gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975555 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 07:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 84 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro  (Read 14988 times)

monkian

84 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:56 PM »
A while back Bendy posted an article on a strange looking Tange frame that really caught my imagination: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=104279.0
I did a bit of digging around and found out it was a rebadged Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro (apparently they were originally available as a kit).
Anyhow, I stumbled across one recently and managed to land it coming via Poland and I have to say I bloody love it :D ;)

It's got some mad features: Fat round top tube, Downtube goes from a vertical oval at headtube to the same fat round at the centre to horizontal oval at the BB...
The article seemed to suggest the tubes house some kind of 'Powertwist' gubbins (similar idea to the Spiral stem on TRX forks I guess) but the 'Powertwist' is more likely just be the shape of the downtube.
It also has Laserlite style brake bridge and doubled-up drop-outs like the Kuwahara. Cruiser!

I offered it up against my Rhino Charge for comparison and surprisingly the Anaconda comes in lighter at exactly 4.8lbs. The Tange Mega Force forks are also lighter than I expected.
It has a shorter seat tube of about 1cm giving it a lover back end than the RC, both have a 19.5" top tube.
I've read that from 1983 Schauff employed the services of MR "PK" Perry Kramer 8)

Anyway enough waffle. See what you think:
1984 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:08 AM by monkian »

rad_pitt

Re: 84 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18 PM »
That's a proper cool looking frame set - great work digging the info out too  8)

rad_pitt

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Are the double drops a factory job? ???

monkian

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, pretty unusual I thought to see that in 84 ???

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Thats a Lush f+f set mate :4_17_5: you just gotta love Tange its quality :daumenhoch: Also interested to know more about them double rear drop outs,seems a smart Idea ;)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32 PM »
very nice paul :)

monkian

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Thanks lads, I love this geeky shit ::) ;D
This is the closest I've found to it in the museum but it's listed as an 89 ???
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schauff/39588
There's some others in there but they seem to have Aero chainstays like the Rhino Charge so not sure what's going on there TBH.
I think this is pretty much what the kit would have been:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:14 PM »
thats a nice frameset. Loving this sort of shit too. kind of like the missing link between old and mid school, with the fatter top tube and heavy duty drop outs.

look forward to seeing this built up.  :daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Can't get my head around how light it is but how beefy it looks 8)
Interesting to think that Tange could have been making these for the Germans alongside the Laserlite, Raleigh Aero Pro, Tioga Rhino Charge etc.
Anyone know of an earlier production built bike with double drop-outs? ???

This'll be a keeper for me. Already got some the decals and padset from Dieter :coolsmiley:
It could do with some love but I might leave as is and use as a rider for a while.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:12 PM by monkian »

Jaypeg

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08 PM »
sweet find dude...looking forward to seeing what you do with it  :)

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53 PM »
I think ive seen an article or advert in bmx bi weekly or bmx action for one of these.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00 PM »
great looking frame mate,nice to see something a bit different :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

monkian

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I think ive seen an article or advert in bmx bi weekly or bmx action for one of these.

If it's this one, I think it's a different bike TBH: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=18345.0
Notice the chain-stay strut. The Schauff Rattlesnake was a lower end model but I'm not sure there's a connection between them.
It'd be good to get a better look at the profile shot in that feature so we can see the drop-outs and if it's got a small head-tube gusset.
It's definitely not the same as the other Rattlesnake in Bendys old post. It's a bloody mine field out there :D

If you've got an advert as well, It'd be great to see it :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:14 PM by monkian »

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Lovely looking Frameset that  :smitten:

Nice and rare. Great score Paul  :coolsmiley:
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Nice frameset Paul  :coolsmiley:, my second favourite forks too next to Bottema's.  I ran a pair on those on my Patterson after I tweeked the forks on it a little.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Saw this up for sale and missed it but i'm so glad you got it  ;)

strange with the double drop outs  8)

it's a cool frame and strange how there is not more, see how they have been put together - must be rare if not many are around

with a good polish up this is gonna look sweet  >:D

can't wait for it to be built up  :4_17_5:

sweet find now do it justice >:D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

monkian

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Thanks B. I'll give it some much needed TLC :daumenhoch:
I think a professional polish might save the chrome but it'll have to take it's place in the queue for a while.
The Rhino Charge is next in line...just need to find some Comp IV's, bleach some grips and it's done :)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Seem weird that more frames didn't go this way and be made like this  :coolsmiley:

still keep looking at the double drop outs and think how many normal drop outs have gone out of shape - these don't look like they would  >:D

then there is the weight  ???
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

monkian

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28 PM »
This caught my eye over on that old thread about the Rattlesnake:

Very nice ! In early 86 in Germany, was a similar model : the Tange Anaconda frame in 2 tones colours, chrome + some colours avalaible (like the Haro of same period). They proposed a kit with Tange Anaconda Pro Powertwist frame, very similar to the Rattlesnake (maybe the same, but with another name for other country) with the same fork as the Rattlesnake : a Tange Mega Force and with SR stem and Sugino CT 175 cranks. I've the publicity on a German magazine under the eyes now. It's damage that I've not a scaner to post it. It's seemed to be a nice frame and fork. I'm rebuilding an OS bike : Mongoose Rupe frame, but I've not a fork. I will buy a Tange Mega Force in Germany to fit with, as I've not genuine fork. I will not make an exact replica of the Rupe, but I will equiped it with parts from 84-85. Have anybody have experience with Tange Mega Force forks ? I've seen a few in the old days, but never own one. Thanks

I thought I'd chance my arm and send the guy a cheeky email (only 5 1/2 years later) to see if he was still around and had any info on the magazine he referred to ::)
Anyway, a few days pass, then out of the blue I get this:  :shocked:

Hello Paul !
Sorry for the long time to reply. I've attached to my e-mail the scan of the advertisement on the German BMX magazine that I bought on June 1986 when I was 16...
Hope this helps and appologies again for the long time to reply. Regards from Switzerland. Romain

What an incredible thing to do. Romain, I thank you my friend 8) :daumenhoch:
 :4_17_5:

As far as I've been able to translate, it goes a bit like this: 3-part series: frame, cranks and stem (with potts mod).
Colors: chrome / turquoise, chrome / lavender, chrome / white and blue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:11 PM by monkian »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:55 AM »
Definitely heading towards mid school with that colour scheme!  Love the decals, very Vector-ish I think you have made a brilliant find there  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Cool frame Paul  :coolsmiley:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RoyalTrux

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Hey you was after this frame for some time now, no? Nice find.
Love the green paint on the chrome set up!! do it :)

monkian

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Thanks, yeah I've been looking for one ever since Bendy put up that thread up with the magazine article on the rebranded UK version :D
Really chuffed to have landed it and only really found it by chance. It ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for me
 8) :)
I love the two-tone colour schemes, it's definitely an option but I'm not sure if they were available in 84.
It'll probably come down to how well (or not) the OG chrome cleans up TBH.

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Amazeballs !!!!! What's the update ? The people want to know  :D
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

monkian

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Thanks Wez :)
Well at the moment I'm using it to train on for the Moonriders London to Cambridge ride.
Please take a look and feel free to donate: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/ASITE

It'll be getting some TLC at some point that's for sure....probably needs a re-chrome tbh.

As for parts: Thanks to Yan Yan I've now got a lovely NOS SR Stem - like the one in the Ad.
I've also got NOS Decals & Padset from Dieter at Rainer's...errrr what else...
Shimano HF DX Hubs, Ukai Box Rims, NOS Black Ultra Dyno Cranks, NOS Tioga Beartrap BB,
NOS Shimano GX-Grippers...working on the bars :coolsmiley:

There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten about as well ::) ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84 Schauff Anaconda Powertwist Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx