gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 08:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  So where were you all when the gate dropped??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So where were you all when the gate dropped??  (Read 8509 times)

Jazzchimp

So where were you all when the gate dropped??
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:50 PM »
There was a fantastic turnout at B'mouth, and great to see everyone but when it came to racing it felt like I was one of only 5 or 6 old schoolers who signed up to the heats.

I don't profess to be any good (as you may have noticed) but that doesn't matter to me. I love getting out there, having a go, and in a way recreating a little piece of OS history. In fact, I had so many goes I was knackered come my actual heats.

It would have been so great to have had full heats of OS bikes, and who cares about the standard of anyone's riding?!? I certainly don't. And full respect if you got on you OS ride at B'mouth and enjoyed yourself!! I did.

So next time no excuses, whatever your standard - sign up, get your ass up that start hill and have fun before you look back and wished you had!

Am I right or am I right?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: So where were you all when the gate dropped??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:52 PM »
i say your right.

I went round the track a few times, it was cool. 

Wished i had raced...

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:54 PM »
yeah wished i had raced aswell.

muttley

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Look guys the way i look at it is the OS movement is getting bigger so more events will be happening, so you didnt race at Bournemouth, then get your arses (if you can) down to the next Hersden event, that are a lot of fun and are gonna get more popular, we get mucho props from thel the gang down there for getting out and doing it OS style  8) I can see lots more stuff happening in the near future too with BAD opening soon  ;)

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 01:35 PM »
I wanted to race and was really looking fwd to it as well.

I went round once that morning and between that step up & the beer in my blood (or was that blood in my beer ?)
i decided wobbly racing wasn't for me.  :(

i thought there would be a lot more racers this year, but i think in fact there was a few less.
i think the track was a bit too much personally.

But as Muttley said OS racing @ Hersden is cracking and i can't wait for the 18th
average 12+ riders with the faster guys giving it all in the A final

we should try another OS race at a Milton Keynes meeting that wasn't too bad a track

Kev
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

MeddlE

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:48 PM »
My veins were swimming with pure Spanish Brandy, I'm surprised I managed to take photos.

dial8d

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 04:09 PM »
yeah, here here !

I was never a racer,  not even BITD, but even i thorougly enjoyed bombing round the track.  Ok, not at full pelt........i just dont have the skills to tackle a track like Bmth at full speed, but still good fun all the same.

Also, i kinda thougt that the oldskool bikes looked even better being used, dirty and dusty an all.   In fact, i havent cleaned my TA yet......its looks great covered in the Bmth dust !   8)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I had little intention to race before i went and had the heath possee trying to talk me into it in the couple of weeks leading up but i really can't be bothered with it all at the moment. I had set the Torker up to ride just in case i was needed to make the numbers up but that wasn't necessary.

I did enjoy bournemouth but with the sunday disco being a washout and having to put up with one of the lads acting a complete dickhead all weekend i didn't enjoy it as much as last year, weather and show and shine not withstanding.

mightymini

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 05:02 PM »
bikes were made for riding, bmx tracks were made for riding on  8)
all of you who managed to ride well done, those who didnt shame on you.
seen mr chimp up on the gate on more than one occasion well done dude. these meetings are what YOU make of them

steve

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 05:13 PM »
i concur

and put this too you, there should be an old school class at every race event

-you only have to ask
?

scary_leary

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 06:08 PM »
We need an os meet at a proper os track..

apart from bournmouth, ive raced every event ive been too..

but ive no experience as i don't ride bmx's much, i just can't race
around these new tracks, as they are quite technical..
instead of racing at speed againest the others your always trying just too get round
without endo-ing over every fackin whoop..

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 06:17 PM »
Good thing about old school gates is they are utimately fun.  If you want to try and win a race go for it.  If you are happy just to go round at your own pace thats cool too. :)
Neil

SammyVee

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 06:48 PM »
 :) I took my Aero Reflex down, built from entirely new old stock ! Was gaggin to go on the track but without a helmet... no chance.. Got a go at the end of the day though so was more than happy.. Shame I cant ride more often as I live in Birmingham and nobody can be bothered to build a new track or repair any of the old ones...

birdieman

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Guys youve just got to have a go!
Decided whilst in practice that the track was too tuff to try hard, but when the gate dropped i must of gone for it as off came the chain and the bb was loose.!!!
It was so good lining up next to great riders like Tim Print in my heats and Billy in the semi.
Will definately  try again!!!!
O'h yeh i think if kids are going to get into the sport the tracks need a few less jumps just like the old days that bournemouth track was so tough!!!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 06:53 PM »
It wasn`t just us that found it hard, the ambulance on the national on Sunday was hardly stationary for more than 10 mins, most of the time it was ferrying riders to hospital  :o
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 07:38 PM »
i went round a few times, but neglected to bring enough cash to register and race....balls. mind you i would have only roled round and its still good to just relax and watch everyone else sweat
I want to touch ORB

Bren Gunn

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 07:42 PM »
No reason not to race, it's a good laugh in the not arsed class and no pressure to be any good. Hopefuly the next old school bash will be a bit more central :)

Bren  ;)

steve

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 07:59 PM »
No reason not to race, it's a good laugh in the not arsed class and no pressure to be any good. Hopefuly the next old school bash will be a bit more central :)

Bren  ;)

AND EVERYONE WOULD HAVE PRACTISED A BIT ;)
-AND OF COURSE THE CUT OFF DATE IS FIRMLY ESTABLISHED AT PRE 85 ONLY ON EVERY COMPONENT
 ;D - OF COURE BAR CONSUMABLES - TYRES, BRAKE PADS, CHAINS, GRIPS :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:04 PM by steve »

mightymini

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 08:20 PM »
i concur

and put this too you, there should be an old school class at every race event

-you only have to ask
?
its hard to get old schoolers fired up enough to go out and race. there was a o.s. race at coppul this year and we only managed to get 8 riders then at mk i think there was only 9.
lazy alchoholic old schoolers, should all be rounded up and made to ride there rarest bike hard and fast over the bournmouth step up  ;D

rukus

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 08:31 PM »
it was a great day for the old schoolers,the track was a bit much though,even the not arsed wanted to put on a race but the track just a bit too daunting. 

mightymini

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 08:35 PM »
na, dauntings doing the nationals in the 30+ on a os ride

MeddlE

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 09:21 PM »
one of the lads acting a complete dickhead all weekend

Who was that?  Hope it wasn't me.

greentoad

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Hi all...

It sounds like you all had a giggle.

I must say if I was there I would have had a blast, however what does it cost nowadays (insurance, entry etc).

I'd be in for a few old school races but would want to be fairly central.

Royston Rockets used to be my track and all the other EA meets, but even RR is a tricky track now, I have heard that it is really a hard ride - and I for sure would not want to break a rare and exspensive pice of BMX history.

I'm up for a blast if ever there is a 'Rad' UK tour of old early 80's tracks, and I know that I could get a few to race too.

;)

Lets get Gamlingay going again.........

http://mkcrewbmx.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=os&action=display&thread=1119544486&page=1

greentoad

oldmankev

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 11:37 PM »
This event has got me hooked again so its MK this week
Bristol next, too late for Cheddar this year maybee 06 !!

darren

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 11:40 PM »
on it where so many more of you should have been , but seeing as you all have nice shiny bikes that you dont want to get dusty we only had about 20 of us out there.
how about building an oldschool bike to use???  now that would be radical!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  So where were you all when the gate dropped??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx