuilding a 2001 Performer, how do i fit the headset to the forks?
I have FSA The Pig 1 1/8" headset with top cap, hex head bolt & star nut.
Although my std GT Forks are threadless on the outside there is a threaded nut factory welded inside the top of the forks about 1cm from the top.
As the nut is bigger then the bolt supplied with the headset and not long enough and what looks like only just enough room to get one star nut inside the top of the fork let alone the two supplied, what do i do?
Appreciate any help please.
Thanks

Skid

Re: 2001 GT Performer Forks & Headset Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Buy one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMOND-BACK-AHEAD-CAP-C-W-HOLLOW-BOLT-BMXS-/320791764763?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ab0addf1b

Take the star nut, top cap and head bolt out of the FSA, you don't need them. Use the Hollow Bolt and top cap from the link instead. You don't need the star nut if the forks have one already welded in them.

spaceman71

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I got hold of a Gusset Hole-In-The-Head 1 1/8" top cap & hollow stem bolt but the bolt is not quite big enough to fit the forks.
The diamond back item listed does not spec the bolt size.
Any idea what size bolt I need for GT forks?

Skid

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:34 PM »
testicles,you're right, I just checked out the width of a GT stem cap which is the same size as that DB one against the width of the hollow bolt from a 2003 Performer fork, which also has the welded in nut, they are different sizes. Which means that I am now also on the hunt for the very same part you are looking for to go on a 2000 Tour 2 fork.

:tickedoff:

I just measured the 2003 Performer bolt, the threaded part is 11mm in diameter and is 47mm in length.

spaceman71

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Are you UK or US based?

Skid

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:41 PM »
UK

spaceman71

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Just had a bolt expert look at the forks and Gusset hollow stem bolt.
Hollow stem bolt is an american size, closest metric=M10.
Looking at the forks he thinks its something like 1/2" UNF
You can get socket headed bolts 1/2" UNF x 2" long=50mm
I might order a couple of bolts to see what fits if I don't get any answer on the bmx forums, if i find the answer i will let you know.
Alternatively, If you have a proper industrial bolt stockist near you it might be worth taking your bolt into them to match up-you would need to check first that they stock UNF sizes though-B&Q aint gonna cut it!
Just talking to a guy on Ebay with a pair of 1 1/8" & 1" GT Performer & Vertigo forks neither of which have a welded nut-looks like we are the lucky ones!
Sure we can help each other out and find a solution, Happy Easter.

Skid

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Found a solution on another forum.

Fit the star nut from the Gusset into your fork and then you can use the hollow bolt without a problem as the welded nut has a slightly larger diameter.

Just remember that the hollow bolt is only there to compress the bearings in the headtube, the 2 bolts on the side of the headstem are what attach's the headstem to the forks. So tighten it up first, then tighten the side bolts on the stem, otherwise you'll end up stripping the thread on the star nut and it'll be a right horrible pain to get it out.

;)

spaceman71

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:27 PM »
And just the one star nut fitted in above the welded-in nut is sufficient?
Could you also give me the link to the forum you found the answer on.
Thanks mate & well done!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 03:59 PM »
 :)  I`ve got a Diamondback hollow bolt(no cap/starnut) here,10mm thick.Any good to you?

spaceman71

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the offer mate but i already have a Gusset item that I think is also M10.

Skid

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 05:17 PM »
And just the one star nut fitted in above the welded-in nut is sufficient?
Could you also give me the link to the forum you found the answer on.
Thanks mate & well done!

Yeah mate, the star nut is only used to apply pressure until you tighten the side bolts.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/threadless-headset-shannigans.94864/

Original question.

The stem bolt ( one in the middle ) has been stripped to the point that it wil not grip the middle nut/washer inside the fork crown. Now I was thinking yes no probs I can knock out the star fangled washer thingy but it is one of those that has been spot welded inside

Answers.

1. The star nut inside the steerer/top cap/bolt just draw up the forks so that the stem can positioned correctly and then tightened up - and it is the grip of the stem which holds things together. So the easy solution if I read it correctly is to get another bolt - even if this is just a temporary measure to get the forks into position.

If the stem bolt is stripped as Pete said you can just use another bolt, if the star nut is stripped if there is enough space for another one on top you can knock a new one in.

You need something to compress the bearings to get the correct fit, then tighten the stem. Once this is done it's the stem holding it together and whatever method was used to get the correct compression becomes redundant. It's probably the misunderstanding of this that led to the thread getting stripped, I've seen it a number of times where people have tightened the bolt without loosening the stem.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:21 PM by Skid »

Skid

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27 PM »
:)  I`ve got a Diamondback hollow bolt(no cap/starnut) here,10mm thick.Any good to you?

How much do you want for it Voidoid?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2001 GT Performer Forks & Headset Problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx